Help

The VENT

Who sent him with the chocolate?

>

sbslab

Who sent him with the chocolate?
Old 03-09-2020, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At the end of the school day, one of our parents included me in an email to homeroom teacher and principal. She was complaining, big time, that her son was sick at school and according to our (long-standing) policy, students who have been throwing up must stay home for 24 hours after it stops. She went on to say, it’s because he ate “so much chocolate” this morning. Now “he’s got to be home...I’m a single mom...this will be difficult, etc.” for a kid who “only ate too much chocolate.”

Hmmm, I saw him eating junk at snack when I was helping in math class. I saw him eating a huge chocolate muffin at lunch as I did lunch duty. Our students bring their own lunches as we have no on-site cooking facilities. Where did all the junk come from, I wonder? Who packed his lunch? Apparently this is our fault.

Ugh.

sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 03-09-2020, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's why our policy is there has to be at least two "vomits". Because sometimes kids eat something and it upsets their stomach and they throw up. But that's not contagious. But if they are vomiting more than once, then it's probably a stomach bug.

And it kind of bugs me when parents get upset that their kid has to stay home. Schools aren't childcare. I get she's a single mom and it's hard, but that's part of being a parent.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-09-2020, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ReeseTeacher, my mom and I were just talking about this because last week we had a whole bunch of kids come to school sick and I was irked. We had one out for 4 days, come back and the teacher looked at him and sent him right to the nurse.

Part of being a parent is knowing your kid is going to get sick and having a plan for that.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 03-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have this problem with one particular mom. Last week her 3 kids were sick, 2 elementary age kids stayed home (tested positive for influenza.) The third, severely autistic high needs student came two days in a row with the same symptoms. Mom won't answer her phone to come get him, she has been this way with him for years. The 3rd day the nurse got ahold of someone and he went home, still had a fever. The special education teacher went to the dr. today and guess what, she now tested positive and will be out all week. She is upset that she has to be off all this week because of this mom. The kicker is mom doesn't even work.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

This reminds me
Old 03-09-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sort of, of a conversation I had today with a parent, except I'm with her kid only 1/2 hour of the day and she wanted me to know exactly what was bothering him. I gave some speculations but I also let her know that only he knows what is actually actually bothering him. I told her this because once he gets on his disrespectful streak he simply will not have a conversation with you.

I do what I can to put it back on them. The parent you're dealing with sounds incredibly frustrating. I don't like it when they try to make us feel sorry for them either.

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

lunch
Old 03-12-2020, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have noticed a strong correlation between the crappy lunches brought from home, and the level of sickness and behaviors after lunch. probably 10% of the brought lunches are twinkles and soda. then lo and behold, jr cant focus... amazing coincidence...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote