Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

F2F family session

>

emeraldcity

F2F family session
Old 01-05-2021, 04:30 PM

Julia, the counselor was great. Katherine, my daughter who has been on her own mental health journey gave Nathan some great feedback.
I was surprised at Nathan's memory loss. Although from Al Anon I knew it is typical for the first year.
He was prescribed Zoloft while inpatient but did not follow through the process for getting refills. He also did not follow the process for getting Vivitrol (sp?) shots which lessens cravings.
He hasn't gotten a sponsor and isn't attending 3 AA or similar meetings a week. When he reaches the time for step down to less intense treatment he seems to be triggered. Katherine talked to him about self sabotage.
The counselor suggested a sober living house; Nathan declined.
Not having F2F AA meetings definitely makes things harder. He really prefers when his group is F2F but Ohio has too many covid cases. Also, in the fall his shop was sold and all the equipment removed. He likes our minister, but the church is F2F, no masks, singing and gatherings for meals. He and Katherine were very involved with community theater but, again, covid.
My husband's contribution was that Nathan should not enroll in another online college class. He got a D in Fall semester. All of us stressed that recovery needed to be his focus.
But, the urgency, the energy seems to be missing. From Nathan. He is faithful to his group; I am hoping his treatment team will keep him at this level of care. He can pick up Zoloft tomorrow and David will prompt him to remember to take it.
He has to get a sponsor. There is one church in town still allowing F2F AA meetings with masks encouraged. He will go there tomorrow evening and hopefully get a sponsor. He is familiar with the regular attendees at this meeting.
Someone gave me a link for online Al Anon, so I am going there.
You guys are literally my family. Right now I have no one else to "talk" with. All of you gave such good feedback; things I knew but needed to be reminded. I so need some tight hugs, and for someone to look into my eyes and tell me it will be okay. ODAT. I do surrender it to God, but it hurts so much to see my son struggle. I am proud and so thankful, however, that he continues the struggle.

Dorothy

emeraldcity is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-05-2021, 04:49 PM

sending up prayers for healing for your family--sending you a virtual hug!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 01-05-2021, 05:11 PM

Wish I could hug you tight in real life, but this will have to do! ((hugs)) you will get through this. It is so hard but take it one day at a time.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Hugs!
Old 01-05-2021, 05:29 PM

Thank you for the update. We are only as happy as our saddest child. Praying for healing for your whole family.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 01-05-2021, 05:57 PM

Hats off to all you parents. I donít know how you do it. I canít even imagine what the worry must be like in general, let alone when there are issues.

Iím so glad you have PT as a space where you can get it all out and get advice.

CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-05-2021, 06:37 PM

((((Dorothy)))) Thanks for this update. I am feeling hopeful- it sounds like there are some ideas for moving forward. My heart is with you and your family.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-05-2021, 07:11 PM

Thank you for the update, it does sound promising. I like that Katharine gave such good insight. I know it is hard, but keep the faith and do what you need to do for you.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 01-06-2021, 01:57 PM

(((hugs)))
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-06-2021, 02:47 PM

It's just the worst to watch your child struggle like this, but I agree that it's hopeful that he IS struggling to overcome this. Sometimes it just goes like this; they struggle and relapse and get discouraged but then sometimes there comes a magic day when they begin to turn it all around. One of my favorite former students went through this for quite a while before he'd had enough. But he just celebrated his one-year clean and sober anniversary last week. Hang in there.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote