My state Congressmans office called me today. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

My state Congressmans office called me today.

>

Bobbies

My state Congressmans office called me today.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good afternoon everybody. Without giving too many details away, my state Congressman's aide gave me a phone call today, as I emailed everybody including the ombudsman who is in any way, shape or form with the Texas workforce commission. I kindly explain to him my situation. I had signed a letter of assurance in May that I would be a substitute teacher at the beginning of this upcoming school year in August.
My first question was about my unemployment and when my school would normally let out which would be sometime in late May, what would I have to do at that time? Would I have to notify anyone? This is my first rodeo, but I am glossing over everything and anything that I can learn right now. His response was he didn't know, and he said that the laws have changed, which I am aware of with regards to the CARES Act, signed into law back in March. Our governor signed a slightly more liberalized law into effect on Friday, because the law that was in effect prevented millions of Texans from receiving any sort of relief. Part of that law have to do with living with a person over the age of 65 OR If their immune system is compromised. Long story short, he didn't have a definitive answer, and I'm not even going to try calling any telephone numbers concerning the Texas workforce commission as even though it has been about 3 months now, they still do not have enough people to answer their phones. This is an absolute tragedy what's going on here, and I am sure that other States are dealing with the same thing. When school is normally lad out, what are you all going to do? Let's say, may 25th is your last day of school. Are you going to notify unemployment on May 25th, before, after, or not notify them at all? Are any of you living with a person over the age of 65, or a person with a "compromised immune system?" Are you going to a re file for unemployment? If you are not in Texas, what would you do?

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 05-04-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I'm not asked if I've received a letter, I'm not saying anything. The letter didn't say I couldn't get unemployment. I've been in trouble in the past because I've been too honest. They might even get irritated that I'm bugging them about it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

You may qualify to receive PUA in the summer
Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since your State Unemployment will end at the end of the month, you may qualify to receive Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA). You have to no longer be eligible for State Unemployment to qualify to apply for PUA, it's funded by the Federal Government not your Employer. So your Employer doesn't have a say in whether or not you can receive it. The benefit amount is similar to what you receive from State Unemployment plus the additional $600 per week. If you're approved then you can receive PUA for up to 39 weeks, and they'd most likely subtract the weeks you've already received in State unemployment.

I already receive Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), because my income from subbing wasn't high enough to qualify for State Unemployment. You wouldn't be able to apply for PUA until you're no longer eligible for State Unemployment. Many substitute teachers may qualify to receive PUA over the summer, if they stop receiving State Unemployment. Especially since summer jobs will hard to find, due to Covid-19. There are different situations that can make you eligible to apply for Federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA). When you're no longer eligible for State Unemployment, if at least one of these situations apply to you, then you should be eligible to apply for PUA for the summer:

-Were you laid off (even temporarily) due to a reason related to COVID-19?

-Are you unable to find work for reasons related to COVID-19?

-Are you in quarantine under the direction of a medical professional?

-Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19 or seeking a diagnosis due to symptoms?

-Are you “self-employed” or a “gig worker” unable to work for COVID-19 related reasons?

-Do you have to stay home to take care of a sick person related to COVID-19?

-Do you have to stay home to care for a child whose school or day care is closed due to COVID-19?

-Are your hours reduced, but you are still employed?

-Were you scheduled to start work but could not due to COVID-19?

-Were you terminated from your employment without just cause or did you leave your employment for good cause related to the work, even if the COVID-19 crisis was not an issue?
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

Really?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Where does one go to apply for this, the same website? Thank You so much for your help!
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

bodhimom
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Exactly! I’m going to ride this out for as long as I can. Letter or not, summer school has been cancelled, therefore I have no work. Things aren’t looking so great for the start of the school year either. One of my neighbors who teaches at the high school has laid out the tentative plan and the need for subs will be nil.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What was the plan- to continue with virtual schooling? I can say one district I know is furloughing some teachers to a four day work week so they can save that salary for the budget next year. Those who are losing work will supposedly be able to get unemployment through a program in the Cares act, but I think the budgets for next year are going to be very tight.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 05-06-2020, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was wondering what the P.E. teachers are doing?

Tapdancesub

Fractured...
Old 05-06-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The plan is a combination of virtual and classroom. Students will not go to school everyday. Seems like a child care nightmare. Who knows at this point.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 05-06-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I really wish I knew one of the teachers at my school that could give me the inside scoop. I'm tempted to email one of them, but I won't. They probably aren't supposed to tell people what discussions are taking place.

What tapdance said sounds logical to me, except the childcare, like she said. I'm in high school, though. I can see something like 1/2 the students in the a.m., 1/2 in p.m., and the other half of the day as virtual. That would cut down the number of students in class in 1/2. That still leaves childcare issues for the young ones, though. That may be bad for high school students, as well, though, with them perceiving more free time and getting into trouble, potentially.

OFF-TOPIC: About my job interview 2 weeks ago, for those interested (if any ): I called HR. She said they are putting out for a "round two," with a change in job title. She said I'm still in round two. It hurts my feelings that they are looking for more applicants. I guess I didn't knock their socks off. I wonder if I'm the only one that applied. I don't think it is a school where teachers are dying to get into - but I've seen many positives because I've worked there. I don't ask many questions because I don't know if they can tell us, anything, and I don't want to make them uncomfortable (or irritated). I did start working, a little, on the class, with all this free-time. One really good thing is that she said that she would call me, either way. That helps because I don't have to keep wondering. I still wish I knew more about what is going on. I don't know anything about the protocol. Just waiting and trying to prepare myself for anything, without catastrophysing (sp?).

Last edited by bodhimom; 05-06-2020 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Typos

northcalsub

over 65
Old 05-07-2020, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

As you can see above I am over 65. I am not sure about next year. Our school district. the onlye I've ever worked in, has released on their website 8 pages of new protocols and procedures for teachers going forward. Here is an example, when school starts back, any teacher with symptoms while teaching must be out for 72 hours. So, as we know you can get to school and suddenly start to feel sick. In that very scenario you are to contact your principal immediately and you are out for the 72 hours. So, to say they won't need subs, I think they will definitely be needed. You can no longer show up with a cough, or stuffy nose, or feel not at your best. It ain't happening. No one can show up sick!

northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Question
Old 05-07-2020, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

According to these documents di teachers and/students have to wear a mask? Thanks.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I was wondering what the P.E. teachers are doing?
In one of my districts, the one in which I live, they are doing "Richard Simmons style" videos - according to my neighbor who has children in the district.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

P.E. teachers
Old 05-08-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That is so cute. Probably embarrassing for the teachers, though . That's black-mail video .

I'm glad some of you are telling us what discussions might be taking place behind the scenes because I have no clue and I don't know any of the teachers well enough to ask them.

All I know is that my "letter of reassurance" (just kidding, Luv2teach), my letter of assurance says school will open August 7. It was weird to me that they gave an exact day. I don't know how they can predict that. I assume that is their "plan," but they didn't state it as such. It is also weird because that is a Friday.

If you guys didn't hear this, Trump said that most schools should open in August. He said that teachers over 60 should be out for awhile. Two of my school's active subs are over 60. There aren't many of us.