The Return: Doesn't Anyone in Power Understand Data? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

The Return: Doesn't Anyone in Power Understand Data?

>

Speced9

The Return: Doesn't Anyone in Power Understand Data?
Old 07-15-2020, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First and foremost, I want to wish all of my fellow educators a 20-21 school year as safe and frustration-free as possible. Some of us have it better than others at this point, so it's important to speak up for all educators in the U.S..

I'm blown away by the opinions being expressed by politicians, psychologists, parents and the general public.

"THOSE KIDS NEED TO BE BACK IN SCHOOL!"

That's all I keep hearing. Yes, I understand that. I'm an educator. I'm very well aware that the best case scenario involves teaching students in person, but at this time it's not safe. IT'S NOT SAFE. Period.

Here's what gets my goat about those wanting us to return to brick and mortar:

1. Many states/areas have higher numbers NOW than when we closed down in March.

2. The CDC recommends 6' social distancing and masks. If your district is going for the distancing, do they really think there is enough room to distance a class in a classroom? In my school, our average classroom size is 30' x 27' 6".
Desks are 2' x 18". Do you know how many desks you can separate 6' apart in a room that size? Nine. NINE. I've tried it. So that's out.

3. Okay, let's go with the mask wearing. It's the thing to do anyway because let's be real, we're going to be in close. Oh wait.... some staff and parents are refusing to wear a mask. I know there are some legit medical reasons for not being able to, but most say that because "it infringes on my rights". Well so does wearing pants if you think about it. Fine, so the districts say they are recommended, not mandatory.

4. Wait.... Now Parent B is saying that if Parent A's kid isn't wearing a mask, they aren't sending their kid to school! (and I don't blame them).

5. Even if we all wear masks, what type and how good will they be? We know they're not going to be N95s. So we're looking at medical/surgical masks that are not 100% affective because they don't form fit over the cheeks etc. So there's that risk. Better yet, what quality of masks will our districts provide for us? I hope it 's better than that crappy tape they provide.

6. Let's face it. Children are like bar patrons (and we know how well the bar openings have worked). They are silly people without any personal space awareness. They also have a tendency to play with things...like masks.

7. When I think about being in my school at this time, I think about all the time we will be spending NOT TEACHING. We'll be checking temps as the kids come in. Monitoring distancing and mask wearing (also checking that list of students whose parents forbid it).

8. Oh! Don't forget the bevy of lawsuits that will come from:
a. People who want kids back in school without any PPE or procedures.
b. People who won't send their children unless all children are wearing masks.
c. People who want it to be a choice to wear masks.
d. People who don't want their child's temp taken daily.
e. People who want teachers to provide online learning for their children they are keeping home.
f. People who want the district to provide protective bubbles like John Travolta in that ABC Movie of the Week.

9. Finally, I want one, JUST ONE politician, school board member, reporter, parent and person from the general public to spend an entire day in a classroom with me. They don't need to do anything but watch... and BREATHE.

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 07-15-2020, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

THANK YOU!
You have put what so many of us have been thinking into words. It is absolutely ridiculous that we are even considering returning to in school instruction at this point in time. Our government openly states in their back to school guidelines that schools are a congregate setting and that Covid spreads quickly in congregate settings. They acknowledge it yet are sending us all right into it. So sad and frustrating to know how little the lives of school staff, students, and families in our state are valued.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I think we all know that the traitor-in-chief
Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is not thinking of the safety of children, teens, young adults, parents, or teachers. He is only trying to force us all into some type of amnesia-induced fugue state, so we will all buy his giant lie that everything is fine and the plague was just a hoax manufactured by Democrats to foil his chances of being reelected. Now he is actively involved in manipulating hospital data and discrediting the CDC, WHO, and any other sane organization that is trying to give us good data.

Face it: We are all merely pawns in his campaign of delusional self-aggrandizement. He could care less if half of the U.S. citizens die in his endless fight to keep himself president, so that he does not have to face the criminal charges that await him and his ugly, selfish, gross family and friends once we boot him out in November.

Oh, wait. Am I being too political? So sorry.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

MJH

Not The Same
Old 07-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

These people don't seem to understand that even reopening schools it won't be the same for the kids. They are not going to be able to socialize like they used to at school.

The younger kids are not going to be able to play outside with each other because the risk is too high. Middle and High schoolers are not going to be able to stand and talk to their friends in the hallway between classes because most districts are limiting their movement; teachers are moving not the students. The cafeteria is either going to be spaced so far apart and shorten that there will be no time to talk or done in classrooms where again they will be spaced with no talking allowed.

Have they considered the effects of student's mental health at school during this long transitional period?
MJH is online now   Reply With Quote

4leaves

Not too political
Old 07-15-2020, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Spot on. Each time it has been unbelievable that he has said more, done more, acted worse than before and it seems impossible that it continues and he continues to be in power. Disgusted with a disgusting human.

4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

FLSun

Thank you
Old 07-15-2020, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It’s nice to co-miserate with like-minded reasonable people!
FLSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Students and teachers and schools
Old 07-15-2020, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, kids need to go to school. And we all need to be safe and have the right to be safe.

I keep going back and forth on this and I dont know how to square this circle. And all of you are right in your concerns.

We know kids are suffering socially and emotionally and academically. Some suffer from abuse. They need to go back to school. We need to teach. We need to be safe and need to keep our families safe. Some teachers have kids in other school districts. What happens when one opens up and the other doesnt?

My district is starting online only and it wouldnt surprise me if we stay that way for a long time. Id compromise and go in if we had half class sizes and everyone wears masks. Id still worry, but Id go in.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Students be damn.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't believe we are expected to go back to school to teach. We are expected to go back to school to babysit. We need a better economy and the only way that happens if children are in school. Lets be honest, thats all the politicians and their kool-aid drinking followers want. Who cares that businesses aren't opening, so there is no work for parents to return to. I feel a lot of parents don't want their children home with them.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
IsItWorthIt?

IsItWorthIt?

Old 07-22-2020, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for posting this! You have very logical points and concerns. I don't understand the lack of endorsing sound safety and protective measures from some of these professionals who are saying send the kids back to school regardless if it's safe.

My district is going back to brick and mortar and NOT REQUIRING students to wear masks. Medical experts and science say children can be carriers and spread it, and mask wearing greatly reduces the spread. It's not rocket science. Masks are recommended and save lives.

I recently read a news report about the American Pediatrics recommendation for schools. They say kids need to go back to school. I understand we all want that, but they don't seem to care that schools are often unable to implement the guidelines for safe reopening. To them, it's better to have deaths from Covid than to disrupt a student's education and socialization.

Would they go into work without their medical grade gear and spend significant time in small rooms with Covid-19 patients? I don't think so, but that's the fate they are endorsing for school workers. But, it's been a big concern for medical professionals that they may run out of their PPE. But, it's okay for teachers, who will be in close contact for long periods of time with people with Covid-19, to not have the same safety gear they expect and require? Why are these pediatricians wasting PPE if we don't need to worry about children getting sick or spreading it?

Don't they realize that teachers are also caregivers. We come in contact with sick students and are expected to assess their health status in order to make decisions about sending them to the nurse or home. The nature of our job makes socially distancing near impossible. We deal with bodily fluids in our work like they do. But, they wear medical grade PPE when dealing with bodily fluids, but it's okay for teachers to be exposed in the same capacity with nothing more than a piece of cloth?

The American Pediatrics stated, since it's not feasible for schools to space students 6 ft. apart, it's okay for them to be spaced 3 ft.. They also stated, "Teachers should maintain 6 feet from students when possible and if not disruptive to educational process." So, they are saying it's better to put a teacher in a position that could kill them and/or their family members, than have a student disrupted? It makes no sense! Don't get me wrong, I care very much for my students, but expecting teachers to risk their lives and those of their families without the appropriate protective equipment and safety policies is not right. They want the appropriate PPE when they work. Why are teachers any different? There needs to be policies and resources to ensure everyone's safety before students go back to school. Better safe than sorry.