Help

Third Grade

Book club activities

>

afirst11

Book club activities
Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was able to start a book club and open it to third graders, after school. I have about 30 minutes with them but I want this to be fun!! They are required to do the reading during the week before we meet. First book is Sideways Stories. I want to make sure they are doing the readings but also dont want it to be all worksheets. Id like meaningful conversations and perhaps games. So far all i can find are quizzes and vocab sheets. So far i have 15 signed up and have parents willing to help. Ideas?

afirst11 is offline   Reply With Quote

ltaylor79

Tpt
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds fun! Did you check teacherspayteachers? I think I saw some activities on there for that book.
ltaylor79 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Book Club
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would get some adding machine paper because it is long and narrow. I would give each reader a long piece. Then I would ask them to draw the Wayside school as they visualize it for the story.

As they draw discuss favorite parts of the book and why it is humorous.

You could also have them draw the meanest teacher Mrs. Gorf. Then they could write adjectives around her pic that describe her.

Have fun!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

book club
Old 09-01-2014, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd start off making bookmarks so they have something for the book. There are tons of bookmark ideas.

As more characters are introduced, you could have them do character bottles with a drink bottle and styrofoam heads. You could have scrap material, yarn, google eyes, etc…

You could have them do an art book where they create something about that character after each chapter. For example, the first chapter about the teacher they could make a mosaic with cut-up pieces of tissue paper and make an apple on the page.

I just realized you wanted games. You could do the swat game with vocabulary words, or make a jeopardy game each week with questions from the chapters they read.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Calithecat

Games
Old 09-01-2014, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My students love creating their own board games. First they create a simple board on large oak tag. (Think Candy Land style board.) Then students create questions for each chapter. The questions can be true/false or multiple choice.

Calithecat is offline   Reply With Quote

afirst11

Old 09-02-2014, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh my gosh! I love all of these ideas! Thank you so much teachers! I just don't always think creatively. I think more like what is on TPT (vocab sheets and quizzes) and I"m trying to think a little less like that! Thank you again!

Elmsprings

Share!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please post again and let me know how this goes!! I would love to do something like this at my school!!! Are these kids on late buses... or car riders?!
Elmsprings is offline   Reply With Quote

afirst11

Old 09-05-2014, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Car riders. The agreement is the parents have to pick up! I have 18 for this round and it starts in a few weeks!! Im soooo excited!

afirst11

Update-book club
Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My last day for Sideways Stories is tomorrow! We are making a sideways city out of many buildings. Each kid has drawn one charachter per window.

Next up is Mouse and the Motorcycle. Looking for activities now! It is my fav time of the week.

Suggestions for more books? I dont like my original list and some I have read since my original post and they might be too hard, since many lower readers are joining the club!