Substitute Teachers

So why canít subs collect unemployment?

>

Ohiosubbie

Ohiosubbie

So why canít subs collect unemployment?
Old 07-07-2020, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Once long ago teachers would collect unemployment during summer months, someone saw this and decided that wasnít right. Sure they only were paid for nine months, but really werenít Ďunemployedí.

Now they are paid year round (for nine months) so they collect checks. Yet subs still canít file.

So why? If I worked construction or any other job subject to yearly down turns I could collect. A roofer doesnít work during the winter, he collects unemployment.

Wait is that the answer? Is it because the profession of teaching attracts mostly women? After all women arenít affected by economic downturns. Men have families to support.

Iím being sarcastic, maybe itís a simply because itís a government job.

Sublime

Old 07-08-2020, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When we become substitute teachers we know there are no benefits (we get some sick time now, in CA), no holiday pay, and most of the time no summer work. We take the job knowing this and therefore accept the inability to get UI in summer. I accepted that and am very grateful I have gotten UI benefits through mid-July at least. Many on this board work elsewhere during the summer because that is what being a sub teacher entails.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Ohiosubbie

Ohiosubbie

But why?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Doesnít answer the question. What other job is there that doesnít allow someone to collect unemployment?

I know construction workers personally that collect during winter due to work slow downs. They also take the job knowing that they wonít work outside in freezing weather and they collect unemployment during those months.

The one I know enjoys the time off and the check that comes in. He also takes for cash jobs during this time.

Why does he get to collect, knowing he will be off for three months?

TheMercenary

reply to Ohiosubbie
Old 07-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You're making an apples to oranges comparison. The full time teachers contract for a full year, and so their "nine month" pay is spread out over twelve months. We subs acknowledge no guarantee of work at any time, but especially over school breaks. It has never occurred to me that I'd ever be eligible for summer unemployment.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

She makes a good point though.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Back years ago, before I was a sub or a teacher, I worked in a popular tourist destination in the midwest. When I started, the tourist season was late May through early November. We would file and received Unemployment, but had to attempt a job search at least 2X weekly to get it. (Which was a JOKE--as the entire city and surrounding area closed.)

By the time I left 7 years later, the season was early to mid-April through later November. By that time, if we had a letter from our employer that we could expect to return when season reopened, (like the school's letter of reasonable assurance,) we could draw unemployment withOUT a job search at all. The money just came automatically until it was gone or we were re-employed...

It is the same thing to my way of thinking. We still had to meet the requirements for pay/quarters/minimums, etc. but otherwise the same as subbing.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 07-08-2020, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think the attitude of some of you is pretty weird. You think someone is entitled if they want to collect unemployment right now. There are barely any jobs right now and we are in a pandemic. And it seems like some of you are still getting UI money since June as well. Should I just go to amazon where I will probably get sick? I donít know what you guys expect. The jobs I do over the summer like tutoring are either not around or not feasible right now.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 07-08-2020, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Subs do collect unemployment. I do, since late March. Don't understand what this thread is all about.

I've never applied for unemployment before (in 20 summers) but did this year because my year ended March 19th due to the virus. Glad I did. The money I'm getting will last me through the winter if necessary. It's almost as much as I would earn in 4-5 months of subbing. No complaints from me.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I think
Old 07-08-2020, 10:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

the key is that we were suddenly laid off and despite the standard letters of assurance, in reality there is no assurance. I know of a couple CA districts that just voted to go 100% online at least for fall.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think OP is referring to how it normally is, NOT current/pandemic time.

I only recently starting subbing a few years ago after teaching full-time, and I just tell myself I COULD sub over the summer too because of summer school (but I choose not to, so can't complain about not getting paid, when I actually could continue subbing summer school or just find a summer job)
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 07-09-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
CC96's Message:
the key is that we were suddenly laid off and despite the standard letters of assurance, in reality there is no assurance. I know of a couple CA districts that just voted to go 100% online at least for fall.
Care to share where these districts are located? Thanks.

jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Sorry
Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do not feel comfortable making the announcement for them. My info comes from people I know in those districts who are relying info from recent board meetings. I will say they are not my districts and they are in So. Cal. I suspect many districts will do the same. There is a huge contingent of parents who donít want to send their kids back to school under the current circumstances.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ohiosubbie

Ohiosubbie

Old 07-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If other seasonal employees can claim benefit(s) why canít teachers/substitutes?

I have searched and bus drivers and cafeteria workers can also claim unemployment benefits. They also work for school districts and only work limited months, yet can collect. So apples to apples.

Yes, Iím curious as to why subs are excluded.

Right now no substitute should be denied benefits over the summer due to this pandemic. Yes we know that we donít get paid over summer and most will get a summer job also. Those are gone too.

SubMan

Old 07-10-2020, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One of the districts where I sub has outsourced three different jobs; Substitute teachers, food service workers, and bus drivers. There are three recruitment web pages on the district web site, one for each of these three jobs. On the food service and bus driver pages summer unemployment is mentioned as a benefit for these two jobs.

It could be argued that workers in these two positions shouldn't get unemployment either since they know that their jobs are only for part of the year just like substitute teaching.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote