>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Third Grade Get-Together!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Third Grade teachers!

Join us for a back-to-school get-together with other Third Grade teachers right here on the Third Grade Board.

Tell us: what is special to you about teaching Third Grade? Also, feel free to share anything you'd like to share about yourself or your teaching interests. If you're a brand new teacher, let us know that too. Let's see who we have here!

New Members welcome!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Teaching Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my 11th year to teach third grade and 24th year to teach public school. I love third graders. They are old enough to be independent with bathroom needs, they tie their own shoes and blow their own noses. Yea! At the same time they are young enough that they still love their teacher (at least most of the time ) and their hormones have not been activated yet. Yea again! They are truly the perfect age to teach in my opinion. I have taught preschool through high school and I love this age!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

RPLK

What is special to me...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to teach first grade before moving to 3rd five years ago, and I always swore I'd go back if I had the opportunity. I loved teaching those little first graders! Now, though, I absolutely love my third graders! The thing I love the most is that they are still so excited to come to school and learn, and they still want to please their teacher. They're also much more independent than my first graders...no tying shoes or buttoning coats. It's a wonderful grade to teach!
RPLK is offline   Reply With Quote

whistler

Third grade
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love this age, as well as the third grade curriculum. I love how they mature throughout the year. I love how they don't understand riddles in September, and then are experts at telling them as well as making them up in the spring. I love how they still love school, and still love their teacher. I love how they have lots of ideas. And, I love their overall honesty.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote

Latergirl

Yes, 1956bd:)
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always say that 3rd graders are old enough to be independent, but young enough to not be too cool for fun and they still LOVE their teacher. The PERFECT grade in my opinion!!

Latergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

me41

Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my third year in third grade (my golden year) after spending many years teaching kindergarten and first grade.

I have found third graders sweet, more independent and still innocent. They can carry on an intelligent conversation, but still like to color, cut, and glue.

I find that third is a big transition year and challenging to teach. As we look to taking PARCC for the very first time, I hoping we are up for the challenge.
me41 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love teaching 3rd grade. I love how they shift from learning to read to reading to learn. I love how they're so enthusiastic about everything and THINK they're so grown up. They also think I'm funny (most of the time), enjoy hearing about my dogs and love telling me about themselves. And what they say is hysterical.

I also enjoy the challenge of getting them prepared for standardized testing for the first time. It will be interesting to see how PARCC goes but also assuring them that, in the end, what matters is how they've improved in other areas (IE: reading levels, etc).

I'm also super lucky to be working with a real "team" for the first time in my 12 year career. We plan together, send each other links, pins, etc. After jumping districts, and buildings I feel as if I've finally found my home (I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop ).
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love teaching third grade. As other posters have already said, they are mostly independent, but young enough to still love school, and their teacher. I enjoy teaching the grade 3 curriculum and preparing them for their first year of standardized testing.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TizzieLizzie

Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I started my 35th year last week! I can't believe I've been teaching this long and still love it! I have taught Kindergarten, First, Second, and Third. The best part is I did them in order! I've been in third for six years now. I am definitely a primary teacher at heart. Although we have much to accomplish in third grade, I always find time to do art, cooking, dancing, and singing. We move around quite a bit during our day and the kids love it.

What I love most about third grade is they are so interested in learning about our world. They love non-fiction! Many of my students go home each day and do more research and come in and share what they've learned. This certainly keeps me on my toes and inspires me to read as much as I can!

You definitely can teach an old dog new tricks!
TizzieLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is the start of my 27th year of teaching. I have taught many grades and abilities over the years but 3rd grade is truly the best. These kids are old enough that they can do thing independently but they are young enough that they still like school, are excited about learning, and love me! Probably the reason 3rd grade is so special is that my mom taught 3rd grade. I always said that if I could be half the teacher my mom was, then I would be amazing. I'm still working on being half the teacher my mom was!

Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

The growth!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Student growth during third grade is absolutely phenomenal and so much fun to watch! They start out as "old" second-graders, young, uncertain, a little frisky. In January, suddenly they're beginning to work like old hands. Their pace picks up; their understanding grows. By May, they are flying--so accomplished, so organized and creative, so adept at what they're doing. It is a joy and privilege to be a small part of that growth!
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I Love Third Grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm beginning my 10th year of teaching 1st grade, out of 11 years of teaching. Even though we have high stakes testing, I wouldn't willingly trade grades for the world.

3rd graders are excited about school, their teacher, reading. They like it when I let them write on dry erase boards. They can tell the same old cheesy joke a hundred times and still laugh. If I compliment one student, you can visibly see the rest of the class shape up.

I love my team. We work together. We balance each other's strengths and weaknesses. We each contribute what we can and talk over our ideas until we get the best of all worlds.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

CarrieMerri

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is my 15th year teaching and my 7th year in third grade. I love teaching third grade because it is such a transitional year. Each year is different from the last (each DAY is different from the last). I know that every single day I'm going to hear at least one thing from my students that makes me laugh out loud.
CarrieMerri is offline   Reply With Quote

ThirdGrade345

Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just started teaching Third Grade last January and I absolutely love it. I love that the students are independent, but still love their teacher and learning. I also love the curriculum, we have so many great novels, multiplication, and the solar system.
ThirdGrade345 is offline   Reply With Quote

finchfeeder

Love! Love! Love!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

After subbing many different grade levels, I KNEW that 3rd Grade would be the BEST! The enthusiasm, the willingness to try, the joy of reading, the smiles every morning ~ I am in the perfect place <3
finchfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachn918

<3 Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am on my fifth year teaching third grade. This is also my fifth year teaching in general! I have only worked with third grade students and I absolutely love it! It is the prefect grade. They are independent, but yet they still need you. I have learned so much from my third grade students throughout the years. They teach me new and different approaches to things; which I find so fascinating and helpful!
Teachn918 is offline   Reply With Quote

rehcaet

3rd Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Third grade is a great grade to teach. I was in 4th and was sad to switch but here I am starting my 6th year of teaching third. Hard to imagine this is also my 10th year of teaching! The time does go by fast. I am happy to say that I really am looking forward to the next 10 ( well, most likely more until its time to retire). I can't wait to meet my new students tomorrow!
rehcaet is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I love seeing the growth they make throughout the year. They start out as second graders who still require a lot of directions and mature to students who becoming very independent. I love seeing the growth in books they are choosing to read, some from picture books to early chapter books to novels. I love that they still love coming to school.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

ENGINEERX

Third Grade Rocks!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This is my 16th year teaching 3rd grade. I knew I would love this grade when I completed my student teaching in a 3rd grade class. Every year I have been blessed with a great group of kids, even though some pickles sneak their way into my room! This grade really is my dream grade and I wouldn't want to leave it.
ENGINEERX is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

3rd Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I looped with my 2nd graders to 3rd 3 years ago, thinking that I would probably go back down. Nope!
I really enjoy the curriculum and how we can just do so many things by the end of the year. Of course, September is always a fog for me by June.
With the way our science and SS is set up, I have found that working on lapbooks and flipbooks is super engaging and they are so ready for that type of instruction. Especially by the spring, when I can say to them - here's your non-fiction text, choose what you feel is important and add it to your notes in your lapbook.
I have loved reading what other PTers are saying about 3rd - we all seem to feel the same way about our grade
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

monarchlover

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Third grade has been my grade of choice for about 30 years. There have been lots of changes in teaching and "tools" but the 8-9 year olds haven't themselves changed so much. (Outside influences, families, yes). They are so happy to see teachers and friends! They want to learn, please others, and be liked. I love to see the independence at this level grow. It is IMHO the best elementary grade...love those children!
monarchlover is offline   Reply With Quote

alicarjac

The Life of a Third Grade Teacher
Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

This is my 7th year teaching and I have always taught third grade. Third grade is an interesting and challenging grade to teach. They come in as babies, but are required to do so much! It's a huge transitions for students. This year I am working for a new school system and I feel like a first year teacher all over again. This first month has been a challenge for me as I am still learning new curriculum and this system's way of doing things , but I am up for the challenge
alicarjac is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

third
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I love third grade!! I came from 4th kicking and screaming 8 years ago and now I NEVER want to leave They are soooo sweet and believe EVERYTHING I tell them Of course, there are challenges with third graders too. But the good out ways the bad.
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

mirchey

3rd grade rocks
Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I love 3rd grade! I loop up with my 2nd graders to 3rd grade, it is wonderful. I have been teaching for 15 years. I have taught 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. This will be my 4th time in 3rd grade. I love how they are independent yet still interested in learning!
mirchey is offline   Reply With Quote

Dutchie's Mom

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

This is my 24th year teaching. Wow! How time flies when you enjoy what you are doing!

I have taught multiple levels over the years. I have been teaching 3rd grade for 8 years now and I think it is my favorite grade to teach. I love the curriculum- teaching students multiplication and long division is so much fun. The students soak up the information and always want to continue doing Math. I also love how they become more independent with both Reading and with all areas in their lives. Watching third graders grow is amazing. They start off coming to us as little second graders still and by January they have developed into independent thinkers who are ready to move on!

At this level they also still enjoy school! They are not fresh (for the most part) !

I enjoyed reading what every one wrote! What a great way to start the new year! I hope everyone has a wonderful 2014-2015 school year!!!!

Dutchie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

westwitch

Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

They're old enough not to wet their pants or throw up in my shoes (that would have been my one glorious year teaching K); they still "believe" in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and they don't reek of B. O. until the very end of the school year...

Seriously, they are my favorite grade to teach! They are able to work in groups, follow directions, blossom as individuals and become more comfortable taking risks. Who could ask for more?
westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
jvanre

jvanre

3rd Grade Rocks
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I've been teaching 3rd grade now for about 6 years. I couldn't imagine teaching a different grade. I love seeing them grow from little second graders to life-long learners by the end of third grade.

prechrswife

Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This is my third year in third grade, after teaching mostly older (5th & 6th) and younger (PreK) age groups. I love this age because there is still a lot of "kid" in the students, but they are getting more mature and more independent. I love to watch the transformation that happens between lower elementary and upper elementary during the third grade year.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

rrony

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Third and fourth grade are my favorite grade to teach. It's the transitional stage between pre-teen and child. I love the material I'm teaching.
rrony is offline   Reply With Quote

JayLo

What is special about teaching third grade?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I love teaching third grade. The children love you and school. They are open to challenges and enjoy learning new things. Third graders are enthusiastic about nearly everything that's asked of them. They are inquisitive, too. Third graders make me strive to do more and be more for them every day! One of the best things is that they are social conscious of what is and isn't acceptable with their peers, and as a result they don't let snot roll down their faces. They also know when they are going to throw up and leave the room before it happens.

I also love teaching third grade because they tell the best little tales. They make me laugh which makes every day special.
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote

ryamsmom

Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I've taught everything from age 2 to grade 3. Third is by far my favorite. They are still super sweet but think they are so big when they walk in as new third graders! Another reason I love this age group is that most of them get my sarcasm! It's easy to have a lot of fun with them (which is important in this "retention year" in Florida).
ryamsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

What is special to me about 3rd grade….
Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

is that they're old enough to be independent but young enough to still adore me!

Something interesting about me is that I DID NOT want to teach 3rd grade. I was a 5th grade teacher and my principal asked me to move down to teach 3rd and loop with a class up to 4th grade. Even though she asked me, I knew she could force me to go, so I did it willingly. I absolutely LOVED it! After looping that one year, I asked to stay in 3rd all the time and she let me! That was 10 years ago and I'm still enjoying it.

My favorite part of 3rd is doing read alouds. I've always enjoyed reading to kids, and I know many don't have parents who fill that role so I always make that a part of our day.

This board is a wonderful resource and encouragement, no matter how long we've been teaching - I always learn something new.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

seslick

seslick
Old 09-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I love that third graders are inbetween. They aren't little kids so the don't need me hovering over them but the aren't big enough to think they know it all.

Last edited by seslick; 09-01-2014 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: typing error
seslick is offline   Reply With Quote

ncteach3

I second
Old 09-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

everything everyone has posted about 3rd grade. They are old enough to be independent but not old enough for hormones and attitude to take over. I have an awesome team to work with and enjoy spending time with them each day.
I 3rd grade!
ncteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

wbes3s

Love Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

This is my 36th year teaching, 34 in Third Grade. We start tomorrow, and I can't wait. Third Graders are enthusiastic independent little people. They are able to do so much, but still have that sense of wonder and respect. Every year brings its challenges, especially as we constantly ramp up what we expect them to be able to do, but it is my favorite age. Have a wonderful year!!
wbes3s is offline   Reply With Quote

ppvillage

Third grade
Old 09-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I have taught grades two through six and third grade remains my favorite. The students are starting to be independent and can still "like" school! They love a challenge and look forward to new things each day.
ppvillage is offline   Reply With Quote

mitchellville

Third grade is special
Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I love teaching third grade because the students are still eager to learn and love their teacher. I most enjoy that this is the year to instill the love of reading - "reading to learn, not learning to read". Teaching multiplication is also rewarding!
mitchellville is offline   Reply With Quote

M&M Mom

22 years!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

This is my 22nd year in 3rd grade! I've never taught any other grade, so I can' t really compare. All I know is that I love the challenge of moving these little ones from being so dependent to being independent learners who can read and write about all they are learning. I've found that many of the parents need as much support as their kids. They themselves are quite unsure of the high expectations. I love when, at the end of the year, I can say to parents (with a wink and a smile of course), "I told you it would all be okay!"
M&M Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

KittyLitter

Third Grade Rocks
Old 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I have taught the intermediate elementary grades for 25 years. Last year was the first year with third graders and I absolutely LOVE them. I'm doing it again this year and hope to retire at this grade level. My most favorite thing about third graders is that they are easy to sell - so gullible - and my goodness, they are unfiltered!
KittyLitter is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

I love 3rd grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

This is my 8th year teaching, and my 3rd in 3rd! After having taught 4th, 5th, and technology k-5, I have found my happy place. I love 3rd grade! They are old enough to understand school (they know the basics and can typically follow common rules and procedures). They can handle their own bodily functions (going to the bathroom, blowing noses, putting on a bandaid, tying shoes). Their personalities are starting to really come out, but there are no hormones getting in the way yet. It is also amazing to watch how much they grow up during 3rd grade. I also love the content taught in 3rd (although some of these new CCSS and next generation science standards are tough to get used to). I would not change grades again by choice. I love 3rd and I hope to stay here for a very long time!
bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I have taught 3rd grade for 10 years and love, love, love it!

Third graders are magical beings. They come to us knowing so much, yet grow exponentially by the end of the year!

They love school. They are eager to learn. They aim to please. They are still good friends with all peers. They want to do well.
They are like sponges, soaking up new knowledge! They still love their teachers. I could go on and on...

I feel privileged that I get to teach 8 and 9 year olds!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I have been teaching for 9 years and this is my second year in 3rd grade. I moved up from second grade on a whim (plus one of the second grade teachers was going to have to move up to third and I thought it was time!)

I love that my third graders are a little more independent than second graders, but they still want the approval from their teacher and still look up to them.

They also seem to get my sense of humor and my sarcasm more than second graders and that is so much fun!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carson

Third graders
Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I totally agree! They're old enough for interesting conversations but not sassy yet. They can be funny on purpose and express deep thoughts and feelings.
Carson is offline   Reply With Quote

JJbomgaars

New
Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I am new to 3rd. I taught 4th last year and really enjoyed it. I know I will love 3rd. They are still interested in school and their teacher! I hope to incorporate more technology based activities. I'm excited to do the Globla read aloud and connect my students to other students from another state!! I also love proteacher for all the support and new ideas!
JJbomgaars is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

what's special about teaching 3rd
Old 09-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

This is my 14th year teaching 3rd graders. Most of them still like school, and the teacher. They come in very dependent on the teacher, but mature so much by mid year. It's fun to watch. Third Grade Rocks!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

champ

Third grade is awesome!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I have been teaching third grade for 18 years and I can't believe it has been that long. I love this age. They are somewhat independent, but still need me! They are loving and respectful and still have some innocence! Things have changed a lot in these 18 years, but kids are still kids. I love to share ideas and get new ideas. I am sitting down right now with books and the computer surrounding me looking for new lessons and ideas.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote

paco61

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I have been teaching 3rd grade for 9 years and I still love it. I love it for the same reasons mentioned above. They still love their teacher, most hormones haven't been activated, most love math, most can be talked into loving to read, easily entertained, love learning new things, and the list goes on and on. I just love the kids.
paco61 is offline   Reply With Quote

MelissainGA

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I have taught K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in two different states and can honestly say that third graders are DEFINITELY the best for many of the reasons stated by previous posters, they can blow their nose and tie their shoes on their own but are still young enough to love their teacher and enjoy learning.
MelissainGA is offline   Reply With Quote

cathy3

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I love third graders! I have taught first and second, but this is my second year back in third grade. I feel I can make a memorable difference with students of this age. I love their independence ... yet their dependence, too!
cathy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher1

Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I'm BRAND NEW to 3rd Grade.
I'm excited about the possibilities, the wonderful things mentioned above and working with children who have the skills that I worked so hard in first grade to develop. I hope to take those skills a bit further and see my little ones turn into "big kids" who have a great foundation for the upper grades.

Can't say I can say what's best...just can say that I'm excited to see the growth and experience the delight of third!
MNTeacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

seslava

5th year
Old 09-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

This is my 5th year teaching, and my 5th year in 3rd grade. Although I don't have experience with any other grade, I think 3rd is the best. My students grow so much during the year, and I love being a part of their transformation. One of my students asked me this year if I lived near my family, and my answer was no, they live on the other side of the country. Her reply was, "Well, we're your family!" So sweet and thoughtful, and so True! My students hold a special place in my heart and they really are like family.
seslava is offline   Reply With Quote
Mr.ABChristy

Mr.ABChristy

2nd year teacher
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I am a second-year third grade teacher and excited to read about the many 3rd Grade teachers on proteacher like me. What a great turnout! I look forward to learning a lot on here from name great experts who have been there before. I also enjoy sharing my ideas. I love to sing and laugh while we learn in our classroom.
Brianne Mays

Brianne Mays

1st Year
Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

This is my FIRST year teaching 3rd grade-second year teaching overall. Teaching 3rd grade is very special to me because it was my very favorite grade in elementary school, and this is my very favorite age group. I love working with students who have a love for learning but are slowly developing independence. It thrills my heart to see 8-year old kids learning that they can do it on their own--the amount of growth these kids are already beginning to show just a few weeks into school amazes me!

I have wanted to teach 3rd grade since I chose teaching as a profession. The learning that takes place in a 3rd grade classroom cannot be compared to any other grade, in my opinion. These students are moving past rote memorization and fluency, and into the conceptual world. They are learning strategies in math and reading. They are learning concepts in science and social studies, no longer are they memorizing types of animals or the 50 states. It's so wonderful to see that change in a child; to hear their statements turn from one word answers to full sentences explaining their thoughts. That is what I find special about 3rd graders. They are eager to please and willing to learn.

Can't imagine teaching another grade!

lucythree

Third Grade Love!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

This is the start of my 34th year of teaching, and my 25th in 3rd grade. I love going to work everyday. I can't imagine what it would be like to go to work if you didn't like your job. My third graders are so much fun. They still love school at this point and are such caring kids. I love that so many of them still believe in Santa and the tooth fairy and those that don't believe do not ruin it for them. They love my corny jokes and don't mind that I can't sing well. What more could you ask for?
lucythree is offline   Reply With Quote

Lexis

Love Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

Third grade was always so special to me because of my wonderful teacher. When I first got out of college 32 years ago, no job could be found. I became an assistant for my favorite third grade teacher and worked with her for two years. I learned more these two years than all four of college. When she retired, I took her place and had huge shoes to fill. I have been teaching third for thirty years and I still love it most all of the time.
Lexis is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

Tomorrow begins my 20 1/4 year in 3rd grade. I love this age. They come in with some foundational skills and have a zest for learning. They work well in mixed groups. They appreciate a good sense of humor. Here's to a great year everyone!
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Third Grade Does ROCK!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

I love teaching in general. My students truly make me feel like a Rock Star! Third grade has become my favorite because I love that my students are still really excited about learning and I can really build on that excitement. They also are really beginning to read some great books so we have some amazing literacy groups. AND who doesn't love Rocks and Minerals along with learning about First Nations. Like I said Third Grade really DOES ROCK!
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Calithecat

Third Grade is a Charm!

Clip to ScrapBook #58

It was great reading all the posts about why third grade is so special. I have taught most elementary grades and must say third grade is wonderful. It really is the perfect age between needing extensive assistance for basic things and being too cool for school. I enjoy teaching world communities. In my school, students learn about India, Japan, South Africa, and Brazil. Wishing everyone a great school year!
Calithecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

Third grade

Clip to ScrapBook #59

This is my seventh year teaching third grade. Third graders are fun! They can do short stretches of independent work. They still want to please the teacher. My wall is filled with their artwork and messages by the end of the year. They love to laugh and are old enough to start getting jokes and telling some of their own.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

lemonlove

Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

Here are the things I love about 3rd grade:
[*]Student Independence[*]Students Still love school[*]Curriculum[*]My team!
I have taught for many years(38) in many different grades and 3rd is my favorite!
lemonlove is offline   Reply With Quote

kas1557

3rd grade
Old 09-01-2014, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

This is my 4th year in 3rd grade after 20 plus years in first. I love how the students are much more independent and can be held more responsible. They still love to be read to and still get excited over many lessons. I hope everyone has a great school year!
kas1557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Trishteaches

Third grade is a hoot!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

Welcome back! Another year in third! Yeah!!

I love being that stepping stone to intermediate. I co teach with a pod partner. It is a challenge.

Last edited by Trishteaches; 09-01-2014 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Left out stuff
Trishteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

ragtimecwgrl

don't go telling everyone....
Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

If the word gets out how good we have it, won't everyone be trying to get our jobs? I say "Keep this under your hat!" ;-)
ragtimecwgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

I love third grade
Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

I have been teaching third grade for the past 15 years. Prior to third grade I taught first grade for four years. I love teaching third grades. The kids are a lot of fun and understand my jokes. I also love the third grade curriculum.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

pseverin

3rd Grade is the best!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

This is my 12th year teaching third grade & I love it. The kids are mature enough to be independent without being "too cool" to ask for help when they need it.
pseverin is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Third grade is special
Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

Well, first of all it's special because it's the very first time those poor kiddos are taking the state tests. But the real reason third grade is so special is because the kids are the best. They are independent yet willing to seek/ask for help. They still love their teachers and want to please them. I absolutely love 3rd grade best of all the grades I've taught. Have a great school year!!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

ladybugxoxo

Love those kids!!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

This is my 22nd year... wow, how did I get this old??? I taught 5th for 13 years, took 4 years off with back to back child care leaves, and I am starting my 5th year as a 3rd grade teacher.
1)Love that I can sing songs and act a little silly but still tell jokes that they are old enough to get.
2)Love that I can read a picture book to a captive audience, but have them read a chapter book back to me.
3)Love that they think I'm the "best teacher that they ever had" (their words, not mine) and that they are not too old to draw pictures of ladybugs for me to hang on my desk.
3)Love that unlike my 5th graders (who graduated and went on to Middle School) I get to see them continue to grow for two more years when I see them in the hallways.
4)Love that they can give me hugs one minute and act with a sense of maturity and responsibility the next.
5) Love that they help me love my job. <3
ladybugxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

This will be my first year in third grade. I finished the year last year in third. Having done first grade for most of my career, I like third because they are more independent, yet still sweet and caring. They still need the aid and encouragement of adults, but they can still be into the little things like stickers and small rewards.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

luv3grade

Love third grade!
Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

I love teaching third grade. This is my 19th year teaching, and third is definitely my favorite.
luv3grade is offline   Reply With Quote

sailorsue

Teaching 20 Years - 5th DAY in Third Grade
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

Moved from first grade this year - already loving the independent workers in my room. They are enthusiastic and have lots of opinions - I can already tell Creative Writing and Science are going to be my favorite subjects!
sailorsue is offline   Reply With Quote

backtola

Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

I am so excited to teach third grade again this year. This will be my second year to teach this wonderful grade. This is the perfect grade for me! I enjoy the students are able to be independent, and they absorb the material like a sponge. I enjoy reading to my third graders because they love listening to the stories. Teaching third grade has been a blessing for me and this year is off to a great start!
backtola is offline   Reply With Quote

clavasmommy

Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

I used to teach 5th grade, and I loved that grade too, b/c I always said they came to me as little kids and left as bigger kids. Now that I'm in 3rd grade, I feel like it's similar. I love that they are still so little, but it's a big transition year for them too. They make such impressive strides in their learning. Instead of just learning to read, they are now focusing on their comprehension and are able to infer and get so much more from their reading. They start to really explore math. They are so much more independent. They can get my jokes. They are a perfect age to teach! I love these little guys and girls!
clavasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Victorious

Agree!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

I agree with lots that has been said! I LOVE third grade and am now teaching it again at the fourth school (taught other grades at other schools too). I love that they are ready for so much learning (and we third grade teachers often get the credit, but in reality it is just a readiness level). I wish you all a great year (my class started way back on August 7th)!
Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote

eteach94

Third Grade
Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

I started teaching second grade and was moved to third. It was the best thing that happened to me. I enjoy my job very much. This year I have a small class, and I can't believe what I'm able to accomplish. I check this board two or three times for your great ideas. I don't know how I ever taught without it. Thanks!
eteach94 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Third is the BEST
Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

This is my 43rd class of students. I started out in first, then moved to second for two years, & have spent the rest in third. I love third because it was my favorite grade as a child. Third graders love to learn cursive, x's tables, anything science & are just plain curious, but also independent! They still love their teachers. I've had a great career!
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

livecre8tive

Third Grade Students are Special because...
Old 09-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

Third graders are special because they're sweet, kind, innocent, hard workers. They still like school and their teachers. Third graders appreciate their teachers honesty and smiles, and they also are willing to be honest and give smiles! They have a lot that is expected of them (they're not babies anymore, and academics are becoming more demanding, etc) and they rise to the challenge. All "grades" have their uniqueness and special qualities, pros and cons, but for me, third graders are at the top of the chart!!
livecre8tive is offline   Reply With Quote

ck839800

Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #77

This is my first year in third grade and I think I've found my niche. I absolutely love this age! After having taught high school and 5th grade, this is definitely my grade. I feel like the student respect and admiration they still have for their teacher is what I find so refreshing. I didn't ever get that in the older grades.
ck839800 is offline   Reply With Quote

elixavide

3rd Grade Teacher
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #78

This is my second year teaching 3rd grade after teaching 1st for 15 years. These students have so many more skills in their toolbox that I am enjoying my year with a new sense of gusto. I hope we can accomplish so much. Our next big project is Heroes.
elixavide is offline   Reply With Quote

pnash

Love 3rd grade
Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #79

Hello my fellow 3rd grade teachers,
This is my fourth year teaching 3rd grade. I love teaching 3rd grade because they still are eager to learn. My students love to read and to work. I am so eager to see how much they want to learn throughout this school year. I hope that we all can have a successful year.

PNash
pnash is offline   Reply With Quote

Love2Learn2

Great Age Group
Old 09-02-2014, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #80

This is my sixth year in third after teaching first grade for nine years. I find that there is a lot of challenges about third: Teaching them a harder curriculum, breaking the news to parents that they are struggling for the first time, and the stress of preparing them for their first standardized test.

However, with that being said, I truly enjoy the student's personalities, their ability to give longer and unusual responses, and their genuine concern for others. It is a great age group to work with.
Love2Learn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elmsprings

Third grade rocks!!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #81

This is my 19th year in third grade. Honestly, each year grows more challenging than the last... due to the curriculum, common core standards, and the endless paperwork. With all of that said, I still look forward to every day....simply because of the kiddos!! I love this age, and their excitement keeps me going. They inspire me to look past the data....and to enjoy life--- to sing, to dance, to read out loud, to be silly, to be serious, to give hugs and homemade cards---- to teach!!! I am blessed, I am a third grade teacher!!!
Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

TchMe

Third Grade
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #82

Third grade is an awesome grade to teach. The students are not nearly as needy as first and second graders and enjoy their independence. They are still young enough that you can see significant growth in their reading abilities. They also love their teachers and want to please them still.
TchMe is offline   Reply With Quote

cguru

Third Grade is the BEST!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #83

This is my 18th year in third grade out of 26 years of teaching. I love them. Very little help is needed with body fluids. Hurrah! Independent workers are emerging. They still love school. Santa does not bring hormones, although the Easter Bunny sometimes brings attitude. They are still cute, fun, and yet rise to academic challenges. I really like this grade.
cguru is offline   Reply With Quote

dizzydolphin

After 40 years of teaching....
Old 09-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #84

grades 1 through 5, I can't even remember how many of those years were in third grade! But I have to admit, I love third the most. They have many independent abilities that the little ones don't. They don't have the poor attitudes that the older ones have. They love to learn and seem to soak up knowledge like sponges. They try so hard to please and they are nice to each other. I am still teaching the best grade ever! I plan to retire in 5 years and I know that teaching third grade is one of the reasons that I stay.
dizzydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

hsteph

Love my third graders!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #85

I have taught 21 years and this is my 8th year teaching third grade. I love their sweet outlooks. They are helpful, want to succeed, still like school and adore their teachers. They keep me young and make sure I look forward to every day at school!
hsteph is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

All of the above and...
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #86

they are so pure and innocent. They really are their true selves without trying to be someone else. Very refreshing!
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

kcougar

Third Graders are the Best!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #87

I've taught preschool through 3rd, and 3rd is my favorite....for all the reasons already listed.

One of my sweet third grade girls said today, "School is my favorite thing in the whole world." Then she paused and added, "Well, actually, I love my family first, but school is next."
kcougar is offline   Reply With Quote

angelteacher

Ditto to all the above
Old 09-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #88

AND, they are really starting to develop a sense of humor! They get my mild sarcasm, and it is so cute to see them start making jokes of their own rather than repeating what they have heard. Humor makes the day better for everyone!!
angelteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mariecg

What is special about teaching Third Grade?
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #89

I feel that teaching third grade allows me to have a huge impact on this group of children. Since 80% of what I teach is new material that they haven't mastered, I have the responsibility of setting the foundation for their success at many levels-- on the state assessment and preparing them for 4th and 5th grade. It is a big challenge that keeps me motivated and focused!
mariecg is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Teachers walk on water
Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #90

Third grade is the last year that the little ones think you walk on water - by fourth grade they know better. For the most part, they are still anxious to please and honest, coming up to tell me I've marked something correct on a test that is wrong. I've taught third grade for 16 years and still love it!!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

relax

This year it's a multi 2/3
Old 09-05-2014, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #91

I love teaching third grade. I have 13 years teaching experience - 1 year special ed, 5 years in 3rd, and 7 years in 1st. This year I'm teaching a grade 2/3 combination class. This will quite a challenging year as I have only twelve kids, but all but one of them belong on a behavior plan. Brings back shades of my special ed year.
relax is offline   Reply With Quote

elizabennett

Old 09-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #92

I love that the kids are still young and innocent enough to still believe in Santa but are mature enough to do things on their own. I love the joy they take in learning new things. I love how excited they are when we read a great book together. There is nothing jaded about third graders. They are enthusiastic about everything from Frozen to Legos to Star Wars to The Tale of Despereaux. I love how much they love everything
elizabennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Kim_Loves_KG

Third grade is awesome!
Old 09-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #93

What's special to me about third grade is that it's my first year teaching third graders and I've enjoyed my last two weeks immensely! I taught kindergarten for nine years and was terrified about moving up. My experience so far has been great and I'm looking forward to what the rest of the year has to offer.
Kim_Loves_KG is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

3rd is great
Old 09-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #94

Sweet kids that think of you as their other mom... Kids that want to do thier best and try hard to follow directions... Kids that can tie their own shoes... Kids that learn to love reading... kids that sing songs just for you... kids that want to get and give hugs...
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

peabodyvanoss

3rd grade
Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #95

This is my 35th year of teaching - my 4th in third grade. I came kicking and screaming out of a multiage class (where I was for 20 years...and LOVED - definitely the BEST part of my career first and second combined) BUT, I have to admit that I love third grade; The kids are great - it's awesome to see them blossom and they do!!! So much more independent
peabodyvanoss is offline   Reply With Quote

it'sjustme

Grade 3
Old 09-07-2014, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #96

I love, love, love Third graders. They are old enough tOnhave a little bit of independence, but not too old to have an "attitude"

After 27 years in 3rd grade I chose to switch to Title I reading. Although I am super excited about this new change, I will REALLY miss my 3rd graders
it'sjustme is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Third grade is the best!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #97

I just started my 33rd year. I think 18 have been in third. I took a leave of absence after teaching third for 6 years. Then after being place in middle school sped we moved to AZ. After about 7 years I got back to third. I will stay in third until I retire. I agree with all the reasons above. Love my third graders!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Iteachto3

Third Graders are Terrific
Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #98

I love teaching third graders - they are still eager to learn, have imagination and curiosity. For the most part they still have awe and respect for their teacher. I have taught for 30 years K-8 and have been a 3rd grade teacher currently for 9 years.
What I don't like about 3rd grade is all the mandatory testing. It frustrates the kids who are making gains but are still behind, takes the joy out of teaching, and stresses our still impressionable children. What are they taking away from all this? Mostly a dislike for school and a cavalier attitude towards tests.
Iteachto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 09-23-2014, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #99

This is my 30th year teaching. I've taught preschool, second, third, and been an elementary librarian. This is my 8th year in a row teaching third and I love it. The kids are still young enough that they're fun to teach. Watching them grow has to be the best part of third grade. They change so must during this year.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 09-23-2014, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #100

This is my 14th year teaching 3rd grade. I like when we get to the half way point (after Christmas) and they really seem to mature and hit their stride as a third grader.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote