Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Reading and Quarantine

>

Teacherbee_4

Reading and Quarantine
Old 08-02-2020, 10:37 AM

Just a few comments/observations about reading and quarantine.

Do you feel like you are doing a lot more reading now than you did in the past? I was always a reader, but I definitely think I have a read A LOT more, and I think quarantine has something to do with it.

With schools closed since March, I also feel like I did a lot more reading. Again, I love reading, but when school is session, I find I read substantially less. When I get home, I'm just too tired to read and just want to chill/veg and do something completely mindless! With not being in school all day, I felt I had more time and was able to still have plenty of time in the day to do mindless things. I've been so happy with my reading habits these last few months, I really hope I can continue that when school starts, but I don't know if I can. Are your reading habits during the school year/when school is in person different than your habits in summer/when school is not in person? Any advice to keep this reading up with in person instruction?

Lastly, lately, I've seen a ton of posts on here about book recommendations, free books, etc. I also feel like the "What's everyone been reading" thread is a lot longer than normal-more replies and longer posts. Do you feel there are more reading/books posts on that thread and on this board in general than normal? Do you think quarantine has something to do with it?

Just some random thoughts/observations!

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-02-2020, 10:44 AM

I actually have read less than usual. I'm a big reader, but I'm behind where I was last year (I track my reading on Goodreads). I just trouble concentrating on books for awhile. I'm just recently getting back into my normal reading groove.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-02-2020, 11:07 AM

I have always been a reader but I am definitely reading more now. We were always so busy pre-pandemic with activities and trips that I needed to find time to read. Now I try to sit outside and enjoy the weather each day and I find that itís a great time to read.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Reading
Old 08-02-2020, 11:19 AM

I love reading and I'm reading more slowly now. Before the pandemic I binge read books when I had time and then might not find time to read again for a few weeks. Now I can read more slowly and not blow through books. I'm reading more overall now.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 08-02-2020, 11:23 AM

I'm about the same. I read a lot, then get in a slump of not finding new books or trying ones that aren't a good fit, then taking a break, then I read a bunch over a short period of time, haha.
I think I often put pressure on myself that I should be reading, which activates my noncompliant side and then I don't read. I don't know why I am so complicated about something I love!

love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-02-2020, 11:43 AM

I'm reading about the same. I've always been an avid reader and I don't think I'm going through books any faster than I was before.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-02-2020, 12:21 PM

nope--I tend to get very little reading done during the school year, but I read 15-20 books during the summer.

I didn't even get one book read during the initial part of quarantine when I wasn't "teaching"--we just took one week off and then had spring break week. I think I only read one book during April and May (soooo busy making games and Morning Meeting activities for my class!)

I had made it a school year goal to read 10 books this year....trying to think back to when I stripped my reading bulletin board to pack up....I'm pretty sure I'd read at least 5 books...maybe I only read 7 or so during the school year.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Mostly the same. I mainly read on the weekends, though, and that hasn't changed.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Yes
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM

I am retired, but when I was teaching, my reading for pleasure fell off dramatically. I did not have the time or the energy. Some of the books I bought were in my bag for a year!

Since Covid, I have read a lot more than I did even when retired. My activities have been limited, so reading is one thing I can do. The library just re-opened, so I have been adding to what I have here at home. I gravitate towards lighter, ďbeachĒ reads, but do have some political books and mysteries by some of my favorite writers.

I also have been listening to some of the authorsí virtual book tours, and I am in four online book clubs where I have been getting recommendations.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 08-02-2020, 02:29 PM

I am reading about the same as every other summer. I love to read and in the summer I will read all night.

sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-02-2020, 03:07 PM

I'm reading way more than usual. I like reading, but especially during the school year I just don't make time to do it. Like you, when I get home from work I'm more likely to choose something mindless like TV. Typically all I manage is my monthly book club book, and then I read more when I'm visiting my parents because they read tons- I just slip back into the habit. Lots of time growing up was spent with us all sitting around the living room reading .

Since March I've read my book club book plus 2-3 others every month. I think that will drop way off when school starts and I'm much busier. As of right now supposedly we'll be going in person, and that's going to be a nightmare, so I definitely will want to just chill when I get home! Even if we do end up doing remote, I'll be so much busier because they want it to be mostly synchronous.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 08-02-2020, 03:17 PM

Iíve been reading a lot more than normal too. During the school year it takes me a long time to finish a book. I have a hard time turning my school brain off and focusing. Since weíve been home so much, Iíve enjoyed having the time to read! Iím not a big tv or movie watcher, but I really love a good book.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 PM

I joined a book club.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-02-2020, 07:10 PM

I've always been an avid reader, and I have read a ton during most of this quarantine period. However, with all of the stress and unknowns with school starting, the closer we get the less I seem to be able to focus on books. I've been doing more rereading of old favorites than reading new material.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 PM

More reading, but way more audiobooks, as well.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

More
Old 08-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Iím listening to an audiobook per week, and Iíve read 3 or 4 books since March. Typically I listen to an audiobook per month. Since Iím outside walking every day, audiobooks work great for me.

I read a lot more in the fall and winter, my children and I love to read by the fireplace and listen to music.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote