Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Yep, I'm guilty...

>

melonjar

Yep, I'm guilty...
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 PM

I'm a teacher and did a horrible job of keeping my own child reading every day over the summer. I know I should have done a better job. I see how it can be difficult for parents because life can get busy (and fun). I did not make it a priority and I wish I had. She only read occasionally on her own, but my DH or I read TO her every night. So I guess at least she heard stories. She didn't write or practice math facts either. Sigh. I hope she didn't slide too far behind. I didn't make it a priority and I admit it.

melonjar is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 PM

I am in the same club as you! I suck but we had a GREAT summer
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

3rdgradequeen

reading
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 PM

I didn't either. School starts in a couple weeks and I am trying to get her in the habit of reading a chapter before bed, but it's hard. I'm lad I'm not the only one...
3rdgradequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 AM

I teach Lang. Arts and am a voracious reader, but despite my good efforts when my DS was younger, he is not a reader. It bums me out. He is going to college soon and has yet to finish the assigned summer reading. I read to him all the time, we were frequent library patrons (we even won "library family of the year" when he was like, 8) and we went to the book store to buy books that he liked. But now, he only reads if he has to. I am hoping that changes as he gets older. He grew up in a home that is full of books...

It's hard to make them read when they don't want to. But as a middle school LA teacher, I can absolutely tell (by the writing I have them do for me the first few days of school) which kids read and which kids do not. The readers have a much more sophisticated style of writing. But I agree, it is hard to make them read when they do not want to.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 AM

I think it is important for all teachers to read this thread and remember it, too. WHile I think it is important that we try to encourage families to make reading (and writing and practicing math facts) a part of their schedule, in reality it is very difficult to do so sometimes.

Life is crazy fast sometimes.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

deb603

reading everyday
Old 08-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Thank you for writing this! I've been feeling soooo guilty. I'm a teacher after all and haven't had dd read every day or practice math facts. I feel like a failure Well, she still has 2 weeks to go and I've been really trying to get her into the habit before school starts. Maybe it'll give her a boost before school starts.
I can see how sometimes life gets in the way...
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM

None of my close teacher friends made their children read over the summer. I did have my own DD read, but she wasn't thrilled. We made a list of educational and fun things that we wanted to accomplish this summer, and we did all the things on the list except swimming lessons.
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

melonjar

Feeling so much better...
Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM

hearing that there are other TEACHERS out there who are in the same boat as I. After talking with my DD about the lack of reading this summer, she says, "Well, why didn't you MAKE me." What? Lock her in her room until she reads? We laughed about it, but today when I mentioned reading, she asked me to set the timer and off she went! So, maybe reading each day the week before is better than nothing!
melonjar is offline   Reply With Quote

amigurumi

Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Me too! When I taught, I sent a special letter home at the end of the year with a list of books appropriate for the grade level, encouraging parents to include reading in their summer plans. I had all kinds of plans to do that with DGS and DGD this summer, and we read very little. Sports and swimming took center stage and by the time they wound down enough to read, they were asleep!!!
amigurumi is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Oh, I'm with you. I tried, I really did, but life gets busy and fun. Plus DD is with dad for half of the week, and that's not a big priority for him.

FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishmama

Math facts?!?!?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM

We're supposed to practice those over the summer? Oops! She's going into 1st, so it's probably not the worst thing in the world.....she does do a lot of reading though!
Englishmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Combow

Being a parent puts things into perspective
Old 08-14-2013, 02:05 PM

While Reading and Math facts are important, so is just being a kid and enjoying summer and family fun. Sounds like each of the posters and their children enjoyed their summers. Just remember that when your own students come into the school year.

One year I did not realize that my home district changed their starting date and kept my son home from school on the first day. It made me realize that things happen in real families so it makes me more understanding of my students' families.

Do not fret, things will come back to them once school starts!
Combow is offline   Reply With Quote

packerfan

I might as well
Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 PM

join in too. I tried to be good about this, but did not do to well.
packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM

Those activities you do together as a familyin the summer are just as important, and reading to her - the best thing you can do even after they learn to read themselves!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote