Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How am just learning this?

>

ICrazyTeach

How am just learning this?
Old 02-03-2021, 01:20 PM

Apparently narwhals are real animals. I had no idea. Unicorns, mermaids, narwhals...they were all in the same cute fantasy animal category in my mind. The real ones...not so cute.

I was blown away by this revelation and had to share in a safe place

Anyone else learn something long after you probably should have known?

ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 02-03-2021, 01:35 PM

I'm not sure how old I was when I learned that Humpty Dumpty was an egg. I was definitely an adult.
I probably only know about narwhals from reading about them to my first graders.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-03-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I probably only know about narwhals from reading about them to my first graders.
I learned about them from one of my first graders! It was her topic for an animal research project. I was prepping myself for the "those are so fun, but we're learning about real animals" speech when she started sharing facts that sounded like she'd done some research So I had to look them up!
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-03-2021, 02:15 PM

I didn't know that either! I totally thought it was like unicorns too. The first I heard of them was a couple of years ago when my teammate showed me a cute book she'd gotten for her child from the book fair. Thanks for posting!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 02-03-2021, 02:50 PM

Same here! I bought my daughter a shirt with a narwhal when she was around 10 and she was the one who told me they were real!

tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyteachmath

Not me but..
Old 02-03-2021, 03:02 PM

My dh thought reindeer were not real. He thought because they were associated with flying a sleigh for Santa that they were made up!
Kyteachmath is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 02-03-2021, 04:27 PM

I did know that because I used to collect unicorns and still have many pieces. It's possible that sailors are responsible for the emergence of unicorn folklore after seeing narwhals in the ocean.

In the 70's the Metropolitan Museum hosted tapestries from around the world exhibition. The Cloisters Museum in New York, a magical place, is the home of the Hunt of the Unicorn tapestries which I had visited several times. The Lady and the Unicorn tapestries' home is in France. It was the first time both series of tapestries were displayed in the same museum. And as far as I know, the only time. I was very fortunate to be able to view the exhibition.

This is one panel from the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-03-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
The Cloisters Museum in New York, a magical place, is the home of the Hunt of the Unicorn tapestries which I had visited several times.
I was visiting the Cloisters Museum when an art teacher was taking her HS class on a tour, and my friend and I casually lingered on the edge of the group while she talked about the tapestries. I think we more interested than many in her class were. It was so fascinating!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

I just learned
Old 02-03-2021, 05:29 PM

I just learned I have eaten cow stomach on the thread below. I used to have a parent for 2 years that sent me homemade food all the time and she would send me Menudo. I had no clue it has cow stomach in it. Well.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-03-2021, 05:53 PM

ASAM-

I don't know when I learned about narwhals, but I think it was a reasonable time. I'm sure I've learned several things way later than I should have- I just can't think of any specific examples!

I do think it took me way too long to learn to spell "weird" and "opposed"

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Gromit...
Old 02-03-2021, 06:28 PM

Did you know that John D. Rockefeller was responsible for not only the museum but also for donating the land across the river to preserve the natural beauty and to prevent any development. You really do go back in time.

I thought it was a Rockefeller but I checked to be sure. I'm so glad I did. The Cloisters website offer free video tours. I will be visiting the site again!

ICrazyTeach, I'm so glad you posted!

elsa4409

Old 02-03-2021, 06:31 PM

I was just telling my husband that I didn't know they were real until a few years ago. I thought they were like unicorns, but from the sea. I remember looking up party planning supplies with my friend online and for some reason, that prompted me to look into it. Imagine my surprise!

I feel like there are SO many things I learned and I feel like most happened when I was at least in my late 20s. One day I was thinking of the song "Shoo, fly! Don't bother me!" I was having a little talk with myself that went something like this, "This song is about a shoe fly, but I have never heard anything else about a shoe fly and was it just made up for the song?" I think this was one that came to my on my own. I hope.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Elsa4409
Old 02-03-2021, 07:40 PM

We used to visit the Amish community in Pennsylvania. We always looked forward to Shoo Fly pie.

Of course I had to Google it and discovered there is a beautiful purple flower called Shoo Fly and it does repel flies. It also refers to a child's rocking chair. Who knew!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

WordFountain

Loving this post! :-)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:29 AM

Here’s my contribution: I was at a middle school dance in the early 90’s dancing to the YMCA with my BFF. When mid song/dance I looked at her with such an epiphany and exclaimed: “we’re making the letters with our arms!” I’m still haunted (ie made fun of) by that to this day

1. I love the Cloisters. It’s one of my favorite museums. I was a Lit major and one time my Lit Prof (an expert in Chaucer & Shakespeare) took a few of us in our class on a day trip. He used to go on archeological digs in the UK back in the day - his experiences, stories, and passion for the time period is still a very fond memory.

2. I was literally talking about narwhals last night with my friend’s daughter. She told me very matter of factly: “You know they’re real, right.” Then we sang the song

3. My DH & I absolutely love Shoe Fly pie. It is a staple to eat when visiting Lancaster, PA and also to take a pie home to eat in NJ.

Again - love this thread!!!
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-04-2021, 06:09 AM

It appears that my learning about shoo/e fly is not complete.

It’s always fascinating to me how much we can learn here. I am always so surprised to learn about how different things are in different areas around the country. I’m fascinated by international things, too, but I always expect those things to be different.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 02-04-2021, 04:32 PM

I must admit that when my DD was young, and we would read "Baby Beluga", I always told her that the narwhal in the illustration was an imaginary animal!!!

This particular daughter was obsessed with animals her whole life, and it didn't take her long to correct me (probably around age 3 lol!). I had no clue!!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-04-2021, 07:20 PM

I am 61 and until a couple of years ago I thought you couldn't have a beach without an ocean!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 02-07-2021, 05:38 PM

I am 47, and only learned within the past year that Broadway is the name of a street in New York and not the name of a theater.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote