Help

Third Grade

For Next Year

>

bella10

For Next Year
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year will be second year teaching third! I'm happy to have one full year of experience behind me now, and there are already so many things I want to improve on and do differently next year. But, there's always room for even more learning and improvement, which is why I'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts.

What kinds of things do you find yourself changing and improving before the start of a new school year!?

bella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I assign myself a summer project each year
Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One summer I collected a poem a day to share with my class.

Another summer I collected a riddle a day to share with my class.

One summer I wrote a Shape of the Week program to help my students with geometry vocabulary.

I developed a DOL with short writings for students to edit. I wrote about our school mascot, history and traditions mostly. I also wrote about areas we study, so the DOL would be personalized for my students.

Last summer I created a program I call Scientist of the Week to get my students more excited about science.

This summer I am hoping to create weekly vocabulary units that take words from science, social studies and literature. I want to have games they can play for practice with any words. I also want some different graphic organizers that we can use. I have already started collecting form all the smart teachers on PT.

I also try to read a couple of professional books each summer.

Chose something you are passionate about improving.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

scrapits

My partner teacher and I
Old 05-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

are very ambitious! We are changing our whole writing program. We will be doing writing workshops. Of course the other day I found out that we are getting a new writing program, but we don't know what it is called. We do know it involves trade books. We already have 6 Traits.

We also want to do reading workshops and ILP's for each child. We have a very busy summer, but we're excited about how this will help our kids.
scrapits is offline   Reply With Quote

bella10

Writing Workshop
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Scrapit... I'd love to hear details about your writing program and reading workshop. I am the only third grade teacher at my school, and the support here is kind of low. I am a new teacher and need all the help I can get! Thank you so much, I appreciate it!
bella10 is offline   Reply With Quote