Help

The VENT

Just got my schedule from my P

>

I_hate_snakes

Just got my schedule from my P
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

And I'm panicking. District guidelines were 5 hours of live instruction a day, but most of us assumed that we would do two short live lessons on our subjects then spend the bulk of the 5 hours doing small groups. I teach kinder, for the record.

Our schedule consists of a live reading lesson from 9:00 - 9:50. live reading small groups from 10:00 - 11:00. Then a live math lesson from 11:15 - 12:10. Then live math small groups from 12:20 - 1:20.

This doesn't include the prerecorded morning meeting and social studies/science lesson. I'm mostly panicking at the long live lessons. I don't know about you guys, but when I teach I'm not lecturing for an hour. I'm teaching 5-10 minute lessons then we're doing centers and small groups. I genuinely am not sure how I'm going to fill in an hour time slot for just one subject. I am going to be so awkward, I just know it.

Is anyone else being given schedules by admin?

I_hate_snakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

In Person Schedules
Old 08-03-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are in person, and we will definitely get in person schedules with specials at some point.

When we did we online, we mostly didn't live instruction. It was all pre-recorded to help accommodate families schedule.

We did do a live Google Meet that was scheduled....3 days a week for 30 minutes max., but it was more for keeping in touch/community building than actual instruction.

Good luck with yours. I can't imagine multiple hour long whole class lessons at the kindergarten level. To me that doesn't even seem developmentally appropriate!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Clearly whoever made this lesson schedule never taught kinder.

I would make part of each lesson something with movement. Hop on your right foot if...... Let's do jumps while we count to 10. There is no way I'd expect kinders to sit that long in class, so why would I do it virtually.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-03-2020, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had hour long life lessons in the spring. See how you can break it up, with movement activities, short educational video clips (there are some great ones on you tube), use power point slides, give kids a couple of minutes to draw a picture and label it to respond to your prompt, then hold up (use gallery view) so it can be shared with all. Etc. Not super easy, but doable.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-03-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No specific schedule yet, but we've been told that during remote learning it will be much more synchronous. We're starting in person, but they're planning ahead knowing there will be days/weeks where we will be closed due to outbreaks or health guidelines anyway.

I'm a sped teacher and I've been told on those days I will just "run my schedule" on zoom. I honestly predict participation will be near 0. I can see why the district wants to consider this model, because it does work better for kids who can actually participate. We're 1:1 devices and they've provided hotspots so I think they've "solved all of the problems." I think they're being horribly naive. I'm in a low SES community. Our families are not in a place where there is a stable, stay at home parent or nanny/babysitter who can be on top of managing the kids' online learning schedule and making sure they're logged in and ready to learn at the appropriate time for each zoom lesson.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-03-2020, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was just working this morning with our scheduling committee. We scheduled in times for ELA and Math but not for science and social studies. Specials will be a 40 minute lesson when we are hybrid, but remote will be 30 minutes. Teachers have an hour block for ELA and Math. If I were a classroom teacher, I would plan on each student for an hour but maybe not all together. Maybe my ELA would be a 20 minute block and I would meet in small groups or smaller groups for the other 40 minutes. Same with math. Then there would also be some classwork just like in the classroom. Same with Math, but my lesson might be longer with some sort of interactive components like Kahoots or Quizlet.... then some small group to finish the time.

For me, my plan will be a whole group lesson and then additional time for them to work. They may or may not be on with me the whole time, but will have a product to complete.

I can imagine that we will spend HOURS this week having discussions around this topic both in whole staff meetings, grade level meetings, and again in a "clarifying" whole group staff meeting. I think an entire day could be centered around these schedules and what they mean for staff and students.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-03-2020, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is beyond developmentally inappropriate for kindergarten and for a good chunk of elementary school. As a PP said we don't lecture for an hour. You do mini lessons and then they do work while you help kids individually or in small groups or they do centers.

And when are you all supposed to eat lunch???
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-03-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My kinder team fought for all small group times instead of large group. And we won. It's completely inappropriate for kinder!

If you do end up having to do it, my colleague had a great suggestion that came out of her kid's camp schedules. They would do a 10-15 min activity, and then have a 10 min break, then come back for the next activity, etc. So they were technically on zoom for an hour, but it was broken up into manageable chunks.

The whole lunch question is another conundrum. What were they thinking?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That's ridiculous. I'm not even planning that for my 5th graders.

We're being given start and end times for the day, the expectation of everyone getting live instruction throughout the day, and "immovable" times for things like breaks and specials classes, but within that, we have freedom to do whole group or small group.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Ermonda

Ermonda

Same
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach first and I just got a 5.5 hour live zoom schedule. I go back and forth between crying and laughing about it. It is absurd for us As teachers but even more absurd for the poor kids they are expecting to be on the other end of these zoom calls. Our PD Week will be similar hours per day on zoom and I know damn well I will be turning my camera off and multitasking. How will kids not do the same?

I donít have much advice because Iím over here freaking out but a couple thoughts that have helped calm me down:

1. I canít imagine K/1 parents are not going to pushback when they hear This schedule.
2. I am going to give them a lot of breaks. Stretch breaks, dance breaks, eye breaks, mindfulness breaks, etc.
3. I am going to assign them work on seesaw and have them complete it during class and then go over the answers.
4. Im going to play a lot of games, chants, songs and Iím going to use a lot of phonics, grammar, math, science videos.
5. I have considered awarding points per class or per day for students who Login on time, leave their camera on the whole time, staying on screen etc. I donít think I am going to go this route though because I donít think what is being asked of them at this age is appropriate.

I have done a lot of live zoom lessons at this point. We were live for reading/math 4 hours a week in the spring. That was really tough. Then I decided to teach Remote summer school (also 4 hours a week). I feel like it isnít getting easier and I hate it more and more everyday. I loved my job before all this and now I feel like a failure all the time. Donít even get me started on the glitchy-ness And frozen screens and students constantly losing connection.

I donít want to sound ungrateful though. I really appreciate that my admin put health fIrst. I know this schedule comes out of them being really concerned about students (title 1 school) and widening the achievement gap. Iím really concerned about them as well but this schedule is not the answer.

Emily26

Emily26

My schedule is awful, too.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have Kinders, too. We're scheduled to be live for at least 5 hours during the 8-3 "school day". I spent all summer taking "how to teach online" classes from reputable, respected educational organizations and the message I got from all that learnin' was quite clear: 15 minutes per lesson, tops. Kids just don't have the attention span for hour-long lessons, especially when they're in front of a screen with no real human interaction.

My plan was to do morning meeting, 10 minutes, reading, 15 minute lesson. Then some guided practice time where they can either sign off or stay with me for some extra help. Then lunch, then 15 minutes of math. Once a week or so an intervention or enrichment block with different groups, and additional office hours for kids who need help. I was feeling pretty good about my plan, then I got my schedule.

8-10 Reading
10-11 Specials (the Art or P.E. teacher will join my Zoom call and teach for an hour while I have prep time.
11-11:30 Intervention
11:30-12:30 Math
12:30-1:00 Lunch
1:00-2:00 Science
2:00-3:00 Social Studies

I mean, come on!!!! I can't have 4- and 5-year-olds sitting in front of a screen for that amount of time, nor can I expect parents to sit next to their kids for that long to help them. I'm just flabbergasted. I don't even know how to deal with this. I'm seriously considering taking a leave of absence for 20-21.

Singvogel

"suggested schedule"
Old 08-04-2020, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We're still in negotiations on the MOU. The district wants us in our classrooms, and teachers with families are not wanting to send their own kids to day care. My issue is the dust and dirt from the construction going on right outside my classroom door.

We have state guidelines for hours by grade level- K-3, 3 hours, 4-8, 4 hours. Our curriculum director sent out a suggested schedule that had when to do what, with hand washing/bathroom and had washing/lunch built in. I thought that was interesting, given that they are at home.

Another thing that didn't seem to be considered in her schedule is- How are families with multiple children supposed to supervise/support, especially if they have littles?
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

sterlingsun

Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

No schedule yet. I'm in a new district this year and we go back Sept 8th (teachers September 1st). Not sure if we will be synchronous or asynchronous or not either. I am hoping we get communication by the end of the week. My particular school is working on getting laptops out to students as we're distance learning for MP1.
sterlingsun is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 08-04-2020, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That sounds crazy. Also, you donīt get a lunch??
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Sample ES Schedule
Old 08-04-2020, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is posted on my district's website as a sample elementary schedule:

9:00- 9:30

Morning Meeting: Focus on social emotional wellness and building community

9:30-10:20

Mathematics

10:20-10:30

Screen Time Break

10:30-11:10

Science or Social Studies

11:10- 12:10

Lunch and Family Time

12:10-1:10

Language Arts:

1:10-1:20

Screen Time Break

1:20-1:50

Specials: Art, Music, Physical Education, or other

1:50-2:50

Specialized Instruction: Opportunity for special education, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) services, additional teacher led instruction for small groups, teacher assigned independent work

2:50- 3:10

End of Day Wrap Up: Reflection and Preparation for the Next Day

3:10-3:45

Family Choice Activities
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-04-2020, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Get someone to send your principal Jennifer Gonzalez’s FB live from today.

https://www.facebook.com/692983741/p...216138742/?d=n

These all day live teaching schedules are insane.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

I_hate_snakes

Happy update
Old 08-05-2020, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Today was our first staff day back and I chose to go in person. I talked with a new coworker who agreed that the schedule was awful. I made a new one with 15 minute whole group sessions and 2 hours of small group time instead and brought it to the AP who approved it!
I_hate_snakes is offline   Reply With Quote