Help

Third Grade

Grading READING and LANGUAGE ARTS

>

bella10

Grading READING and LANGUAGE ARTS
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm preparing for next year! Definitely need to make some changes in the grades I collect for reading and language arts.

I do a weekly reading assessment and weekly vocabulary test, which are the only components that make up the students' reading grades. For language arts, I give frequent grammar quizzes and every week they turn in a writing assignment, which are the only components that make up their english grades.

I feel like I need more for both subjects in order to help their average. What other assignments/activities do you grade, or what other tests do you give for these two subjects? It's hard because reading and english seem so broad, and assessment for both is so vague and based on my own judgment... that worries me!

Thanks for your feedback.

bella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Language Arts Grades
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For reading my students read mostly novels. I take at least two grades on each novel. One is the AR grade they take online after completing the book. The other is usually questions or a reading response. Our grading periods are nine weeks and we read two to three novel per grading period.

I also take at least one fluency grade each nine weeks. I allow students to practice reading a poem for a week. Then they read it aloud for me and the class. I use the attached rubric to grade their fluency. My favorite poems are holiday poems by Jack Prelutsky (It's Halloween, It's Thanksgiving, It's Christmas, It's Valentine's Day) or Mary Ann Hoberman's series called You Read To Me, I'll Read To You (these are poems for two voices so students work in pairs).

I also give one grade for listening comprehension. They take a test after listening to me read a story and I use that for a grade. Sometimes this is an AR test. Sometimes it is a test I made up.

I use weekly book bags with my third graders. They have to read one of the two picture books from the bag each week and write me a reading response. This reading response is a grade.

I try to give them a craft to make each week or two. They have to read and follow the directions to be successful. I will not help them, but i do allow them to help one another, look at the sample I made earlier and start over if they mess up. They are very proud of their end product when they are done. I use mostly paper crafts like a pinwheel, Chinese lantern, origami, snowflake....

I usually end up with 15 to 20 reading grades.

Our writing includes spelling, so there is always a weekly spelling test grade. We write something every two to three weeks. I usually grade the rough draft and the final essay. I sometime have grammar work sheets that I use for a grade, but not often. I consider them practice for the most part. I want to see those skills incorporated into their writing rather than just produced in isolation for the most part. I teach my students to write film summaries, so when I show a film in science or social studies, I sometimes count the film summary as a writing grade rather than a content grade. I also count one reading response each grading period as a writing grade.

Again I end up with 15 or so grades.

I hope something I said is helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fluency_rubric.pdf (15.3 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by 1956BD; 05-13-2011 at 01:24 PM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

hello3

Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At my school we are not allowed to give any kind of grade for AR.
hello3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Ar
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can understand that since it is a multiple choice test that takes very little thinking. That is why I do not use it as the only tool to grade as a reading assessment. I feel the tests I use ask fair questions that all the students should be able to answer easily if they paid attention at all to what they read and our discussions about the book.

TeachNTn

following directions craft
Old 05-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love to hear more about your following directions craft. I think this is a great idea.

TeachNTn is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Crafts
Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One summer I checked out craft books for children from my public library. I had the most success with the ones for paper crafts only. I read them and tried out the crafts myself. I found many that were not clearly written. When I found one that was clearly written that I liked I made a copy. Some have pictures to help with each step and others are mostly words. I keep my master copies in a large notebook. I also stored the samples I made, next to the instructions, in a pocket type holder that also goes into the notebook.

When I give these to students to do they know I will not help them. I just keep saying reread the instructions and try again. I do allow the students to help one another though. I also allow them to inspect my sample. Sometimes seeing the finished product is helpful. I also have extra supplies, so they can start over if they mess up.

Over time this process really helps them to read and follow directions better. They are very proud of themselves when they complete each craft. Some want to make a second one, so if I can, I allow them to take home additional supplies and the instructions.

They think we do this for fun rather than as a lesson.

We have made snowflakes, Chinese lanterns, pinwheels, the strings of cut out dolls (I created a template of connecting aliens for the boys to do), door knob message plates and more.

I also bought a book of simple origami patterns to use. I ask parents to donate this paper as it is more expensive. We have also used colored computer paper cut down to a square. You can find this online though, there is no need to buy a book. The cup is an easy one to do. It will actually hold water once. There is also a simple boat that will float. There are a few easy animals like a cat, dog and dolphin.

I hope this information is helpful.

tjordan

craft book
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would love the title of the craft books you used. Also...do you have a film summary template. That is a great idea! Thanks! I love Proteacher!
tjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM79

Film strip summary...
Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would love to hear more about how you use the film strip summary. I love this idea. I always struggle with showing videos for science and social studies because I wish I had a better way to hold them accountable for their learning from watching the video. This sounds like a perfect idea!!!
MrsM79 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Five Sentence Summary
Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Topic sentence tells the name of the film. Then tell three facts you learned from the film. I try to teach them to pick out the big ideas rather than details. Each fact is another sentence. Then write a one sentence conclusion. The conclusion should include an opinion or ask a question that you would like to know more about. Short and sweet, so it can be done quickly and pretty painlessly.

At the beginning of the year I model how to do it and we write the summary together. Then after four or five films, I start turning over the responsibility to them. For a few I write the first and last sentence for them and they fill in the middle. Then I just help with conclusions. Finally, they do it all.

Last edited by 1956BD; 05-15-2011 at 04:48 PM..

1956BD

Craft Books
Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sorry, I don't remember any titles. I had to read close to fifty books to find enough good crafts. It was amazing how many are not written clearly.