Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

ARC Curriculum

>

MissTeri

ARC Curriculum
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're considering the ARC Curriculum for next year. We have some questions that I just can't seem to find the answer to on their website. If you're doing or have done this curriculum, please let me know the answers or any advice/reviews you have:

1. What is the spelling component? Are there spelling tests?

2. Kindergarten curriculum -- does the focus on sight words affect kids not knowing phonics well?

3. Do you get all of the books discussed in the lessons with the purchase of the curriculum?

MissTeri is offline   Reply With Quote

mudbug

ARC Curriculum
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! You read my mind! Louisiana Department of Education is in the process of reviewing/approving this very program. I haven't heard much about it either and am just as curious as you. I actually signed up to gain access to their materials (other than what you can see on the website, which wasn't very enlightening). I did read somewhere that Engage NY is involved and they recommend that you teach the program for 3 hours daily. On my Easter break, I plan to dig deeper and see what I can figure out. Honestly, it seems very involved. I've glanced through some of the phonics materials (I think it was) and they showed some "letters" that are written to the first graders by some imaginary old lady telling them about when she was in first grade. The letters were long, weird, and archaic in my opinion and I've been teaching for 26 years !
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTeri

Old 03-25-2018, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Engage NY is involved in the ARC curriculum? Because the language arts version of Engage NY is the second option we’re considering.
MissTeri is offline   Reply With Quote