Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Free seeds from China?

>

kerrysgirl

Free seeds from China?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:46 AM

NOT wanting to start a political issue here...but I'm wondering if y'all have seen the stories about the free seeds showing up?

Mostly posting as a conversation starter, but I'm wondering why people would potentially plant something they hadn't ordered? Any thoughts?

I find the whole situation kinda crazy and I wouldn't plant anything I hadn't ordered--no telling what it could potentially do to my beds or the plants I have established, but I'm pretty careful with what I plant.

Also, I found this article with info. If you DO get seeds, there is contact info at the bottom of the article to report them.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...aphis.usda.gov.

Crazy!

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 07-30-2020, 08:59 AM

saw that--and my first thought was: oh, sellers on amazon are sending those instead of the jewelry that was supposed to be sold--about the same weight?

and then I saw an article that stated something along those lines--it was some sort of scam (to get positive review?--I didn't finish the article)--was just glad to see it wasn't as malicious as "let's send these noxious seeds to another country!"
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 07-30-2020, 09:06 AM

We've had at least 30 people in my neighborhood get packages with seeds and/or random jewelry items they didn't order. When I first heard the story, I thought it was made up. Then people in my neighborhood started posting pictures of stuff they had received. I will say that one of the common threads seems to be that most of these people have ordered from Wish. I'm not saying that's who sent it - that just seems to be the commonality when someone mentioned that their name was misspelled just like when they get items from Wish.
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

How to dispose of seeds?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:13 AM

I've heard about this on the local news reports and know we need to contact authorities if we receive them. What I have yet to learn is how to properly dispose of them. Does anyone know?
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Risa--
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 AM

From what I read and watched, almost everyone has said to call or email the USDA to report them. They also say to keep the original packaging so they can try to track the origin.

Try this link if you need to:
https://offices.sc.egov.usda.gov/locator/app

You can click on your own state from there and get contact info. I didn't try all the states, but TX is working.

Apparently, once you call, you can get info for disposal since you aren't supposed to toss them in the trash.

Hope this helps.

And, for the record, I really hope that this whole ordeal is an effort to get good reviews or something and not something insidious, which seems to be the route youtube & social media is taking.

Last edited by kerrysgirl; 07-30-2020 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: added something
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-30-2020, 10:25 AM

My DH's cousin received seeds and jewelry earlier this summer. She didn't order either one. She contacted the post office and was directed to the agriculture office in our state. Such a crazy thing. I really hope no one gets hurt from all of this.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I got some
Old 07-30-2020, 12:48 PM

but it was earlier this summer when I was planting my garden. I knew I hadn't ordered them, and I didn't know what they were since it was written in Chinese. I threw them in the trash, but I didn't know any of this stuff that was in the news until last week. I hope they don't grow into something horrible in the landfill.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Mysterious seed packet in mail
Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 AM

My mom just called asking if I knew anything about these seeds. The link shared by kerrysgirl above is from Florida. Since we're in SoCal, I found contact info in this news report about where to call to report these seed packets.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...china/2403811/
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 08-01-2020, 06:43 PM

Yes, I heard about this early last week I think. I haven't gotten any and will toss out if I see it.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote