Has anyone gotten UI after their districts posted sub jobs? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Has anyone gotten UI after their districts posted sub jobs?

>

Fractured

Has anyone gotten UI after their districts posted sub jobs?
Old 09-17-2020, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First, Iím not trying to avoid work or commit fraud with UI. Iím wondering about subs who work in districts that are offering virtual subbing. If you have had jobs canceled or there arenít jobs available, have you successfully claimed UI and been paid out?

Only one district I am in has given us this opportunity. The training was long and subs feel unprepared, so some arenít taking jobs and others are having their jobs removed if they are a week or two out. Some teachers arenít even aware we have been made available. You also need a new computer to be able to keep up with the virtual software the district decided to use. A lot of the subs still need to complete the training to have access to Aesop. In short, it seems like a mess.

I am also wondering about subs in multiple districts who are claiming UI still and have districts that are offering jobs and some that are not. Iím trying to see if UI is putting you into adjudication or denying your claim.

I feel like we were given some paid training and are being fed a story to keep us around waiting for jobs that wonít ever happen. If you didnít do the training you got dropped from the pool, and you have to be selected for an interview and pass it to get into this district. While thatís not hard, I donít want to have to go through that again next year.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-17-2020, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My future of EDD claim is yet to be determined, but I am envious of those who have not been offered work. One of my three districts has started to offer work.

My largest district will not permit me to accept jobs because I have not had the training, and they will not train subs who have not been selected by a school. Therefore, although jobs do appear once and a while, I have an alibi since I am not allowed to accept them.

My smallest district said they probably will not need us for awhile, and nothing has been available.

My middle district gave us very scant training for 90 minutes where I learned very little, but I have been allowed to accept jobs since September 2. I only accept special ed jobs where there is an aide to help out online, because I am not yet comfortable. I have been offered work five days in a row, and I am scheduled for three more jobs over the next three weeks. Unfortunately, I have already turned down two assignments totaling five days, as well as an assignment for today.

I earn $362 per week from EDD, but I have already earned $375 this week.

The question that I need answered is " How much money earned disqualifies me from getting an extension?
EDD provided a link for an extension with the $300 stimulus, but I am afraid I am earning too much to be granted an extension. I am also afraid I will not get the retroactive $300 per week, if I am not granted an extension.

Our sub coordinator warned us about not taking that are offered.

I am damned if I do and damned if i don't, which is why those who have not yet been offered jobs are the fortunate ones who will have much more money at the end of the year.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 09-18-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-17-2020, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think most states are paying the 300 retroactively from aug 1 through sept 5th since it was supposed to cover for the expired cares act. I wouldnít take my word on that, but that is what my state is doing. There has been confusion for states get to the money out as they couldnít dispense it as normal UI benefits.

The cares act guaranteed you 13 weeks extension beyond your initial stateís claim amount. I would try to call them if you can get through. Hope they give it to you.

northcalsub

Sirsubalot...et al
Old 09-17-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As I see it and as you all know. Jobs are offered but do you every minute of the day check for them. I took 3 jobs this week. I did not take any jobs last week.I did not ever see one when I checked the system. The phone rang but I did not pic up. UI asks did you refuse any work, well technically no. I did not answer the phone and none were on the computer. I don't think that is dishonest. There are jobs,but maybe they were for grades I don't feel I can do online effectively. I don't feel comfortable at the technical skill I am at to take on high school. We are part time workers. I got paid for a week I did not work for and the week I worked 3 days I got $20.00 for that week.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 09-17-2020, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Norcal, I don't think we have anything to worry about. I really don't. Very worst we'll have to pay back the money. People aren't bugging our phones and computers. They might call hr at our districts, but with all the ambiguity they can't blame us for being confused. We can't even call them. I would never ask a district, anything. They don't know about edd. It is paid by the state, and they have a conflicted interest.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Nobody can say that our job is even close to being what it was because of covid. The edd is because of covid. Bottom line, in my book.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-18-2020, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Today another scenario came to pass.

I got a text message at 8:40 AM this morning from my sub coordinator saying she desperately needed coverage for a Special Ed class today. I agreed to take the job, but when I arrived at the school, it was determined that the job did not really exist.

The school secretary notified our sub coordinator, and she told me the coordinator agreed to pay me for the day, even though I just went home.

I just noticed the job was a pre-Kindergarten SDC class, that was changed to a" Human Resources" job in Aesop so that I could get paid. I do not know why this job was put in the system.

I am glad to get a free day of pay, but I am concerned that our sub coordinator chose to circumvent AESOP and contact me directly. She would have had direct evidence that I turned down a job had I not taken it, and she had already told us she was contacting EDD about available jobs.

I now have the unfortunate knowledge that if an undesirable job is not picked up, she will contact us directly, so we either need to take it, or get reported to EDD that we turned down a job.

This is an unfortunate development.

Aillya

Old 09-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I feel like we were given some paid training and are being fed a story to keep us around waiting for jobs that wonít ever happen.
This is how I feel as well. I've certified for so many back-weeks and filled out all the stupid EDD forms for the past 3 months and I have nothing to show for it. Meanwhile, my district offers almost nothing in terms of work, definitely not enough to live on, and unemployment beats it out easily, yet HR keeps calling me about training that I've already done, like there's a job for me to go do.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

They made us do hours of training for platforms we are not even going to be allowed access to have. So now teachers are saying it is easier for them to just make everything recorded for the day or teach sick. I am thinking the district just wants to push out subs for this year and is doing everything they can to just make us quit

I guess Iíll find out by Monday or Tuesday if I get UI this week.

I might just drop this district so I can still collect Ui. What a load of bs.

Aillya

Old 09-18-2020, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
They made us do hours of training for platforms we are not even going to be allowed access to have. So now teachers are saying it is easier for them to just make everything recorded for the day or teach sick. I am thinking the district just wants to push out subs for this year and is doing everything they can to just make us quit

I guess I’ll find out by Monday or Tuesday if I get UI this week.

I might just drop this district so I can still collect Ui. What a load of bs.
My district had a long term assignment come up recently, but no actual information was posted about it beyond that. Like... NOBODY would accept this over the phone, it's basically asking to be taken advantage of for six weeks. Just being real there. Literally "we have a teacher out for six weeks" and that's it, that's all you know. And of course if you lock in and it turns out the assignment's terrible so you back out, then you're the bad guy and you risk getting blacklisted by a district. Long term assignments are already notoriously bad, but right now? With no additional info about what their teacher left in terms of plans, if anything? With no notes about how the distance learning would be managed? Didn't even know what subject level it was. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they just put it out there so rational people could walk away from it and be seen as declining work. I'm sure that's not the case, but it sure feels like it sometimes. There are these sporadic and unpredictable bursts of work. My phone will go three weeks without ringing, and then suddenly a "first through third grade" long term job calls with no other info besides that, and it just feels like a load of BS honestly.

At this point, I'm just cutting my losses. I have money saved, thanks almost entirely to the CARES act, which left me in a better financial position in June than five years of subbing ever did, and my living situation makes it not-ideal to be going out anyway (roommates are at-risk category). I'm going to keep certifying and just be honest and up front about my situation, since I don't think any reasonable person could consider this "employed." Nobody in their right mind would pick up a phone and just say yes to being liable for something they barely understand, and then being on the hook for it for up to six weeks (but maybe less if they cut it to screw you out of longterm pay like they love to do, making even the compensation questionable). I don't know why the situation should be different for subs.

Fractured

Old 09-18-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do you go into adjudication if the school denied your claim? It already happened to me, but it was because of the summer date. I won, but Iíll have to wait months to actually have my case heard.

Sirsubalot

Old 09-19-2020, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I get $362 without the subsidy, yet this week I earned $525 that I must report for my last claim week.
Week two is X'd out since my claim ends September 20.

Will I be denied an extension since only on my very last week did my income exceed my weekly claim? My claim balance is $128, which I will obviously not get this week.

I currently have four days lined up through October 8, with nothing beyond this as of yet.

This week of $525 is likely an anomaly. I hope I can convince EDD of this, but speaking to someone directly does not seem likely.

bodhimom

Old 09-21-2020, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm in California. Mu unemployment ran out and I didn't see anything about an extension. I'm hoping it's because the edd in California is shut down for 2 weeks. Maybe because I don't get the $300.

Aillya

Old 09-22-2020, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Okay, I'm an idiot. On the main unemployment site, there was nothing about getting anything, but on the actual edd bank site, I had a bunch just sitting in there from the weeks I applied for. Was able to breathe a big sigh of relief today. Here's hoping this doesn't bite me in the ass later somehow. California btw

Last edited by Aillya; 09-22-2020 at 05:51 AM..

bodhimom

Old 09-22-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Confusion is the norm, these days, for all of us.

Fractured

Old 09-22-2020, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I got approved for my claim. I think this will be a week by week waiting game.

mrsd5

Yes
Old 09-22-2020, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have worked once. Iím off this week because my grandkidsí daycare provider lost her husband on Sunday, and is closed indefinitely. And now I may be self quarantining for two weeks, because DIL was exposed at work (hospital nurse). Iím not watching the grandkids now, but I am waiting to take jobs until she and 9 year old granddaughter get their results. There have been 3 jobs on Aesop for two days with no takers. I just say Iím unavailable. I will have to claim my one day subbing when I recertify. But they will take that out of my check. I will still get the federal money. This is in Illinois.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote