Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Am I the Odd One?

>

ICrazyTeach

Am I the Odd One?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:23 AM

I'm sitting at the grocery to pick up an order. side vent: All the extra people using this service now are a pain the rear. And Kroger needs to limit available spots or hire more people to handle it
Anyway, I parked, notified I'm here, and shut off my engine. Yes, it's hot. But when the windows are down there is a perfectly nice breeze. Except no one else has their engine off. So I am getting added heat and noise from their engines running while we all sit here for a half hour. Do people really sit around with their cars running like this? Maybe I watch and read too much about the environment?

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-27-2020, 10:47 AM

I donít turn my car off when waiting for curbside pickup.
Itís in the 100s here most days, plus the humidity component makes it completely unbearable.
I would be covered in sweat within 10 minutes.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

I try not to
Old 07-27-2020, 11:00 AM

When itís this hot, I try not to get anywhere where I will have to wait for 30 minutes. I had to wait 30 minutes at the dentist back in May and I shut my car off and just waited with the windows open (and it wasnít even as hot as it is now). When I went in, my temperature was a full degree higher than normal. It was enough to make me nervous so I donít do it in that situation anymore, but Iím also not 30 minutes early anymore.

Otherwise, I have a ton of anxiety about my car not starting so I donít turn it off when Iím out unless I have to. So I will just let the car idle for 10 minutes while waiting to pick up DS from his therapeutic school...but since I taught science, I feel guilty the whole time.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-27-2020, 11:30 AM

I do turn my car off as I wait for my groceries, especially when I see them coming out the door towards my car. Since they put the groceries in my trunk, I do not want them to breathe in all the fumes.
But I have to say I never wait more than five minutes. The timing at Marianoís, which is our Kroger store, is pretty accurate.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 07-27-2020, 11:42 AM

I have a medical condition that is affected with extreme heat, so I can not turn off the car in high temperatures. i care for the environment in other ways.

JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-27-2020, 11:50 AM

If I have dogs in the car, which I rarely do, I don't turn it off. If I don't have dogs in the car, I turn it off. But, I don't do curbside grocery.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-27-2020, 12:30 PM

I would have engine off and DOOR open! (until I got too hot and then might close it all up and turn on AC for a bit--it's mid/high 90's here)--but I generally don't have the AC on but drive with my window open.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 07-27-2020, 01:05 PM

No, I shut my engine off if I possibly can. It's not just heat and noise, it's exhaust as well, at a time when we all should be thinking about respiratory health.

And yes, as a life-long environmentalist I admit I've always been a little judgmental about people who leave their gas-guzzling SUV's or pickups running for long periods of time for no good reason.

But, I've never had to wait more than five minutes for grocery pickup. If I did, and if I lived in a hotter climate, I guess I would just always opt for an early morning pick-up time. Less heat and, probably, fewer people.

I did have to wait in the car at the vet's office, but there was a big shade tree so it wasn't too bad with the windows down. I was annoyed when someone pulled up right next to me, in a nearly empty lot, kept her car running and then her passenger rolled down her window and smoked a cigarette while coughing non-stop. I moved my car to the other side of the lot.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

The heat index
Old 07-27-2020, 01:19 PM

here was over 100 degrees, so I did sit in the car with the A/C running, which is not normal for me. These temperatures plus humidity are rough and as I am getting older I am able to handle the high heat less and less. I do have a small energy efficient car.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-27-2020, 03:18 PM

In situations like that I usually try to turn off my car. Depending on how hot it is outside though, sometimes I can't stand it and I have to turn it back on for the AC. If it's a parking spot and not a line I would also just shut off the car and stand next to it outside if it's too hot to stay inside.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 07-27-2020, 06:09 PM

I am in my thirties but prone to hyperthermia. Looking at me, you wouldn't guess that because I look young and healthy. I also usually have my babies in the car with me and I am not going to overheat them. You really don't know the stories of the people around you. As much as I try to keep my windows down instead of running the car, in this heat, it is a matter of safety.
happygirl444 is online now   Reply With Quote