The VENT

I Am Annoyed

>

patman119

I Am Annoyed
Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Been a while since I posted here.
My district had to make some cuts due to COVID. Instead of cutting paras and non essential staff, they decided to cut teachers and reassign some to other schools, despite some of them not certified to teach grades they were transferred to.
My position was “cut”. However, HR admitted it was a mistake and they would try to restore my position and they have failed to do so.
They involuntarily transferred me from a high school to an elementary school. I have never taught elementary school.
I have tried getting my union involved. They weren’t too helpful and quit responding to my emails. Makes me wonder why are we paying dues and they aren’t helping. HR has failed to respond to any of my emails and they never pick up the phone.
Teachers here will start on the 17th and I still don’t know my class schedule at this elementary school. I haven’t been able to plan and it is really stressing me out! The P at this elementary school only emailed me once to add me to their texting app and that’s it. At this rate, all I can do is sit there and not go insane over all of this.

patman119 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just curious, what is your certification? Are you in a PK-12 certified field (arts and humanities, foreign language, PE, etc...) or do you have a specific high school certification (7-12 English)? Are you in your cert or not?
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unpopular opinion, but ime unions are a waste of money. I'm in NJ and for having a supposedly "good" union, they do literally nothing. OP, they probably stopped replying to you because they are powerless and can't help you.

patman119

Computer Science
Old 08-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My certification for my license is in Computer Science. My state has that listed under K-12. However, this school apparently does not have a technology classroom or lab. So I am still not understanding why I was transferred there.

BioBirdie

Crazy stuff happening...
Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Crazy stuff happening at schools. My school didnt fill positions emptied by retirement. I get a 50% workload increase. I teach high school, now also teach 7th grade science. I am very stressed, but happy I still have a job and in same building. Not happy about larger classes. Is your school going back in person, remote or hybrid? Maybe your computer skills are needed at the other grade level due to shifts away from close-contact learning. I'm trying to figure out how to do paperless science labs. Good luck to you!

BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

bonita47

Old 08-06-2020, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with you. I like the idea of unions but mine is useless and frequently stops responding to emails as well. The leaders of my union all seem to be buddies with the higher ups in my district. I wish I could quit paying dues.
bonita47 is offline   Reply With Quote

patman119

Remote Learning
Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

BioBirdie: My district is doing remote learning for the first 5 weeks of the school year. If we go back to the physical classroom, we will be in a blended learning system.

My district put people wherever they had vacancies. One example I noticed was someone who taught high school math is not being forced to teach 5th/6th grade math, when their certification is 7-12. This school they transferred me to doesn't even have a technology classroom!

What upset me the most is that I still get emails from my high school. Today, I got a copy of their master schedule and two teachers that were permanently laid off from the district were brought back to teach subjects they aren't even certified to teach! One taught high school math and is all of a sudden teaching Spanish, even though their certification is math/science!

My high school principal did not want me to leave. I am going to probably send her an email and see if she has room in her master schedule to have me teach there since I still have no official class schedule for this elementary school.

patman119

Agree
Old 08-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Bonita47: I agree with your statement as well. If I could stop paying, I would. I could use the extra money anyway.

BioBirdie

Math teaching science!
Old 08-06-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Patman, it does sound like teachers are being treated as warm bodies and not trained professionals. My school hired a long term sub a few years ago to teach Spanish and she couldn't speak Spanish...French was close enough! At least she was following the regular teachers plans. I really hope that your new and old administrators can figure out that you belong where you were hired to be.
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 08-07-2020, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I was a regular teacher, I went through many of the things you're going through. It was very stressful for me, and I know it is for you.

My story is a very long one, but here are the basic details: I taught high school (for a short time), middle school, and elementary at various times as a regular teacher, and I've subbed at all levels. High school and middle school teaching can be very rewarding (I had some great experiences there), but lately, I've come to enjoy elementary schools the most. The kids can be disrespectful, but the level of disrespect doesn't even come close to the disrespect I've experienced in the upper grades in the last several years (it isn't getting better). You might discover that you really enjoy working with younger students. One bonus--you won't have to deal with phones.

I'm assuming your new school will have computers on a cart. You could make basic keyboarding skills a part of your lessons. That's one thing teachers have to teach, but often don't have enough time to do. You could also do some basic coding, and I think that would be very popular with everyone. Students often use computers for classroom research projects, and that could also be part of some of your lessons. Teaching at this level might turn out much better than expected.

Regarding unions: As a sub, I'm not a union member, but I was for a long time as a regular teacher. Unions have their weaknesses (I could almost write a book about that), and I can understand the frustrations many people have. At the same time, things would be much worse for public school teachers if they didn't
exist.

Last edited by c6g; 08-07-2020 at 05:56 AM..
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 08-07-2020, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I wonder if there will be computers on a cart. They’d have to be disinfected after every use. We have a computer lab & we have been told no lab classes.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Is there a problem
Old 08-07-2020, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

with not having "highly qualified" teachers under federal requirements with the district doing random assignments?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-07-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Frankly, if they are planning to have you back F2F eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if you are going to be a babysitter for the year. Because social distancing means class sizes have to be severely reduced, they need more warm bodies. Our schools are shuffling staff around too, and there are some people being assigned to do childcare during our remote learning, and then will be covering classrooms when we're in person again. (The childcare is for essential workers/healthcare workers who need their kids to go someplace.)

If I were you, I'd be calling the P. It's too close to the start of school not to have any communication about what your job truly is.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

patman119

Update
Old 08-08-2020, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

So I got two emails from the union reps on Friday and I found out that they are trying to force me to teach out of my content area, yet they still won’t tell me what that is. Of course, I have to wait for an answer from the district. Our contract specifically states that teachers cannot teach classes they are not certified to teach. I guess they probably wanted me to be a Tech teacher teaching ELA or Science. . And they also assumed that I would be okay with that.