Help

BusyBoard

Bathroom Policies

>

ggcoffeex3

Bathroom Policies
Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher and I teach 4th grade. From the beginning of the year until last Thursday my students signed out on a time sheet if they needed to use the bathroom. The rule was supposed to be one girl and one boy at a time unless it was an emergency and someone was already in the bathroom. However, after three incidents in one week of another teacher telling me that my students were playing tag in the hallway, looking at a diary in the bathroom, being so noisy they can't test, etc.(Even with only one boy and one girl out) so I changed my policy. I had also had trouble with a few students leaving the room without signing out so they would leave multiple times a day (4+). Now I've been doing two whole-class bathroom breaks per day (at 10:30 and 1:30 - takes wayyy too long and sometimes run into other classes) and they can go before 9:00am and after 3:00pm. I figure that's four times per day and the same amount of times I can go to the bathroom each day. If they go outside of that time, they have to ask permission and then clip down (for not using their time wisely and going at the breaks). If they leave the classroom without my permission they clip down automatically to orange and fill out a reflection sheet. I've only done this for about a week and I really don't like it. I feel like it punishes too many kids who were already doing their job before and I don't like taking that many whole-class bathroom breaks because it takes too much of our learning time! I hate to change my policy again so soon, but I would much rather they go when they need to and I can trust them. A few of the students who were abusing the policy are the kind who have parents that I can never get in touch with so calling parents won't help. Any suggestions on how to start fresh with the bathroom policy and what works for you? Do you take whole-class bathroom breaks in upper elementary?? Thank you!!

ggcoffeex3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do whole class bathroom breaks. It's the only way I've ever done it. We are in and out in less than 3 minutes. I do one in the morning and one after lunch. Sometimes later in the day, we do a third break. Mostly that one is a movement break for them. They need a break.

Because of our breaks, they really don't ask much to go the rest of the day. but if they ask, I let them. I don't have a sign out policy or a number that can leave at the same time. It's not a battle I want to fight.
Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

4th-6th grade: You can go before school, at recess, at lunch, and before or after PE. I don't do special bathroom breaks. I feel that's plenty of time.

If you have to go at another time, you owe something. Some years it has been the same amount of time you're gone is taken from your recess -- have to read/work on an assignment instead. So if you're gone 3 minutes, you read for 3 minutes at recess. Some years it is classroom cash. Some years I gave out 5 tickets for the semester, and you could use one of your tickets.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tchn4fun

Old 11-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have younger sts and only one bathroom pass. Sts are allowed emergency trips to the bathroom during class time (rarely happens). They can go before/after school, at recess/lunch breaks, or during unstructured times - NEVER during instructional times (don't even ask). If they say it's an emergency, I say fine, but they need to make up the time at recess/lunch. Usually they say,"Oh, I can hold it."
Tchn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Bathroom Policies
Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last year I had huge issues in the bathroom because my class was insane. We have a bathroom in our classroom and it was just crazy! Kids were writing on the walls, peeing on the floor and smearing poop etc. I don't wish that on anyone! It got to the point where either me or my student teacher had to inspect the bathroom before a student went in and when a student came out. This was a third grade room! But here is what I did.

I had pocket chart with each student's name on it. It was actually a hanging jewelry holder that I found at a dollar store. It had 24 little pockets for jewelry that half an index card fit perfectly. I gave each student two cards, AM and PM that also had his or her name on it. I made sure they were different colors. When students needed to use the bathroom they took their card out of the pocket and handed it to me. I always knew who had been to the bathroom that morning. During lunch I replaced the AM cards with the PM cards. Each student only got one morning and one afternoon bathroom break. I figured kids could go during recess, lunch, or specials classes. I still had to inspect the bathroom but it cut down on almost all of the gross things they were doing. It's a shame that the kids aren't able to responsibly use the bathroom.

Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Bathroom is the bane of my existence. I generally let kids sign out but it's been an issue. I've moved to sending groups out and I watch from the hall; once in the am and once in the pm.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 11-28-2014, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have one small stuffed animal for boys and one for girls. They have to put the stuffed animal on their desk when they use the bathroom, as a 'place holder.' If the stuffed animal is on someone's desk, they have to wait until they return. Our boys' and girls' bathrooms are on opposite sides of a long hallway, so when they leave my class they go in opposite directions. It's great for kids not being able to fool around when they leave, but terrible for whole-class bathroom breaks!

I think that beyond that, the biggest suggestion I have is to be aware. At the beginning of the year I really stay alert, and if someone is going 4 times per day I call them out on it. At this point during the year if I feel like they're going too often or staying too long I talk to them first and tell them if it continues they'll be restricted. That usually does the trick ( I teach 3rd). In general, once they know I'm really paying attention they knock it off. I also discuss the fact that I don't take bathroom breaks during the day - I wait for lunch - and they should train themselves to do that too. I sip water from a huge water bottle all day and if I don't have to go that often, they shouldn't either.

I'm curious about other posts here, because our specials teachers don't let kids go to the bathroom at all, since the kids are only in specials for 30 minutes. That would never be a solution in our school.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

bathroom
Old 11-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

GGirl: "bathroom is the bane of my existence" <insert emoticon of one wetting her pants here>

here's what i do (after 24 years of teaching 6th grade)--nothing will ever be perfect--you will occasionally get the kid who drinks lots and needs extra trips to the bathroom; the parent who doesn't like your system.....

i only let ONE kid go at a time.

my kids are encouraged to go before and after school and during recesses (lunch at 11:15 and afternoon at 1:30). i let them know i understand emergencies and that i myself have them--but not once a week.

my students earn classroom cash for turning in signed Monday Folders on Tuesday. they earn it for turning in other things on time/early; for participating in fundraisers, for a job well done..... they have to pay a $ to go to the bathroom (and not during instructions). i want them to recognized that our class time is VALUABLE. if they don't have a $ because they used them all or haven't earned, they put their name and time on board and go; then put time when they return. they owe me that time at recess. again--this class time is VALUABLE.

if it's close to a recess or end of day, i say, "there are only X minutes left, can you wait?" they usually say, "yes", and i reply with, "let me know if you can't"

Last edited by tia; 11-28-2014 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: oh! just read my own post and realized i referred to peeing pants--meant from laughing not in regards to topic--d'oh!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote