Help

Substitute Teachers

Week 2 - the week that was

>

SubMan

Week 2 - the week that was
Old 09-12-2020, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Three of my districts pushed back their start dates until September 8. So this week I was in another district than last week. I was supposed to be a building sub. It was never put into Aesop so that should of been a warning to me.

I went on the first day to the school where I was to be the building sub only to be told “that position is not available.” Okay... I was supposed to be in that position. But wait! Don’t go just yet! We are short 8 aides we will pay you sub pay (less than an aide would make) if you agree to do it for two weeks. Okay, I’ve got nothing else.

First two days I’m an aide working with a child new to the district that mom says has an IEP but new district hasn’t seen it. Child turns his back to me and refuses to do anything. I move my chair to the other side, refuses. I hold his pencil out for him, refuses. I help other students, told to go back and help young Mr. Refusal.

Thursday I get a new assignment; art. Teacher will be out for three days. Lesson plan is the same, create self portrait using colored pencils and one sheet of paper. Subs know how this is going to go. 1/4 the class actually does the assignment, the rest talk and waste time. Oh by the way it’s being collected for your first grade kids, should of taken it more seriously.

Then there is the packed schedule and clocks in the school that are off. I have classes arriving early, arriving late, and classes showing up that I don’t teach because the teacher sent the class instead of leading the class and told them the wrong special.

At one point I had a class in the art room, the previous class in the hallway I’m trying to keep an eye on, and a third class on the other side of the hallway confused because they think it’s their art time.

We all know what happens next; principal swaggers in and wants to know what is going on. One class I’m teaching, previous class is on the left, unknown class is on the right. Unknown class should of been at gym.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote