Help

Third Grade

Planning for the Year... Need help!

>

bella10

Planning for the Year... Need help!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all, I'd love to hear WHEN you teach each math concept, and about how long you spend on each. I know that many concepts are evolving throughout the entire school year, but I need to figure out when to INTRODUCE and really TEACH each one. State testing is late March for my school. So, here are the concepts, straight from my Math book (Sadlier-Oxford Progress in Mathematics):

Place Value
Addition, Subtraction
Multiplication
Division
Statistics and Probability
Measurement and Time
Geometry
Fractions
Decimals

I will definitely teach and lock down place value, addition, and subtraction skills in the beginning of the year before moving onto any others! Please let me know how you schedule/plan it. Thanks!!!

bella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

LarkspurLady

Math Topics
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district uses enVision math. Here's last year's pacing guide:

August Week 1 and 2 - Place Value
August Week 3 and 4 - Addition
September Week 1 - Addition
September Week 2 - Subtraction
September Week 3 - Subtraction
September Week 4 - Multiplication
October Week 1 - 3 - Multiplication
October Week 4 - Multiplication/Division
November Week 1 - 2- Division
November Week 3 - Division/#Patterns & Relationships
December Week 1 - Number Patterns
December Week 2 and 3 - Geometry
January Week 2 - Geometry/Symmetry
January Week 3 - Symmetry
January Week 4 - Fractions
February Week 1 and 2 - Fractions
February Week 3 - Decimals
February Week 4 - Measurement
March Week 1 - Measurement
March Week 2 - Perimeter/Area/Volume
March Week 3 and 4 - Combinations/Multiplying Greater Numbers
April Week 1 and 2 - Data/Graphs/Probability
April Week 3 and 4 - Year End Math Review
May Week 1 - Review
May Week 2 - State Tests

Note: The weeks above are broad. For instance, I didn't necessarily spend just one week on Decimals in February Week 3. I may have used several days from Week 2 and Week 4.

Time and Money are taught daily through our third grade team's "Math Meeting", similar to Saxon but meets our state's needs. Long division is briefly introduced (not state tested) in the spring.............My recommendation is to continually build on skills - don't leave a skill just because a new chapter is introduced.................Of course, the Core Curriculum will change this whole pacing guide. I'm OK with change. May 2012 will be the last time our state uses the "old state tests".
LarkspurLady is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmeifucan

I taught 3rd too
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught 3rd grade this past year with this series. I am moving to 4th but I realized toward the end that I could have spent way less time on addition and subtraction---things could have been combined and not one lesson each day; especially if you are reviewing the facts over and over with time test; mad minutes, etc... The state I'm from, the students are not assessed at the state level on fractions and decimals, so I teach those concepts after testing. I would definitely do measurement/time more towards the beginning of the year, so you can work on time everyday and measurement is a very difficult concept so it can be reviewed off and on throughout the year. (Just my opinion though) Multiplication facts are quite important so it can be tied into repeated addition, but I spent way too long on subtraction and then had to play catch up later on. Hope this helps.
teachmeifucan is offline   Reply With Quote

HookEmTeacher

pacing
Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Your students will definitely help you know how long to spend on each subject. Of course we'd love for all of our kids to come in knowing place value, addition, and subtraction (and some do), but not everybody will. Some subjects take longer with anyway, like multiplication and division, because most students haven't seen that yet (in school at least). Here's the order we teach at my school:

Place Value
Addition, Subtraction
Multiplication
Division
Fractions (I like this right after mult & div because those subjects both talk about equal groups, and we call fractions "fair shares" at the beginning).
Geometry
Measurement and Time
Statistics and Probability
Decimals (this is not required for 3rd in Tx, but I start teaching them at the end of the year)

Throughout the year we also work on problem solving (word problems) with every subject.
HookEmTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

YankeeDoodle7

Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Every year it seems to change for us. It will probably change this year too since we are getting a new math series. Last year we did it like this:

Place Value
Money (Making Change)
Addition, Subtraction
Data and Graphing
Multiplication
Division
Fractions
Measurement and Time
Geometry
Division with Remainders (not req for 3rd, we introduce it at the end of the yr.)

YankeeDoodle7 is offline   Reply With Quote