Help

Third Grade

Question for Trifold Users

>

TexTea

Question for Trifold Users
Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious how you use the trifolds ... do you have them complete a section a day, wait until you are finished and use as an assessment, or just how do you use them with the kids. I have always really liked them but have not used them because I was told Journeys is only to be a resource.
Thanks!

TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Calithecat

Trifolds
Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, I would be remiss if I didn't thank Champ and Laurenta for sharing their excellent Journeys trifolds.

I use the trifolds this way. The genre and/or vocabulary portions are used for the first reading (Day 1). Then, the other parts of the trifold are used for the second reading (Day 2). Hope this helps.
Calithecat is offline   Reply With Quote

laurenta

CC writing
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have to say... the trifolds have really helped my students with text evidence writing. I grade the trifolds by taking three or four points a panel (depending on the question). My students MUST TTQA (turn the question around). This basically means they restate. Then they must use their book and find text evidence to answer and support their answer. Since doing these once per week since the first story my kids' writing has gotten soooooo much better. I also have them use RACES (R=restate, A=answer the question, C=cite specific information, E=explain why it's important, and S=sum it up!). Also, to answer your question... I use the trifolds after we have read and discussed the story. My class completes them independently. I know some teachers who use them in a center... however, I find my students to do better work in the trifolds by just doing them whole group. Hope this helps!
laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 12-11-2013, 11:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine do them in partners, but they are 2nd graders....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote