Primary Grades (K-2)

Switching From K to 2nd

>

allset08

Switching From K to 2nd
Old 03-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all!

After teaching kindergarten for quite a few years, I am switching to 2nd grade this fall. While I am familiar with the content standards and what to teach, I need some help with the typical day to day routines.

I feel like I have so many questions and that all of them are silly! Do teachers conduct Morning Meeting in 2nd grade? If so, what does it look like? How do you organize your classroom library--by theme or by leveled books? Any other helpful tips or tricks for the transition or other important information in regards to 2nd?

Thank you in advance!!

allset08 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 03-26-2018, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When it comes to your classroom library, honestly you can organize it however you want. I taught 2nd grade for many years and organized it by genre and series mostly with color dot stickers (green-easy, yellow-med, red-hard). When I moved down to first, I also added leveled baskets for beginner readers (by F and P levels).
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

K to 2
Old 03-26-2018, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did this and loved it. 2nd graders are experienced in his to "do" school, but are still young enough to enjoy silliness, still want to please you, generally don't have attitude.

I arranged 90% of my books by level so everyone always had something to read.

Seriously, second grade is the best.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

allset08

Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you! I'm ready for a change. 2nd has always seemed like such a great grade to teach and I am very excited! A bit overwhelmed, but excited!
allset08 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 03-27-2018, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't have advice for you, but I wanted to mention that I'm new to 2nd as well. I, too, feel a little overwhelmed yet excited. I'm going from a higher grade (3rd) to lower, so I'm sure they'll seem so young to me! You'll probably feel the opposite - they'll seem so big!

My 3rd grade library is by AR levels, so I'm hoping to keep it that way for 2nd. I'm glad to hear it sounds similar.

I wondered about Morning Meeting as well. I don't do it in 3rd.

I know so many people who retired from 2nd grade, so apparently it's an awesome grade to teach!

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Loved switching to 2nd. I taught K, 1, and 2 and think 2nd is the easiest. So loveable but mature enough to be a little independent. I level my books, but I don't think it is a requirement. I color code Neon Green (Pre-Reading: I spy or wordless books), Green (A-E), Red (F-H), Blue (I-J), Yellow (K-L), Orange (M-N), and White (O and above). I also have pink for the monthly books that rotate by season, holiday, or theme. By second, they are really starting to be good readers. Don't forget to focus on comprehension skills. I use the beanie baby reading strategies. I do morning calendar for review, but I also do advanced skills (higher level patterns (red, yellow, green apples with worms on every other), poems and songs for learning, graphing the weather (changes the type of graph each month and harder questions like what is the difference and altogether), time to the minute, incredible equations, money (make the amount in different ways and write the amount 32C (cent sign) or $.32...I also do spelling and word wall at that time, review or phonics charts, math add/subt, measures (12 in=1ft). I try to do it as calendar with lots of review in a real short time frame. Most second grade classrooms will have reading groups and centers/seatwork. I LOVE using my listening center. Good luck and don't worry you will enjoy it.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote