Help

Substitute Teachers

Frustrating *Warning Vent*

>

mommysubs

Frustrating *Warning Vent*
Old 09-10-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Applied to what seems like hundreds of online teaching and tutoring jobs to try and keep my immune compromised child safe and work while homeschooling him in the process. Had an online face to face interview yesterday that seemed to go really well, but guess I was way off the mark. He said I would know by late afternoon today if I got the job and now that it is late evening I guess that's just another big middle finger of rejection. Although I am a certified teacher, with rejection after rejection, it seems the only way I will ever be accepted by a school district is in the capacity of in person sub. I taught summer school online, but that is not good enough. I designed my own online escape rooms and fielded student, parent, and coworker questions sometimes until midnight, but that is not good enough. Nothing ever seems good enough. Once a sub, always a sub, I guess. Honestly, I would rather work part-time at Target in between homeschooling full time, but the joke of it is they probably wouldn't want me either. I have applied to retail jobs in the past and been rejected due to "lack of retail experience". Feel like I am wedged in between a rock and a hard place that I just can't get out of.

Anyone else feel this way?

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 09-10-2020, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is not you. Don't feel bad. The job market for ALL kinds of jobs is terrible right now. Even those like you trying their hardest to get something are being rejected in all fields. Keep your head up and never give up. Just try and try again.

I am worried myself. Both my districts are IN PERSON, but still no sub jobs after they told us we would probably get work every day at orientation. Frusterating is an understatement.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 09-11-2020, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is incredibly frustrating! I hope you will start seeing some jobs soon. Here, the district has already plugged me into in person jobs starting the first day even though I expressed my intentions to not come back in person. Many teachers are opting to take the year being safe at home collecting a salary while a sub goes in to teach the class at minimum wage. If it weren't for my son being so susceptible, I may go in and risk it. The district had two cases before closing down in March. It's too great a risk. He has been hospitalized for pneumonia both years he has been in school. I think Target would be cleaner. I don't even know.

subasaurus

Ugh.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This era stinks for teachers.

The liability of teaching is through the roof now too.

Maybe apply to hospitals for secreterial style work.

Or do it the old fashion way and drive around looking for help wanted signs in front of retail establishments (if they still do that sort of thing.)

Maybe you'll find a mellow gig like a gift or craft shop, or something like that.

The job market is bizarre and volatile. Know you're not alone dealing with all this madness. I agree with NJ sub.

Last edited by subasaurus; 09-11-2020 at 11:48 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-12-2020, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know Amazon was hiring people with no experience for their warehouse. I know that’s different than Target, but I imagine they might be in need at places like that, Walmart and large grocery chains.

I think in an interview, and even a resume, you can embellish about how teaching is similar to a customer service job. You aren’t handling cash or selling product, but you’re selling yourself most of the time in order to get a good reputation.

You deal with teachers, students, admin and even parents all day. You have to be adaptable and think on the fly and be a self starter. You are dealing with upset people all the time and have to keep your cool. I think it’s similar to a retail environment in a lot of ways.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Thank you
Old 09-12-2020, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you all for your feedback. Yes maybe a warehouse position would be good. Maybe I could do that by night and teach my kids by day. I will also use that amazing strategy when applying to retail positions! Thank you! I did get hired on for a small part time online teaching gig on Friday afternoon. Not sure if it will pay much though so I will still need to supplement with the retail or warehouse to pay the bills. I will keep trying. Thank you. <3

luvtulearn

Old 09-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Costco in so cal is hiring. I see signs and advertisements everywhere. Anywhere from 20-60 per warehouse .
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 09-13-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Costco is consistently ranked as a good place to work - hourly rate is higher than other stores, give benefits, and suppose to treat their workers well. The workers always seem happy to work there. We have always had good service. Once, when we were in the parking lot with our baby (at the time), a Costco employee came over and offered to load our car. And this was with my husband there. So very nice!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Sounds nice!
Old 09-13-2020, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have one Costco in the city about 45 minutes from me. If only it was in another location. Riots have been going on in that city for over a week now. Last night until 2 am the rioters and police had a 5 hour stand off. It is a crazy place right now...

bodhimom

Old 09-13-2020, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It bothers me that people with college degrees are having to take jobs at grocery stores, clocking in and out.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote