Help

Substitute Teachers

No jobs

>

CC96

No jobs
Old 09-17-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sadly, as I anticipated, my main district just declared that there will be no sub jobs other than for the small group that has been preselected due to good technology skills for the rest of us until after the Christmas break and then that will even depend on the Covid numbers. I anticipate very few if any jobs this year. All in person professional development for teachers has been canceled for this year. Therefore no subs will be needed for those type of jobs, which made up 99.9% of my jobs.😢

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-17-2020, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you do not go back to work until January 2021, then I am envious of you. You will make more money from EDD with the extension.

If you are out of work all year, then it does become more problematic.

The best scenario is no job offers for the rest of 2020, and then back to normal after New Years.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 09-18-2020, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The above poster is probably right, and at least your district was straight with you. Mine doles out like 2 jobs a month and then probably tells the unemployment agency that jobs are available which is why I can't collect anymore.
A damn joke, honestly.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Yes...
Old 09-18-2020, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am generally appreciative of this particular district, as they usually treat us pretty well. I am just really hoping that things go back to normal within the next year and I can go back to picking and choosing the jobs that I want and working at least three days a week. I am thankful that I have unemployment still.

OCsubinCA

EDDs are not the same?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I guess each state’s EDD does things differently?? Here in California, if your work has been decreased due to the pandemic you can still collect unemployment. So if a district is just offering a couple jobs a month - no worries - a reduction in hours still allows someone to collect UI. They state this very clearly on their website. In other states a district can just offer a job here and a job there and that disqualifies someone?? ....Hmm.

OCsubinCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 09-18-2020, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I guess each state’s EDD does things differently?? Here in California, if your work has been decreased due to the pandemic you can still collect unemployment. So if a district is just offering a couple jobs a month - no worries - a reduction in hours still allows someone to collect UI. They state this very clearly on their website. In other states a district can just offer a job here and a job there and that disqualifies someone?? ....Hmm.
That's very strange, because I'm in California and have been filing and haven't gotten anything since June. Guess I'll give them a call and pray someone answers.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 09-19-2020, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is true, but if it is for reduced hours, you can't do it all online. My ui will run out next week. I'm going to extend, if given the opportunity.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 09-19-2020, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I'm going to extend, if given the opportunity.
How do I extend?? I see nothing on the UI page. Please post a link or tell me how to get there.
Thanks.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Email
Old 09-19-2020, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They extended mine automatically. I didn’t have to do anything— a new balance just showed up under my balance amount. After that, they sent me an email and I had to answer one or two questions about my unemployment situation. I am still waiting to receive money related to the three hundred a week from the Feds. I have to recertify again tomorrow, which is kind of strange because it’s only been one week since I recertified last time. So maybe with the additional 13 weeks you have to recertify every week, I don’t know. I guess I will find out.

bodhimom

Old 09-19-2020, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm just going by what I've learned here. They have said that your balance has to go to zero and then you can extend. Right now my balance is about $50. I'll let you guys know what happens.

knelson13

Old 09-20-2020, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My balance got down to $6. I was only able to collect $6 that week. The next week there was the option of applying for the 13 week extension. Our schools went back hybrid last week with a lot of in person jobs available. I am choosing not to go back to the classroom just yet so I guess I will have to close my account until/if they go ful distance because we don't have subs for distance learning.
knelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

The latest...
Old 09-20-2020, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

OK, just keeping you guys up-to-date as a way of giving information. EDD California—when my UI balance got down to what I think was about $30 or so, they emailed me and said that they automatically applied for the 13 week extension for me and sent me an email to ask a couple questions related to the federal $300 a week money. I had to certify the next week (within a one-week timeframe as opposed to the normal two week timeframe) to claim my first payment from the 13 week allotment. I also just received notification from my bank that the first $300 federal payment dating back to August 1st is on its way to my bank account. I am in two districts— one has said there will be no jobs until January and possibly later, the other district is currently online only and going to hybrid in a couple of weeks and I’m not sure if I will be able to take jobs there because of their new schedule. So hopefully this information is helpful to you guys in California. I am thanking Jesus everyday for taking care of me and am praying that He will care for all of us during these difficult times.

Sirsubalot

Old 09-20-2020, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a balance of $128, but since I earned $525 this week, which is also my last week, I am expecting nothing else. I doubt I will get $300 a week dating back to August .

I hope I am wrong, but all I expect to get is the final $128 if I ever go a week without earning that much again.

Uke

Re: no jobs
Old 09-23-2020, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm sorry you haven't had any jobs and the prospect for the future does not look good. I am fortunate that my husband is able to support us. I know it's quite different for some subs. Our orientation teacher was straight with us that they had no idea how many subs they would need and jobs might be hard to come by. I did receive a request to sub a five-day job, but I didn't feel ready yet so I turned it down. Hopefully there will be more requests. They paid us for training, which I think was great Working on setting up an at-home area from which to sub, although some schools will want us to come in to sub in an empty classroom. Either way would work. Probably best to be at school with technical support available, though. Good luck to all of you!
-Uke
Uke is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 09-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Uke, I admire your confidence.

Sirsubalot

Old 09-27-2020, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If others have gotten the 13 week extension in CA automatically. This is likely because no work has been available for you. Good for you!

Since I earned $630 dollars over three weeks, which is less than one third of what I would have earned in a normal three week cycle, I am probably disqualified from getting an extension. DARN!

bodhimom

Old 09-27-2020, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My understanding is that you can still get ui if your pay has been reduced, but you can't do it, online.