Edustaff said the week ending Jun 12th is the last they'll pay UI benefits - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Edustaff said the week ending Jun 12th is the last they'll pay UI benefits

>

Sub14

Edustaff said the week ending Jun 12th is the last they'll pay UI benefits
Old 06-18-2020, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Me and my daughter both sub for Edustaff, I receive Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) and she receives Unemployment Insurance. I didn't earn enough to qualify for Unemployment Insurance, so that's why I applied for PUA. She sent Edustaff an email recently, asking how long she can keep receiving unemployment benefits. And they replied saying that they will only pay benefits for up to Jun 12th, and will deny any benefits past that date. Seems they would've mentioned that when they sent out the Reasonable Assurance emails, but instead you have to contact them to find out.

I'm pretty sure I can keep receiving PUA since it's funded by the Federal Government, and not from Edustaff's payroll taxes. And the subs who no longer qualify for Unemployment Assistance, should be able to file an additional claim to receive PUA until school starts in the fall.

Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-18-2020, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It could be that it is tied into the reasonable assurance letter and not paying subs unemployment in the summer.

Interesting to note that a district where I sub outsourced subs, bus drivers, cafeteria workers about 10 years ago. On the recruitment pages for the bus drivers and cafeteria workers it mentions as one of the benefits "unemployment in the summer." Seems to me that these employees should get reasonable assurance letters since the companies they work for signed multi-year contracts with the district.

I've applied for unemployment and have an active claim but haven't received a single dime because I make too much at my big box home improvement store job. I tried to file for the pandemic unemployment but the system told me that I didn't qualify for those benefits. It seems like the fact that someone would work two jobs for an average of 70 hours a week is a foreign concept to these people.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Sub14
Old 06-18-2020, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What state are you in? I got the Edustaff "no summer benefits" letter here in Michigan, but the UIA says my claim is approved for 26 weeks (starting this past March 21). Could they be setting the rules on a state to state basis?
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-18-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
What state are you in? I got the Edustaff "no summer benefits" letter here in Michigan, but the UIA says my claim is approved for 26 weeks (starting this past March 21). Could they be setting the rules on a state to state basis?
As I understand it the states set the rules and employers/employees have to abide by those rules.

Quote:
Interesting to note that a district where I sub outsourced subs, bus drivers, cafeteria workers about 10 years ago. On the recruitment pages for the bus drivers and cafeteria workers it mentions as one of the benefits "unemployment in the summer." Seems to me that these employees should get reasonable assurance letters since the companies they work for signed multi-year contracts with the district.
Because the bus drivers and cafeteria workers in a district where I sub don't get "reasonable assurance letters" they are able to file for unemployment. It could be argued that these workers also have a "reasonable assurance" of work when school resumes because their employer signs multi-year contracts with the district.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 06-19-2020, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm in Michigan also and my daughter was approved for 26 weeks too, which is the standard amount of weeks for unemployment insurance in Michigan. But each time you certify Edustaff has to approve or deny whether or not you should receive benefits, they said they won't approve certifications past the week ending Jun 12th.

Sub14

Old 06-19-2020, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Under normal circumstances at the end of a regular school term they always send out Reasonable Assurance Letters, so that we know that we can't receive unemployment in the summer. But we also normally can't get unemployment through them, I've been subbing for 9 years and this is the first time Edustaff has allowed us to file for unemployment.

So since these aren't normal circumstances, then they should've given out more information about how long their employees could receive benefits. Seems they could've included that information when they sent out the Reasonable Assurance Letters. They aren't even currently taking calls, you have to email them to ask a question. A lot of people are going to get caught off guard, when their certifications suddenly start getting denied.

Fractured

Old 06-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They denied me for this week. They are sending me a form. This is total bullsh*t. I waited 7 weeks to get back pay and now I will probably have to wait months to file and be processed under the self employed PUAC. Our govt is such a joke.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 06-19-2020, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Fractured:
Quote:
They denied me for this week
Why did they deny you?..I'm sorry maybe I'm late on the reading.
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-19-2020, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They said they canít determine my eligibility and something about breaks. I imagine I will be denied and have to apply through the PUAC, and that is jammed with like 70k people they havenít processed yet. Iím sure itíll be the end of the summer before I see any more money.

Sweetsunset

Don't loose hope.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Fractured:

Oh nooo, Hopefully in the form they are sending you, you are able to clearly explain you situation. I cannot imagine you not being approved eventually for UI- if you applied before the school year was over (you've been waiting for 7 weeks).

Something in the application isn't adding up to them, interesting they mention "breaks" as a reason.

Can you get access to your application and look it over to see what they are looking at? That would be key.

I didn't know how to fill it out my UI application and was doubting how to answer a couple of the questions, I've never applied for UI before this happened.

(I took screen shots of my application pages for reference-- just thought I'd write this as a suggestion).

I really hope the form you fill out helps clear your case.

I was also thinking..Can anyone in your state assembly office help you out with this? It's worth a try, you would be getting quite a bit of back up money. Don't give up.

Fractured

Old 06-19-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks. They are mailing me a form. I think this is happening to other people if I am reading them correctly. In the end I think I will get the Cares money, but it will probably be a while. I did finally get processed and got what they owed me from April, but I just hit this bump in the road.

Sweetsunset

Old 06-19-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Ok, Good luck to you.
Guest Mass

Guest Mass

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If we donít get regular unemployment benefits/assistance, how can we apply to continue getting the $600 per week Pandemic Unemployment Assistance? I thought these two were tied together, as in can only get the $600 if you qualify and receive regular unemployment benefits. If we cannot get regular unemployment assistance, I need to figure out how to keep getting the $600. I did receive my letter of assurance, but since my school district and my state have not announced how the fall will be handled, the assurance letter seems not that meaningful. It could end up that subs are not needed, Idk.
Mosub

Mosub

continuing with unemployment during summer
Old 06-20-2020, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am in Missouri and am wondering if I should continue my unemployment claim into the summer. If I had some kind of assurance that school would start again in the fall in a semi-normal fashion with substitutes in the mix then I would not think of continuing my unemployment claim. I work through a staffing agency and have never received a letter of reassurance from this agency.

Some days I feel optomistic that school will start and subs will be needed but then I hear things like NFL football probably will be nixed and I feel pessimistic about the start of school/ need for subs. I wish the agency would say something--anything at all-- about this situation.

I feel so left in the dark and unappreciated. I am actively looking for other unemployment.

Sub14

Old 06-20-2020, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The additional $600 per week is called Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC). Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) is a seperate Unemployment Program, for those who are ineligible, or have been denied regular Unemployment Insurance benefits. It also includes those who've used up all of their Unemployment Insurance benefit weeks.

PUA is similar to Unemployment Insurance, but instead of being funded by Employer's payroll taxes it's funded by the Federal Government. It gives you 39 weeks of benefits, has a minimum benefit amount of around $160 per week plus the additional $600 FPUC payment. If you're approved they'll more than likely subtract the amount of weeks that you received regular unemployment insurance, from your total allotted weeks.

Once your regular Unemployment Insurance Claim is closed/inactive, you should be able to file an additional (PUA) Claim. If you apply for PUA while your Unemployment Insurance claim is still active, it will be denied. You can't have both claims active at the same time. The additional $600 FPUC payment ends around th Jul 25th for both Unemployment Insurance and Pandemic Unemployment Insurance.
Guest Mass

Guest Mass

Pua
Old 06-21-2020, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Sub14, How do I make the switch from regular Unemployment plus the federal $600 to just the federal $600? I assume I donít recertify for Unemployment, but where and how to do I file for the PUA? Is that a completely separate website? Or is there a way to switch on my state unemployment website? Thank you very much for all your help.

Sub14

Old 06-22-2020, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You would need to fill out a PUA application to file an additional claim. PUA includes a minimum benefit amount of around $160 but can be higher depending on your income, plus the $600 FPUC payment. So the minimum benefit amount is around $760. You should be able to apply for it through your State Unemployment account, the same way you applied for Unemployment Insurance. You'd just file an additional claim.

Far as you recertifying your unemployment insurance claim not sure how your State does it, but in Michigan if we waive or are denied benefits for 2 consecutive weeks then they close our claim. So if you haven't been denied benefits at least 2 weeks in a row, then your claim may remain active until the next you certify. You may have to contact the unemployment office by phone, fax, or letter, to ask that your claim be closed. And ask where you can find the PUA application. In Michigan they add the PUA application to the Message Alerts in our Unemployment Account.