Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

I need some help with reading - long

>

Zephie

I need some help with reading - long
Old 11-06-2018, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will preface this entire long vent/plea for help with the following statement: I would not have admitted this child if I had done his entrance testing.

I teach a small primer classroom with kinder and first in one room. I took over a month ago. Class stats are 4 in K/2 in first. This concerns one of the first graders.

Child is 8 yrs 2.5 months. If he was in public school he would have an IEP or 504 for OHI or global academic delays in my opinion. He has some severe medical issues that we’re not disclosed on his application. (Chiari malformation 2, epilepsy, history of brain surgeries, and more.)

He can barely blend 3 sounds into words. Today he sounded out “sob” then claimed it was the word “golf.” Working memory seems to be nil. He can’t work independently unless I’m hovering over him and giving him 100% of my attention.

He does not even have one-to-one correspondence for the numbers 1-10 yet.

Today there were tears over practicing reading. There have been tears most days - tears and screaming. One on one reading daily is a nightmare and I’m loosing my cool with the constant excuses when I ask him to write something. (“I couldn’t do this page because we don’t have internet at home,” in reference to him not doing a handwriting page when given almost an hour.)

I looked over his entrance testing and his previous school records today with a coworker. He has gone through kindergarten twice already. On his EOY standardized testing (SAT10) he registered as a composite score of 12th percentile the second time. The first time was a 13th percentile. I looked at his first grade readiness test and I believe he failed. He was marked as a 100% on the first part - minimum score to pass part A - and 90.5% on the second part. The minimum score for part B is 80%. I went through and found that it was not scored correctly and he made an 81% on that portion. On my second look through the test I realized that he couldn’t have possibly made a 100% on part A because he couldn’t do many of the skills on it - having a ten minute attention span being the big one.

I don’t know how to meet his needs. It is what it is. I don’t have the option to move him back down - and it would be a negative thing for him to do kindergarten for the third time.

The other first grader is ready to run but I feel I’m having to hold him back to try to meet the other boys needs.

Any ideas to help this tired and frustrated teacher? How can I do this thing so that he isn’t freaking out and I’m not pulling my hair out. I have yet to find his currency. I don’t know what will make him tic enough to actually attempt to learn. He doesn’t think reading is worth learning so I’m just spinning my wheels until I have some buy in from him.

Last edited by Zephie; 11-07-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

Leah_Talbot

Learning Styles
Old 11-11-2018, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work with little first graders. Perhaps you could encourage him to be tested for ADHD? It sounds like that could be the culprit although another likely explanation is a active or kinaesthic learning style. Within any classroom you can find a bunch of learning styles.
Leah_Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I donít think itís as simple as ADHD given his medical history. I would suggest mom take him to the dr for a complete physical. Iím guessing the brain surgeries have led to some processing delays.

I think youíre going to have to do some serious differentiation for him. Donít hold the other firstie back for this kid. The nice thing about having a mixed group is that you can do guided reading groups based on ability rather than age so put your first grader in with your lower second graders (or on his own) and put this kid with kinders. I think youíre also going to have to chunk into smaller parts, he canít handle things in the amount youíre giving him. Maybe write 1 sentence at a time.

I cut a file folder into sections and have them pull the sections back to work.

I also wouldnít be surprised to find out he has memeory issues. Iíd also have mom come in and explain the situation to her. Ask her what she thinks and benreal honest about how far behind he is.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I did a quick read
Old 01-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

on Chiari Malformations and see that it may lead to fine motor coordination problems (writing) and vision difficulties. Sounds like he may be experiencing both. Asking for a neurological work up may save everyone problems, or since he has had surgeries, permission for you to contact his physicians to better understand how his conditions may effect learning and how to adjust for him. How are his vision and hearing? Has he had an occupational therapy evaluation--hand/eye coordination, etc? His doctors may not be aware of how he is doing in non-clinical settings and sharing information may be fruitful for all.

Do check, however, because some places require the school to pay for any medical assessments recommended by the teacher. Districts have been known to caution teachers about making suggestions. Yes, you are private, but still you need to know the requirements on the school.

You might try enlarged print for reading--got any big books? Perhaps a marker and small white board on his desk would be less intimidating than lined paper? I'm wondering about his short term memory if /s/ /o/ /b/ turns into golf. Does he understand that blending sounds helps figure out the story? Hmmm. could he write each letter as he makes each sound? I wouldn't try that during story reading since we always hope that reading creates ideas/stories for the child and that would definitely interrupt the flow.

Do you do a book walk together before he reads, exploring the pictures, repeating some of sentence patterns he'll encounter, perhaps pointing to a word of two that appears often and saying them together while he looks at them?

I explain to parents that beginning readers match the print to the words we've planted in their heads and much later on in learning to read the print creates the words and ideas in their heads.

I'm guessing that his parents figure the smaller class size and tuition will help overcome the difficulties he had in public school. You likely will end up being one in a line of people who will gradually help them understand and cope with the child that he is. Get some medical people to help with this.

This is a difficult situation for you. You have first grade requirements and curriculum to teach, you have your own expectations of yourself as a teacher and person. It's back to the old motto of take them from where they are as far as they can go. Start with what he CAN do and help him move along. I'm sure you are balancing not asking enough of him with asking too much of him.

Lastly, you might find some insight in this book which I read long ago while working as a speech pathologist. It allows a look into the family and the differences that can arise between professional and family member. It's called A Difference in the Family by Helen Featherstone and used copies are available through Amazon and elsewhere. Older books are not necessarily out of touch.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote