First day online subbing

>

nanan333000

nanan333000

First day online subbing
Old 09-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My experience:

Extremely tiring, exhausting the kids don't like it.
The Zoom was difficult manage because we had to show the slides and allow late kids and manage the discussion...etc.

bodhimom

Old 09-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I thought that would happen. On t.v. I see a "student" totally engaged with the screen and taking notes 100 mph and I think, "yeah, right."
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote
nomoresub202

nomoresub202

I am not subbing this year
Old 09-02-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, it was very tiring. I don't know if all this stress is worth it.

The students lacked enthusiasm, the aides were as usual, it was tough, I'm done.

Tapdancesub

Old 09-02-2020, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím covering an aid who does small group pull outs. So far so good but I canít imagine a whole class. When she returns at the end of the month, if we are still virtual-Iím done.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 09-03-2020, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district is just starting training subs today, 4th week into year. So I haven't had the experience of joy at seeing all those little Zoom faces looking or hiding from me.

I imagine the teachers are feeling like you describe.

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote
Sz

Sz

Old 09-03-2020, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What about the long term sub option ....when does training start for that ? How does it affect unemployment ?

Sirsubalot

Old 09-03-2020, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am exhausted and I haven't even started yet.

Tomorrow I begin in a moderate to severe special ed high school class for a half day.

The method of getting started is very convoluted.

I am typing this again because I wasn't signed it AHHGH!

We can no longer view district e- mails directly from our personal inbox when we first log on . We now need to communicate solely through our new district e-mail addresses.

First we need to go to the district website and wait for it to load. Then we need to click on " Staff", then click on Webex office 365, and then click on an icon to get our district inbox.

We then need to open up the e-mail from an administrator that invites us to join the classroom.
From this e-mail, we click on the "join" button, which takes us to a page to open up our google account.

Once we have opened up our google account, we are supposed to click on another " join" icon in the upper corner of our screen. We then enter a classroom code which is supposed to get us access to our classroom for the day.

My google account did not give me permission to access the class, so I was told to open up a new google account. So I created a business google account, and could still not get permission to enter the classroom.

The administrator then asked if I created the google account using my district e-mail.

I am not sure what this means, but I responded after hours, and stated that I was logged on to the district site when I created my new google account.

I hope someone at the school can help me with this tomorrow.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The people doing our training even had trouble with it. I admire you for trying.

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I want to encourage people to keep posting their sub experiences for the rest of us, please!

Sirsubalot

Old 09-04-2020, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I learned this morning that we are supposed to use our district e-mail address on google classroom, and create a different password for the same e-mail address.

I did not think this was possible. I thought that all google addresses ended with "gmail", but today I learned otherwise.

This is why I could not join the pseudo classroom during the training session to practice.

How did all the other subs know to have your district e-mail double as your google classroom e-mail?

I was never notified of this. Did all the other subs just somehow know how to do this without being told?
Either they forgot to tell me, or I lack common sense that the other subs have.

I do not think today prepared me much for future assignments because the teacher kept it simple, and there were two online aides with only four students.

I still managed to mess it up. After talking to the teacher online, I signed out to find the roster, and then logged back into the meeting after lunch break.

There I was in the classroom staring at my cute face, with all the proper icons, but no one signed in. Why was everyone five minutes late?

I called the administrator and learned that everyone but me was at the meeting on time. I somehow clicked on the wrong link and ended up in the twilight zone staring at myself in class all alone.

I went back and clicked on the right link and got it straightened out, but i was 15 minutes late.

This online stuff is not for the computer challenged, but I must somehow prevail for future classes which will offer far less leeway.

I still don't know how to take roll without leaving the class since the roster is on a different link.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote