Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you understand this? (Covid)

>

amiga13

Do you understand this? (Covid)
Old 02-28-2021, 07:59 AM

I dont understand why so many are refusing the vaccine, do you?
From The NY Times:
Quote:
Roughly one-third of active-duty troops and National Guard members mostly younger personnel have declined to take the vaccine, another potential hole in the broad-scale immunity that health experts say is needed for Americans to reclaim their lives.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 02-28-2021, 08:04 AM

There are a lot of anti vaxxers out there....
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-28-2021, 08:09 AM

That, unfortunately, seems to be true of our first responders here, too.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 02-28-2021, 08:10 AM

1. Because people believe those conspiracy theories about Bill Gates putting tracking chips in the vaccine.

2. Because people are concerned about how fast the vaccines were approved without studies of long term effects.

1 is laughable. 2 I understand. I had similar concerns, but ultimately decided that since this type of vaccine has been in the works for a very long time, I am willing to take it to help stop this pandemic.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 02-28-2021, 08:20 AM

I do understand reason #2 that you mentioned, chalkdusty. However, my thinking is, what is the alternative? Since there are many known possible serious long term effects of covid, not to mention the very real possibility of dying from it, I would rather take my chances with the vaccine.
We probably won't know the full blown consequences for both the illness and the vaccine for years.

Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-28-2021, 08:27 AM

Not trying to make this political, it's just what it is. Many in the military are more conservative politically and view Covid as not a big deal or even a hoax.

Although mostly considered safe, the vaccines are still new. There are questions about long term effects, risks to fertility, etc.

And, of course, there are those who believe the vaccine contain micro chips
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Covid Vaccine
Old 02-28-2021, 08:31 AM

I'll get the vaccine, but I have to say, I do wonder sometimes if there will be long term effects we aren't aware of. Covid has been around for a year and we have this vaccine for it already. I get they do tests and trials for side effects and such, but who's to say what can happen years from now? In the end, though, I'm willing to take the risk, but it does make me wonder.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-28-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Since there are many known possible serious long term effects of covid, not to mention the very real possibility of dying from it, I would rather take my chances with the vaccine.
The above, my having an underlying medical condition that makes COVID more deadly to me, and the fact I know several medical people who researched the vaccines and took them last December made me more comfortable getting vaccinated. I had my first vaccination Friday.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-28-2021, 08:38 AM

I've read there's only one news source for the active military.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 02-28-2021, 08:40 AM

I get the concern with not knowing long-term effects, but we already know some are having after effects from having the virus and sometimes permanent damage.

The decision for me was based in my asthma. If I get the virus i would more likely end up in the hospital. Been there done that before. Don't ever want to be there again, with it potentially even being worse.

I trust my chiro with every breath I take. He's not sure he's going to get it, but he absolutely 1000% agreed I should get it.

teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Understanding refusing vaccine
Old 02-28-2021, 08:48 AM

I have to agree with Chalkdusty.

I have a very close friend who is a viet nam vet. Originally he was anti vaccination. Because he thought there was something in it to either purposely make you more sick or to track you. I called him on this lunacy saying you actually think someone is trying to control your thoughts???

He has now had both shots.

Getting back to your original question, when I saw that article this morning, I, too, was dumbfounded at the high percentage. Some people are gravely misinformed about the vaccine...and IMHO, are choosing to stay uninformed out of fear or ignorance.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 02-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Im not surprised considering that the military is predominantly young males who think they are invincible. Im sure they have the attitude that they are healthy, strong, badass, and can fight anything, including the virus.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 02-28-2021, 08:55 AM

Vaccines come with risks. For the young and healthy, COVID, if acquired, poses very little risk. So, many people decide they don't want the risks the vaccines introduce, especially if they are saying that you can't return to normal, they don't know how long the immunity will last, etc.

PEPteach

Old 02-28-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I'll get the vaccine, but I have to say, I do wonder sometimes if there will be long term effects we aren't aware of. Covid has been around for a year and we have this vaccine for it already. I get they do tests and trials for side effects and such, but who's to say what can happen years from now? In the end, though, I'm willing to take the risk, but it does make me wonder.
Exactly this. I did end up getting my vaccine - #2 tomorrow! But I continue to have concerns about long-term side effects. I've also heard that it may only last for 5-6 months, so I wonder how sustainable this is. I also feel that we all have the right to decide what to put into our bodies and that choice should be respected even if we don't agree. I do understand that that has consequences for all of us, though. (Not saying anyone here isn't being respectful, but in general.)
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-28-2021, 09:20 AM

There are people who don't believe in the science of the virus.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Vaccine
Old 02-28-2021, 09:21 AM

1. I listened to my doctor and got the vaccine. So did DH. He's 67 . I'm 63. We gave no thought to chips.
2. The young people I've had an opportunity to speak with are concerned with side effects with a current pregnancy or pregnancy of future children and birth defects.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

The pandemic...
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 AM

I really believe there are people out there who do not take the pandemic seriously and/or do not believe that serious illness can happen to them. After all, our former president had it and was back out campaigning and holding rallies fairly fast, even after a night of hospitalization. If they don't believe they could get seriously ill and even die from the disease, they might feel that the potential side effects from a vaccine that has not been around a long time, outweighs the benefits from a vaccine.

There also is a sad history of medical abuse with some minority groups, and there could be some mistrust issues for the vaccine related to that.

For me personally, I couldn't wait till it was my turn to get the vaccine. I want to be back on the road to normalcy sooner rather than later and the immediate risk of getting sick outweighs any future risk right now for me based on the science.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 02-28-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Covid has been around for a year and we have this vaccine for it already.
As I understand it, the research they used for this vaccine has been in the works for a while since SARS (2001? 2005?) which I think is also a corona virus.

A friend and I were discussing this a while ago. She thinks a lot of the younger ones who are anti vaxxers never had, because of vaccinations, any of the childhood illnesses that most of us who are older DID have: mumps, measles, chicken pox. As a result, they don't know the severity of the diseases. I reckon the worst disease they've ever had has been a cold.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 AM

It does say that those refusing are younger. Honestly, if I was younger I would have seriously had to consider if I was willing to get the vaccine without knowing the long term affects. If we do find out there are long term affects, I won't have to live with them for 50+ years, as opposed to someone in their 20 and 30s. Plus people in their 20s and 30s with no risk factors seem to be at relatively low risk of serious illness if they do get the virus. I can understand their hesitation.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

deny vaccine
Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 AM

There were some vaccines that military were required to have in the past that possibly caused health issues in future children.

And at the beginning of the pandemic Covid-19 seemed to be broadcasted as hitting the elderly and those with health issues. News were about the numbers dying in the nursing homes. Not young healthy military types.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 02-28-2021, 09:57 AM

Some people believe that the vaccines are just experimental and they do not want to be "guinea pigs" for the government.

Some people are scared away from the vaccine by all the anecdotes of how sick some people have gotten after the second dose.

Some people have already had covid and don't think they need the vaccine.

The vaccine does not prevent you from getting the virus. People who receive the vaccine are still encouraged to wear masks and to social distance. Some people read and hear this and think "What's the point of the vaccine if nothing changes?"

Some people believe that virus vaccines actually weaken your natural immune system, and that you would be better off getting antibodies by actually getting sick rather than getting the vaccine. These are same people who think Covid is no worse than the flu, and these people refuse to get flu shots, too.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 02-28-2021, 10:11 AM

I can understand both sides of the argument. I too am not getting the vaccine at this time. My school gave the first vaccine the first of the month. I still have antibodies from having COVID in December and am not allowed to get it at this time anyway. My dr. believes we will all need to get a COVID vaccine yearly like the flu, which I do get. I am just waiting to see how things go with the vaccine. My DD who is 23 and a paramedic did not get the vaccine as she is uncertain of the side effects and future children. My dad who is 73 and has COPD got his first shot last week. My mom is 70 and is in great health is not able to get the shot yet. She is undecided as well. Dad is a Vietnam vet and has very poor lung capacity. We are still staying away and he is not going out anywhere like before he received his shot. I believe in vaccines 100 % but this one scares me. I think each person should decide for themselves and choose what they believe is best for them. I don't agree with shaming either side. Just my thoughts.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-28-2021, 10:36 AM

I agree that each of us decides what goes into our bodies, but I worry that anti-vaxxers will infect others.

And I think this is a quite brilliant observation:
Quote:
A friend and I were discussing this a while ago. She thinks a lot of the younger ones who are anti vaxxers never had, because of vaccinations, any of the childhood illnesses that most of us who are older DID have: mumps, measles, chicken pox. As a result, they don't know the severity of the diseases. I reckon the worst disease they've ever had has been a cold.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 02-28-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Some people believe that virus vaccines actually weaken your natural immune system, and that you would be better off getting antibodies by actually getting sick rather than getting the vaccine. These are same people who think Covid is no worse than the flu, and these people refuse to get flu shots, too.
Mrs. Lilbit mentioned this group that really makes me shake my head. I wouldn't want to get immunity to small pox, measles, tetanus, diphtheria, rubella, polio, etc by actually getting the disease. Vaccines are meant to strengthen your immune response to disease.

I truly understand those who had recovered from Covid taking a wait and see approach to vaccination. If you already have antibodies, why take the vaccine?

I also understand those of childbearing age being concerned as well. There is a lot to consider in that case. I do not know any epidemiologists personally to get their take on this, nor have I done extensive reading on it since that stage of life is way behind me.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

vaccine
Old 02-28-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
After all, our former president had it and was back out campaigning and holding rallies fairly fast, even after a night of hospitalization.
Recently it has come out that doctors feared the worst, and were considering putting the former president on a ventilator as his oxygen level was very low and he was found to have lung infiltrates. Luckily for him, he received the best medication possible. I'm sure this part has not been broadcast widely.

