Help

Third Grade

go math users

>

mom23kids

go math users
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question about how to do the lesson.
Before we begin a chapter we were told to do the SHOW WHAT YOU KNOW and this determines the Tier 2 and Tier 3 students for the ENTIRE chapter.
So, my question is: When I do a lesson (let's say 1.1) and I do the quick check and notice that some of the kids missed the checked ones, THEY do the reteach page...The Teachers edition doesn't say what the Tier 2 and Tier 3 should be doing. And if the reteach page requires teacher support, then how can one teacher support the Tier 2 and Tier 3 kids? Please advise and no one at my school can figure this out.
Thank you

PS. I posted this on busyboard but got no responses and I really need to know this. I know there are gomath users here and hoping you guys will see this here.

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

NY07

Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I think that if a student does not master the quick check, then they are supposed to do the reteach... it seems like it is a fluid system, groups can change daily, based on the needs of the students...

I hope this is right.. I think it will take a while until everyone gets used to the new system
NY07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Calithecat

GoMath
Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a very brief training in June by a representative from the company. It is my understanding that the Show What You Know is used as a quick check to determine the students who understand a concept and those who will require additional support/small group time.
Calithecat is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The show what you know is supposed to be used to determine the students that DO NOT have the pre requisite skills for the upcoming chapter and they are the Tier 2 and Tier 3 kids through out the entire chapter. So my question is...
During the actual lessons (1.1, 1.2, etc) the kids that get the checked ones wrong in the share and show, they get the reteach page. The ones that got it right do the "on your own" or the 'grab and go "
What about the Tier 2 and Tier 3 kids that were already determined to need that intensive support. The TE does not say anything about them.

We could have the rep come back and give us more PD, but it's 3500 per day!

Last edited by mom23kids; 09-07-2013 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: PS Thank you for responding. WE're confused!

mrs_c

Old 09-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am pretty sure there's a separate strategic intervention teachers manual and book to use. If you go to thinkcentral and sign in to view the resources, you can see the pages. At least I can when I sign on, but I'm not sure if we had to pay extra for that or anything. Hope that helps!

mrs_c is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mrs c...yes, I can see that and we do have that book. But, I'm wondering : the kids that are supposed to be in the strategic or intensive intervention I assume will always do those pages with teacher support. Then what about the kids in reteach...How does it all flow??

haindrews

Exactly!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have just begun to use Go Math! as well. None of our training even bothered to explain how one teacher is supposed to run these multi-tiered groups, as only the Challenge is student-led and there are only enough games for 2-4 students at a time and right now, we are trying to figure out Soar to Success, but only have 4 computers in our classrooms and it is a very user-unfriendly program (from the teacher end of it, at least). How do you like that for a run-on sentence? I am using VOICE in my SENTENCE FLUENCY to show my frustration.
haindrews is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

ugh
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

UGHHHH...When I went to the PD over the summer I asked the instructor to please do a mock lesson. She said it wasn't in the plan for the day!
I guess we're just going to have to figure it out. We had this guy named Grigg..(am I allowed to say his last name?) Is that who "sold" the program and explained it to you guys?

mrs_c

Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here's how I think about it:

-Tier 1 is whole group, so the regular Go Math book.
-Tier 2 is your kids who didn't get it, so your reteach pages. These kids will be different every day, depending on who needs extra help.
-Tier 3 is your strategic intervention kids, who you decided on from the pretest and will stay that way throughout the chapter. At our school, we also add kids into Tier 3 if they stay in Tier 2 consistently and still aren't "getting it".

As far as how the lesson runs, here's what I do: I actually do guided math rotations and teach the whole group lesson in small groups. If any of my kids don't get it in the small group, when they go back to their seat to do individual work, they do the reteach pages. Typically they can do them by themselves, because the reteach pages have directions and explain what they want them to do. If they still don't understand after the reteach pages, or any kid that I have already decided needs to be in a Tier 3 group, they come back to me at a separate time for the strategic intervention. This is NOT part of my 60 minute math block. We are required to have a reading and a math intervention time separate from our reading or math block.

If you don't do guided math you could still use this same set up...I would shoot for a 45 min. whole group lesson, have students do work individually, and meet with a small group for the reteach lesson of students who didn't understand. Then, at a separate time, meet with strategic intervention kids.

Does that help any?

mom23kids

Mrs. C
Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Mrs. C: YES, That helps trememdously. so we're not crazy in our school for not getting how to run 3 teacher guided groups at once.
I can totally see doing the intensive/or strategic intervention at a different time other than math. THAT makes sense and is manageable. One last question: the kids that will do the strategic or intensive intervention later, what are they doing during the math block, the reteach page?? Thanks so much for your input.

mrs_c

Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

, No, unless we clone ourselves I don't think they've come up with a way to have us run 3 groups at once!!

In my room, my strategic kids finish the Go Math page and do the reteach page during their individual work center. In a traditional "whole group" lesson, I would have them complete the Go Math page with the class during whole group, then pull them with the other kids that need Tier 2 reteach page. My strategic kids get all 3 pulls; Tier 1 (which is whole group), Tier 2 (reteach page) and Tier 3 (strategic intervention).