Help

The VENT

What to think?

>

riko

What to think?
Old 05-18-2020, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The teaching assignment list came out today. My close friend is one of the teachers moving and she is upset because she had told the P a couple weeks ago that she is feeling burnt out from having to move so often (for her, every 3 years) and creating new curriculum each time. She said she noticed other teachers get to stay for years in their grades and asked if she could too so she could finally feel like she is getting better at something. The P did not respond and she was devastated when she saw the list today.

She talked to the P later today and he said he told her many times before that she doesnít care about the kids. OMG, I was livid for her. She is strict, but the kids like her and she likes them. Her kids learn a lot and she gets good scores on the state test too. Thereís always one parent that has a complaint but if you knew the kid, youíd know why.

He even had the nerve to tell her that she canít say that in these 3 quarters her kidsí parents would say she cared about them. WHAT? She had one hard case that the VP and counselor were supporting her with and they both told my friend it wasnít her, it was the kid. There was another anonymous parent call saying their kid was afraid to ask my friend questions. The P told my friend about it casually but didnít make a big deal of it because it was anonymous. Gee, Iíve had kids say they were afraid to ask questions to me too and thatís really a cultural thing where we teach. So where the P gets this idea that her parents this year wouldnít feel she cared for their kids, I have no idea.

My friend feels the P doesnít care about her because she reached out and asked for support but he didnít help her. She tried to transfer but didnít get anything and the period is over. I donít really know what to tell my friend. I think the P is a hypocrit telling her she doesnít care for the kids when heís treating her horribly. I don't know why he would do this to her. Thoughts?

riko is offline   Reply With Quote

AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 05-19-2020, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She's probably been labeled. I'm guessing as difficult. This is probably why she didn't get a transfer. Do you know if the other teachers like her? It seems like she is being ganged up on. Honestly, if I were her, I'd apply to new districts. This is most likely not going to get better.

Singvogel

Justifying own decisions
Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ps have to assign classrooms. Sad to say, it sounds like your friend has become the scapegoat. It's easier to blame the teacher than to say, "I had to move someone, and you're it."

Education is not exempt from the same kid-style pettiness that still follows through in other businesses. I've seen younger, prettier Ts hired before ones who have proven themselves in long-term sub situations. I have seen relatives of current or former higher-ups hired first, too. I have seen some Ts rule the roost in job assignments.

Your friend might have to stick it out until next year's transfers. In the meantime..."When in Rome." If they want the teacher who "builds relationships," then do it. Carve out daily time for class meetings, but document every change in instructional time with emails to the P. "Taking to heart your suggestion that I make sure my kids feel how much I care about them, I was thinking of... What do you think?" Make sure that there is a paper trail that documents the P's goal of "caring." Add in a cutesy parent newsletter that gushes about kids. There are plenty of free platforms and templates. Find out what current relational buzz-words are happening in her area. Whatever it is, use those words.

It will likely be hard, and it is unjust, but it's the reality. The grace educators are expected to extend to others is rarely extended to them.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

happyteachin

I agree with Singvogel
Old 05-19-2020, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What's done is done but now it's time for your friend to really shine. Use the next year to do all of the things her P is asking her to do-- Become the best at it. Then when transfers open she will have the opportunity to move and P will have an appreciation for her.

I had a similar situation- been at a school for 8 years with great reviews, new principal came in and suddenly I was a 'terrible' teacher. Focused on what the principal was saying I didn't do, kept documentation of all the ways I did those things and noted them on my evals. Fast forward 5 years, life at my school was great, 3 schools asked me to apply for a position they had open and principal finally realized my worth. HA! I left a year later on my own terms but I would have been happy there. And I'm a better teacher than I was before the principal came. He actually had some good points but I couldn't see them at the time.
happyteachin is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

Ride it out until administrator turn over
Old 05-19-2020, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My 6th - 10th years of teaching were the worst because my principal blamed me for classmanagment problems that I went to him for help with....without really helping me. He changed my teaching assignment without telling me. And let the teacher I was swapping with tell me. He put me on a teacher improvement plan and made me read books about differentiated learning. I jumped through all his hoops. My marriage was stressed, I had two little kids at home and wound up on antianxiety meds. Teaching improved greatly after he went to another district! I've had two different principals since, both I am able to go to for help and know I've been heard. Both gave me highly effective reviews and find little to critisize. No longer on meds. Stopped searching for a new job. I'm glad I made it through the rough years...and glad that principal moved on!

BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote