What mental health services do you feel are lacking
Old 11-06-2015, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

in your school/district?

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-06-2015, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My most recent school district had school behavioral health workers who were masters level people (masters in any number of fields- social work, counseling psychology, marriage/family therapy- most of the people in those positions had NO experience/training in working in schools) devoted to working with higher level needs including servicing behavioral goals on IEPs.

Most schools also had school counselors (although some were cutting those out) who primarily did group lessons in the classrooms and dealt with lower needs/crisis counseling. A huge part of their job description revolved around managing state testing and helping with scheduling.

At the district level, we also had a few clinical psychologists who were called in as the "big guns." They oversaw the school behavioral health workers, and they also provided some therapy to extremely high needs students.

And we had a few school psychologists who did some counseling/therapy, but were primarily seen as district assessors.

It seems like we had all levels covered, but the problems I saw revolved around communication and continuous service. The various branches almost never communicated with one another, and I saw that as very problematic. So kids who needed elevated services didn't seem to get that far, and lower service providers weren't aware of the kids receiving higher levels of services, so there was a lot of time lost because a "lower" service provider was trying to deal with a crisis that was actually an ongoing problem under treatment from the big guns. (lower here is just referring to the level of intense services given, NOT a reflection on my opinion of the providers!! )
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

services in my district
Old 11-06-2015, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My district used to not have very many mental health services, but that is slowly changing. The high school has always had some, but we now have interns and a full time mental health clinician. The guidance counselors also provide some basic counseling, but it's for low-key issues. That is my role too as a school psychologist. I just do counseling. If a student has bigger issues and needs more therapy, then I refer them to a mental health clinician.

We are starting to get mental health services at the elementary level now because before there was NOTHING! I think the district is starting to see that being proactive at the elementary level benefits the children quite a bit.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

cardnialteach

In my district
Old 11-08-2015, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have a school counselor at the K-8 level and at the High School level. I am the first of those two. At the High School she deals with the career planning and prep for post secondary. She also does some one on one for smaller issues, but not for ongoing counseling or major issues. I go in weekly to my elementary classes and do 30 minute lessons on character issues, test taking strategies, career exploration, etc. Currently I have a couple students I see weekly one on one to help with anger control in the classroom. In the past I have done small groups, but this is very hard because teachers don't like to let them out of their rooms. If they have more need than I can provide I refer them to an outside agency. While I have a masters in School Counseling, it is not enough nor suppose to be enough for more clinical counseling. I, too, am the district test coordinator. This took up a majority of my time in the beginning. Now the worst time is during state assessments. I am usuall out of classrooms from mid February to the end of the year. This year we have new windows so I don't know what will happen yet. Our school psychologist is part of our special education coop and she does all the testing for IEP evaluations. She. Ones to our schools usually once a week, but I rarely see her. We also have a school Social Worker, but she only works with those students who have that service noted in their IEP. I did run one group with her several years ago.
cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote