Help

BusyBoard

Help! my 6th graders can't multiply!

>

TeachtheVille

Help! my 6th graders can't multiply!
Old 11-19-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 6th grade math. More than other years, I see that my students can not multiply... they don't know their multiplication facts... they don't know how to multiply by 2... they can't multiply multi-digit numbers. And because they can't multiply, division is out of the question.
I practice with them, I quiz them, I drill them, and still....they can't multiply.

I need help, I need suggestions. Teaching world help me!

TeachtheVille is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thoughts...
Old 11-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. Make multiplication fact cards...later, division fact cards. Spend five minutes each day per child working as partners while students practice fact cards.

2. Nightly practice with parents using fact cards...this is homework. Send an email telling parents their child does not know these facts. Encourage parents to practice each night.

3. Daily timed fact tests...five minutes, one hundred facts (or two and a half minutes, fifty facts). You can make these fact tests on line. Teacher (or para/parent volunteer) grades and student records on a chart each day so students can see self-progress.

4. Until facts are learned, students must use attached cheat chart.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Cheat Chart for Multiplication and Division.doc (34.5 KB, 60 views)
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For basic facts, check out xtramath.org. They can practice at home or at school.
Give some kind of motivating reward for achieving the different levels - multiplication, division, and mixed. The program will let you know who is working on it and for how long, plus alert you when a kid reaches a milestone.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Play the old Schoolhouse Rock songs as they're coming in to class in the morning, packing up for the bus, etc.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Math
Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our grade level math teacher would give her students math facts to study every week, like for a spelling test, and then time them as they wrote them down every Friday. She’d group them like the 1s and 2s one week. The 10s and 11s another week. Then she’d spiral. By the time the state assessment rolled around, the kids could complete a fact chart in no time flat.

2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-19-2019, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I taught third grade, I used the book Multiplication in 7 days. I didn’t do it in 7 days, it was more like 14. I then did daily quizzes. If they had mistakes they wrote them 5x each. Most students knew most of the facts. The next month I went to 10x each if they had any wrong on the quizzes. They did not want to write them so they studied. I sent home letters to parents to help their child study if they did not know the facts.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 11-20-2019, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do they understand what multiplication is? You might have to go back to the basics of grouping and set models. Then start trying to have them memorize facts.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 11-20-2019, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I’m a fan of using triangle flash cards for multiplication and division. It really helps to see the fact families. These are an example https://www.bcps.org/parents/pdf/Mul...Flashcards.pdf
You put your finger over one of the numbers and the student has to say the missing number. It can be used for multiplication facts and division facts.

I would also start giving them grid paper and have them make a multiplication table every day for five minutes. Teach them to fill in the easy ones first and then work on the harder ones. Start some of your students with just 0-5 and then build up to the higher numbers.

I love the resources on Greg Trang’s website. https://gregtangmath.com/resources
If you put in your email address you will get access to a bunch of free downloads, including three for multiplication, like in the screenshot below. Teaching with partial sums and partial products will be a good entry point for your students who are still struggling.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Sasha B is online now   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 11-20-2019, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Check out Xtra Math.org. it's free. I set it to 6 seconds for most of the kids instead of the default 3 seconds. The kids were getting too frustrated with 3 seconds. The whizzes can go 3, 2, or 1.5 seconds.

At first the strugglers hated it. But now they really like it. They can earn certificates which they like.
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Georgiateach

Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

How do you set the timer for 6 seconds?

Georgiateach is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 11-20-2019, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I went into settings, clicked "custom program," chose addition or whatever fact type they're on, and chose a drop down menu that had 6 seconds.

Although when I did that today I couldn't get it to work. I might have to contact them.
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 11-22-2019, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

https://community.ksde.org/LinkClick...6036&mid=14879

This is the site that has the different strategies for each type of fact. I used it while tutoring this summer and found it to be very informative and helpful.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/m...-multiply.html

This is the site for practicing multiplication facts. It's not an app, so if can be done on any computer or phone. I like it because they don't have to hit enter after each answer, it automatically goes to the next problem. The student can also select which facts they need to practice.

xtramath.org

This is a great website for practicing facts. You can track student progress and see how much time they actually spend on it.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

hand written times tables
Old 11-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

when we adopted a 13 yr old, he couldn't read or do basic math (thanks California) so he along with my younger son had to hand write me a times table each day before they could access the video games after their chores (it was an additional chore) it worked pretty well. when I subbed long term once for 5th graders, they had to create one every day for class credit, and use it that day. since I didn't have access to the three math subscriptions the district used, (I wasn't an employee, I could see the daily work on them, but could not assign work to google classroom, clever or canvas) I loaded up prodigy with several hundred daily questions that aligned with what the district 5th graders were doing each day, in addition to the daily times table. an hour of prodigy (before they changed it last year) by year's end, it made my kiddos out-score the rest of the team that was using the three subscriptions and prodigy as a reward I do like xtramath too

Last edited by whd507; 11-28-2019 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: im stupid
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

rosieteaches

Quizlet
Old 12-03-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm a fourth grade teacher so my primary strategy would be less effective for your middle-schoolers. I give a weekly 100 fact test and the kids LOVE this. They see how quickly they improve!

About half my class now have perfect scores of 100 correct out of 100 basic facts in 5 minutes or less. For the less able I encourage them to use quizlet to practice. Just Google quizlet 9-table or any other you'd like.

Good luck.
rosieteaches is online now   Reply With Quote