Quote:
Some people have already had covid and don't think they need the vaccine.
My DS, at the time a healthy 23-year old active military, got COVID in February 2020, as his unit was coming back from Africa and had a forced 4-day layover (due to their plane's engine trouble) in Europe where the virus was already raging. They never went off-site, but he and a handful of others were exposed, and by the time they arrived back in the US, he had a "mild" case of COVID: loss of taste/smell, body aches, headaches, cough and fever, feeling exhausted. He recovered, but it took over 2 months to feel his normal self again. He definitely understands the consequences of getting COVID, and had the vaccine 3 weeks ago, along with the others in his unit.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 02-28-2021, 11:11 AM

Im actually a little surprised that active duty personnel can decline to take it.

I was in the Army back in the 80s served overseas too and I dont remember having an option. They just lined you up and gave you shots. Back then you had a paper shot record that they listed all of your shots on.
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 02-28-2021, 11:13 AM

I was able to get my first dose early because so many first responders declined. Our county had close to 800 doses they were going to have to dispose of, but principals and other school leaders were able to get those doses to teachers and others working in schools.

At this point I think it is important to get the doses into the people who see the need for it and worry about anti vaxers later.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

RamonaQuimby

Old 02-28-2021, 11:18 AM

I think the fertility thing is big for some people. My friend has put off getting it for a while for that reason. She is not anti-vaccine at all. She simply wants to consider it and talk to her gynecologist before she takes it. Fertility is a valid opt-out reason.

Quote:
I've read there's only one news source for the active military.
Haha! Rest easy, this is not true. I wonder where you read that, though!
RamonaQuimby is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 AM

I had my first dose this week. I really would rather my children (18&21) not get it for reason #2. If something pops up in 20-30 years eh, Im on my way out. They are just getting started. No long term studies on the offspring of vaccinated people have been done either.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

LoveItaly

Old 02-28-2021, 02:23 PM

Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker. I have always enjoyed reading all of your posts. I feel that I have learned so much from all of you. I had my first covid shot last Friday. At first I was a bit apprehensive but decided I did not want to risk getting the virus again. I had it last April. From my understanding Amiga, not only the anti-vaxxers can infect others. Those of us that are vaccinated can get the virus, but be asymptomatic. We can also infect others.
LoveItaly is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Responding to various things posted
Old 02-28-2021, 02:31 PM

Active duty military have access to any news source they care to access. Yes, there's a newspaper (assuming it's still in print) called The Stars and Stripes, but that is certainly not "required" reading, nor all they have access to. They have internet access just like the rest of us.

Yes, you get immunization shots when you join the military, but the CoVid vaccine isn't required, yet, so they wouldn't have to get it/still have a choice in the matter.

I support freedom of choice for all. Especially for military members who protect our great country and the freedoms we currently have.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We had several of our teachers who refused it
Old 02-28-2021, 03:00 PM

I was ready and willing. I look at it this way. I would rather die of the covid vaccine than in a hospital all alone where none of my loved ones could be with me while I was suffering.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Fear of Illness and Treatments
Old 02-28-2021, 03:21 PM

When people become fearful they do not always make decisions logically. I remember my mother telling me that when she was young many people thought cancer could be contagious.

Hopefully with time people will become less fearful and join the vaccinated. We all process information and make decisions differently.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

One more thought
Old 02-28-2021, 04:05 PM

When I was first married, there was an outbreak of Swine Flu. Everyone was getting vaccinated, and many people had some serious side effects from the vaccine. One of the side effects was Guillain-Barre Syndrome which caused paralysis. I had gotten the vaccine, with no side effects, but it scared me. It was a long time before I was willing to get any kind of vaccines. This time didn't scare me though. I guess after having cancer twice, I just don't want to get sick with anything else that will cause lasting problems.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 02-28-2021, 06:38 PM

I was talking with a friend today who was on her way to get her second vaccination. I get mine tomorrow and made a similar observation about not understanding the vast reluctance. She mentioned the concern about possible impacts on pregnancies/those of childbearing age. Not something either of us are going to have happen at this point but it was genuinely not something I had considered.
I do feel like there are a number of people who have had covid who we know are experiencing lingering long-term side effects. I seem predisposed to lung infections....frequent bouts of bronchitis. Pneumonia. I figure I'm probably one who would struggle with covid so there wasn't much of an issue for me.
I do think there's something to be said for those who haven't had much exposure to diseases that we get vaccines for, nor knowing those who have experienced serious effects from those illnesses. I can easily imagine how frightening it would have been to experience the polio outbreaks in the US and how grateful I'd have been to be able to get that vaccine.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote