Substitute Teachers

Returning subs

>

Subz

Subz

Returning subs
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Subs which option did you select for returning and why? Do you regret your decision? How will your unemployment be affected?

Fractured

Old 09-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím doing virtual only, but no schools in my area are going back in person until at least Nov, and Iím sure that will get pushed to January.

Only one of the districts I work for is training us or giving us an option to virtually sub. Iím just jumping though the hoops to keep my UI going.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 09-03-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am going in school since two weeks but risky also .
Two schools they had to close as per cases more .

But jobs are plenty if you want to work .

my two school dists are open for in school .
Few student grps coming each day (one Dist planing to increase to two days in school per student from a week after )

I pray lot and going through each day out of income need .

But schools told same teacher same time doing in class and online .
So kind of always careful thinking someone seeing me too in class .

I mean careful than last year
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been praying a lot too. Both of my school districts are still planning on hybrid/in person schedule. But, many districts around me have been reverting to all remote last minute. My unemployment runs out mid September (I imagine most of us collecting since March are facing the same problem). Therefore, I pray that this long term in person position works out. If all goes well, I will start work right when my UI runs out. Otherwise I am screwed!
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Subz

Subz

Old 09-03-2020, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

But how does completing the training to start after January differ from taking the long term sub option with no specific training date....which is better for UI ???..l think we can receive it until December unless they extend it again after the meeting in October

CC96

The cares act
Old 09-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Extends the unemployment for an additional 13 weeks once your normal unemployment claim runs out.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-03-2020, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ok. I just don't know if I am already using "Cares Act" weeks or not. So far my unemployment was already extended twice. Both times I had to fight like hell to get it extended, nothing was automatic. Something tells me that once this last amount is used up, I am on my own. At least my wife is working, but without my supplemental income, it can get very tight. But hoping for the best. One of my districts starts next Wed and the other the following Monday. At this point it will significantly screw over a lot of people (including working parents) if they make any sudden changes this close to school starting.

jakeh

Old 09-03-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Extends the unemployment for an additional 13 weeks once your normal unemployment claim runs out.
Does it extend automatically? Mine runs out in two weeks.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-03-2020, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our sub coordinator told us at our training this week that she was notifying EDD that jobs are available on Aesop. This is to discourage us from continuing our claims.

I only have two weeks left. I have been offered five days of work on aesop that I did not accept. I start tomorrow for a half day.

I do not want to accept any more jobs until I know I can handle this confusing online work.

I think it would be difficult to extend my claim under these conditions.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-04-2020, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm back working as much as I can praying that I won't catch covid 19.

When Gov Wolf (PA) closed down the schools I lost about 40% of my income. Luckily I have and evening/weekend job that I was able to work 40 hours plus for the last 6 months, this helped out considerably as I was not able to receive unemployment due to making too much at the evening/weekend job.

Three of my districts aren't going back until September 8th. One is using building subs exclusively until 2021. Two are back in session with a modified schedule; group A is in person M & T and online W, Th, F while group B is in person Th & F and online M, T, W.

Until I find a non-teaching, non-covid help job I guess I will continue to work two jobs. I'm applying for other jobs as they come up, but so far nothing.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There has only been one job show up on aesop for me, and it was taken by the time I checked on the computer. I wouldn't have taken it, anyway. There haven't been any jobs that have gone unfilled, so maybe that will help with unemployment. I don't know because I can't get ahold of unemployment and I don't think the district really knows. I don't ask the district anything, and they haven't mentioned it.

I think that we should contact unemployment. It is in their best interest to imply that we can't get unemployment because there are jobs on aesop, but I don't know if that is true because this is a different job. I hate the unknown. I wish we could get ahold of edd and find out, for sure.

I'd also like to know, like someone else said, if the extension is automatic.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-04-2020, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Just before the first day of in-person classes, I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of jobs show up. There are a lot less subs than usual this year, and demand for subs will be high. As long as you are "offered employment" meaning jobs are available to you, do not count on unemployment continuing. At least here in NJ, we are required to answer the question "Did You Turn Down Any Job Offers This Week" every week when certifying for benefits. Therefore if we ignore an Aesop job for THAT particular week, we are technically declining a job offer and it could affect unemployment. Would unemployment find out about it? Well, they easily could if they do simple research to see if the school district you work for reopened.

UI will not carry you forever and it is not something to depend on. Sooner or later, virus or no virus, we all have to return to some kind of work (unless you are retired or on DI)

elepen

Old 09-04-2020, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You have to apply for the extended unemployment benefits on the same site youíve been going to. We are still affected by covid-19 one way or other.
Has anyone heard about the supplement checks replacing the $600 and when does that starts
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-04-2020, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The supplemental UI money to replace the $600/week will now be $300 extra per week. I cannot speak for your state, but here in NJ we are waiting for federal approval of back paid $300/week for the first 3 weeks of August. ($900 per unemployed person altogether). It is now estimated we wont see that direct deposit until October sometime. NJ hasn't even bothered applying for any further weeks yet, due to the federal delay.

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My understanding is that you can only get the $300 if you are getting more than 100/week in ui.

By the way, I'm not trying to get anything I'm not entitled to, but when we can't get accurate answers to our questions, from the horses mouth (edd), what are we supposed to do? Guess?

NJSubteacher

Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes, thats true. If you are getting less than $100/week in UI, you will not get the $300/week extension. I find it strange that it screws over people who get less miney.

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Wow! WTH! A district out here just announced that it will NOT be open to
100% in-person learning, at all, for the rest of the school year!

Parents will have to choose if they want to do 100% distance learning, or hybrid.

I can see the (possible) benefit of having consistency and the "joy" of knowing, for sure, what will happen in the future, but...

...how can they know what things will happen, later on? Maybe we'll get an effective vaccine? How can they declare this so early in the school year. Weird...

Seems premature, to me.

The district says it can't align their previous plan with the health requirements. They are probably right, but it seems that it could change if there is a vaccine and health requirements change. I think the administration probably just gave up and want to put out a definitive plan for the rest of the year.

Actually, this could be good for subs because my understanding is that classes are 1/2 the size. That would make a huge difference. Makes me feel horrible for the students, though, because I know that distance learning isn't engaging and students are falling farther and farther behind, whether people admit it, or not.

Could be good for us, though, with hybrid. I don't want to sub 100% online, at least until they get the bugs worked out (and not even sure, if then). The district in question isn't my district, though. My district, and county, has its hands full just trying to be able to do HYBRID.

Oops, the district did put in a blurb at the end that said that things could change if the health department's rules change.

Last edited by bodhimom; 09-04-2020 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Typos

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I just called edd (again) to ask about whether 100% distance learning jobs are considered "jobs" for us, since it is really a different job, and there wasn't a way to talk to someone. Just recordings.

I think I have a pretty good defense for it being a different job, especially since I can't even ask them. The district hasn't told me, otherwise, and there aren't any jobs on aesop that haven't been filled.

If I thought I'd be successful at it, I'd do it. I'm bored to death, but I know, at the very least, there will be connection problems, and probably a big mess.

I thought about calling the woman that did our online training (she gave us her card) and see if she could set me up with a teacher that I could watch, for the day, on my own time/dime.

I don't know what to do, except snuggle with my dog.

Last edited by bodhimom; 09-04-2020 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Typos

Sirsubalot

Old 09-04-2020, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

If anyone in California has had any luck getting a live voice over the phone, please share that number with us.

I would like to know if Aesop can find out who and when one is looking for work.

Just because jobs are posted, this does not mean will will see them. They might be gone before we log on to see them. We cannot expect to be staring at Aesop 24/7. Therefore, if an available job is not there when we log on, we cannot be blamed for not taking a job we never saw.

If or when jobs become available constantly, then we can be blamed for not accepting them, since the odds are we will see some eventually on a regular basis. But as long as jobs remain occasional or few in numbers, I do not think we can be accused of turning down work, and do not need to say we turned down work on our re-certification forms.

They probably cannot prove that we saw a job and chose not to accept it.
However, I could be wrong.

Can Aesop administrators, or our district administrators see when we have logged on to look for jobs?

This is an important question that we need to have answered to help us fill out our claims.

Fractured

Old 09-04-2020, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is all just my take on it—When I had an orientation with one of my sub agencies, they were bringing up how to use the non work day feature on Aesop. I remember they showed us a slide of someone’s work month that was full of non work days. The person had tried to claim unemployment and was denied, and had claimed to UI there was no work for her.

If you have your days open and don’t claim jobs, I don’t think they would suspend UI benefits. You are looking for work and not turning down work. If you are going on Aesop and turning down jobs or not picking up when they call, I imagine they would penalize you for that.

They could also argue that you can get subalert to have job notifications, but you might be able to argue that you can’t afford it/district doesn’t pay it.

I doubt districts can see how often you log on, or if they could, it wouldn’t really help them prove you weren’t looking for work. You could just turn on Aesop on one computer and leave it open.

bodhimom

Old 09-04-2020, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I wouldn't go by what a district says. They have a conflict of interest. I certainly don't reject any jobs, and since none have gone unfilled, I'm going to renew my unemployment, or at least try to.

subasaurus

very much on the fence
Old 09-06-2020, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm going back in person, but extremely skeptical.

I'm not confident schools will be able to stay open during this crisis.

If I have to go back on unemployment I'll be in trouble.

I'm already experiencing issues getting paid due to an error where I forgot to turn my VPN off. Now I'm in limbo for receiving UI.

Being a sub is a bad deal at times.

Last edited by subasaurus; 09-06-2020 at 04:34 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-06-2020, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Fractured, you do not seem to understand how UI works (at least here in NJ). IF you are offered work and your school district opens, you CANNOT continue to collect unemployment. Of course the state Labor Dept knows which school districts are opening for in person instruction. If I tried certifying for unemployment AFTER my district opens, I could have criminal charges brought against me. It is a major crime to collect benefits after your job reopens and you are offered work once again. Here in NJ, you have to file for extended Family Leave and PROVE you qualify in order to get benefits under Family Care Act (separate from unemployment). I am not trying to be rude, but be very careful if you plan on certifying for benefits AFTER your district offers you work, whether it be on Aesop or a direct phone call from the district.

Fractured

Old 09-06-2020, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Of course I know how UI works.

I was coming at this from a virtual subbing standpoint. The question was if what if you are not getting jobs fast enough on Aesop/sitting on it all the time. That’s why I brought up subalert and if they are calling you.

It also depends on your state and what they are doing for in person teaching. No one is going back in my state until at least early November. So, if I leave my days open on Aesop and there are 10 or 20 virtual sub jobs and hundreds of subs are fighting for them and I don’t get one of them, I think UI would still have to pay out benefits.

I was in adjudication for the summer and they decided in my favor because there was no guarantee of work when the semester started. If you have hundreds of jobs available a day and claim benefits, that’s obviously a different situation.

If a district won’t provide you with a computer and has jobs available, I think you’d have a case to be eligible for benefits still. It’s going to be a state by state basis.

NJSubteacher

Old 09-06-2020, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I misunderstood. Here in NJ, I do not know of any districts offering subs virtual jobs. Either it is in person or you are unemployed. One of my districts opens this coming week, therefore I doubt I can certify for benefits anymore. However, not sure if I will get any jobs the first 3 days of school (this is where it gets tricky for me when it comes to unemployment).

knelson13

Old 09-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

My district is opening hybrid in the middle of September. Some jobs have come up in Aesop but they are gone faster than I can click on them. There will be no subs used for distance learning. I'm just not sure how this is going to work. If there are fewer jobs (but there were jobs that I couldn't get), what would that mean for Unemployment. I want to do this right. If I say there were jobs (even though I didn't technically decline them), then I am assuming my claim would be closed. If after a few weeks, the cases rise and the district goes all distance, my claim would already have been closed. If it makes any difference, I am starting my extended 13 weeks this week. Has anyone had this experience or do you have any thoughts?
knelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I agree it is a gray area when it comes to unemployment. I would still certify for unemployment until you are actually offered a sub job (either by phone or able to accept a job on Aesop). Seeing a job available, but then someone takes it in seconds means that job was NOT offered to you. However, if you see a job available that no one wants and it sits there for a while (lets say Kindergarten for example), since you are refusing to accept it, but you are easily able to take it, that is considered not accepting a job offer and therefore you technically cannot certify for unemployment anymore. There is a difference between jobs disappearing in seconds vs not taking an offer because you do not WANT that particular job (like Kindergarten).

So far, not one job was offered or shown on my Aesop for this week. Therefore, I can still certify for unemployment until a job shows up AND sits there available for several minutes. Thats the way I see it.

bodhimom

Old 09-06-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

IMHO If a job shows up and is later filled, whatever the time period, *I* wouldn't consider it a job offer, still, because our school is 100% online, and they aren't offering me a comparable job IMHO.

I saw our presenter at training even have problems with it, and she didn't even have students.

I have tried to get ahold of edd to ask about this and there isn't a way, that I have found, to contact an actual live person to ask about this.

By the way, I am applying to teach at an adult school for adults getting their GED. Thought it was worth looking into, anyway.

Sirsubalot

Old 09-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I need to decide if I should try to extend EDD benefits based on what is happening in my three districts.

My largest district has had jobs available, but I was told by the sub tech not to accept them because I have not had virtual training.

Yet I do not qualify for virtual training unless I am notified by a school or the district that a school wants me. There is a 13 day job available today that I am not eligible to accept. This district gives me about 50-60% of my work.

My 2nd district, which generally supplies about 25% of my work, just gave us some brief inferior online training that now qualifies me to accept work. The sub coordinator says she will report to EDD that jobs are available. There is now a bad three day job available at a continuation high school that I did not accept.

My 3rd district, which supplies about 10-15% of my work, e-mailed us to tell us that there would not be too much work available for subs for the time being, and nothing has come up.

School has been in session online since August 11.

I have often picked up jobs over the phone, and if you reject an offered job when they call, or just hang up on them, this will likely be known, and can get your benefits rejected.
So far, I have only gotten calls to accept jobs from my largest district that I was told not to accept, so I think I am safe here with EDD.

How does one renew their claim? Do you need to start over again, or is there a shortcut?

bodhimom

Old 09-06-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Sir

I was wondering that, too. Would this be considered extending edd or doing pau (pandemic assistance)? People on here have said that they are totally different things.

There used to be someone in here that seemed to know everything there is to know about this stuff, but I think she must have left because I haven't seen any posts from her in a long time. She was very helpful.