School Mental Health

interview

>

Bigfoot

interview
Old 06-05-2020, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
Where I live there are very few teacher counselling positions. However, in a city around 4 hours away there are a number of them. I decided to post my resume for a counselling position. I have never been on one, so what kind of questions can I expect.

Thanks

Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-05-2020, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's a good question. Do you know what the role of the counselor is in that district/school? If you are able to see their web pages and get a sense of what they do there, that can help you prepare. For example, some districts have counselors as testing administrators for state testing. You'd want to be able to speak to your ability to stay organized and communicate deadlines, etc. All the counseling positions I have seen have counselors as the 504 coordinators. So you'd want to be knowledgable about that. However, since you are spelling counseling with 2 Ls, you might not be in the US and maybe neither of those things apply.

I'd also want to be familiar with any curriculum they might use in the school if they have counselors doing weekly or monthly lessons in classrooms, any types of groups you have led (again, with curriculum if you use it or they use it).

When I got my position as counselor, I didn't get asked a lot of questions. But their previous counselor did almost nothing so they didn't even know what to ask me. It was a K-12 school, pretty small. My job ended up being 504 coordinator, state testing coordinator, individual counseling for students who had counseling on their IEPs, groups for anger management, weekly lessons in some classrooms, teaching an AVID class to middle schoolers, weekly college/career readiness for high schoolers, crisis management, and lots of impromptu counseling for the administration It was a very varied job description, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

In another (huge) elementary school where I worked in a different position, there were 3 counselors who all had different levels of expertise and covered different grades. They all did regular lessons in classrooms, group work, and individual work with students- but not those on IEPs because they had a different person for that. They also did the 504 plans for students in their grade levels.

In high school, counselors are often heavily invested in course planning and college/career readiness in addition to some actual counseling.

Aside from the specific things you may be asked related to how they use counselors in their schools, you will also likely be asked about how you make connections with students, how you work with parents, and collaboration with teachers and staff members.

Hopefully someone who has had more recent experience will pipe in. You can also find some links online. Here is a link that goes over questions you might want to ask: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/admi...ool-counselors This link is a little older, but may have some good ideas: https://www.thehelpfulcounselor.com/...ounseling-job/ and there is this one: https://www.csuohio.edu/sites/defaul...Counselors.pdf

Those are just a few things that pop up right away online that may or may not be helpful.

GOOD LUCK!! I hope you are able to find the job of your dreams. School counselors are so important.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Sophianna

What if...
Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lots of questions about "What would you do if..." and some of them I can recall are

- a parent yells at you for...
- a parent is overly passive and you can't get them involved.
- a student had hygiene issues.
- a teacher asked you for suggestions regarding...
- you are referred a student and the teacher won't let you take them.

They know nothing about theoretical orientation, so I just focus on my relationship skills both with students and teachers.

Good luck!

Sophie
Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote