Help

The VENT

Finally it Happened

>

FLteachESE

Finally it Happened
Old 04-29-2020, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been waiting for that one comment from a student to send me over the edge. It finally happened this morning. The emailed question was "how is it not creative enough?"

::banging my head against the table::

Quick background- 8th grade student admitted in previous email he was lazy with my class because it didn't count like the core classes. Fine, ok. I still have to reach out to parents of students who are failing. So I called dad and left a message about the student, letting him know that I havent gotten work for the last 2 weeks and about this particular assignment not being creative and not following directions.

So the assignment was a scavenger hunt- take pictures of the items or of yourself as you complete the hunt. Put it on a Power Point slide as a collage with frames and back ground color, be creative with it.

What he turned it- 2 Power Point Slides, one was a title slide and the second was the assignment.... computer downloaded pictures on a white background.

Yeah buddy, what's not creative enough about that?

4 more weeks, 4 more weeks
But seriously, though, I wasn't sent over the edge, lol. But I was waiting for the one question, just waiting for it, lol

FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

Sad
Old 04-29-2020, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 9th grade....and I understand what you're up against. This would drive me crazy if everything were normal with school right now. However, I read this and think how sad it is that his parent that you left a message for didn't ask his son to show him the assignment, or that the student didn't get appropriate guidance from a parent. Either the kid is all on his own or has parents that can't be bothered (maybe for legit reasons) to help out. I hope you took a deep calming breath (or ten) and emailed the kid what to do, step by step, to make his assignment better. Some kids rely on classmates to help with the techy stuff, like how to change backgrounds, insert pics, etc. He might not have anyone to help him now. Of course, he could also be plugged into video games 24/7 and is just lazy....but I say kill him with kindness just in case!
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 04-29-2020, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Biobirdie-
Right now it is par for the course that parents aren't responding to calls or emails much because they are overwhelmed and trying to survive.

This child is extremely capable just not wanting to put forth any effort. Like I said, he admitted to being lazy.

Nah, I told him to go back and read the directions and ask himself "when it said to do this.... did I do that? etc." Then I said computer downloaded images on a white background is not creative.
So he got the reason for the problem.

I think we all know our kids at this point and which ones need the steady hand, the kind hand, the hard hand, the silly hand of how to deal with them.

So it's all good- like I said I didn't really go over the edge- more so it was AHA THERE IT IS!! I KNEW IT WAS COMING!! lol

BioBirdie

Hello FLteacESE!
Old 04-29-2020, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You're right, we know our students. I probably went overboard on the advice to you. It upset me that contacting the parent doesn't give better results, but I'm familiar with that too. I think of my own daughters and how I am often their sounding board when they have projects to do.....even if it is just to show me what a great job they did. If a teacher called about one of their assignments I would be helicoptering that project and insisting on going over the rubric with my daughter before turning it in. Just a few more weeks....
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 04-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

oh yeah I agree with you on if I got a call, too. Definitely would be all over that but I think it is because we are teachers.