Help

Substitute Teachers

Ugh...another vent...

>

mommysubs

Ugh...another vent...
Old 10-04-2020, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So against my own volition I am doing per diem sub work in a new (for me) district near my home. Praying that wearing two masks, (cloth and surgical), keeping my distance from students, keeping my hands clean and away from my face, showering immediately upon arrival at home, and only taking secondary jobs twice a week will keep me from bringing anything home to my child who is medically fragile.

In the process I am also homeschooling my children full time and teaching kids all over the country part time online. I have yet to see a paycheck from the online gig, (which started 9/23), and it most likely won't be enough on its own which is why I must go back into this high risk scenario again.

Just started with two half days last week and this week will be my first two full days. I had foot surgery last week and clearly had trouble walking, but it didn't stop the school from stuffing me into all manner of classrooms across the building and up flights of stairs when the teacher I was in for typically had a free moment. So glad to be part of another "caring" district...

Last edited by mommysubs; 10-04-2020 at 04:14 PM..
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 10-04-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are a go getter. Wow. Lots of energy. I feel for you - for sloppy treatment school shows you. It is tough, and harder yet to walk away from a job you need.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 10-07-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are one of the unsung heroes of this pandemic. I salute your dedication!
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Thank you
Old 10-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both for your kind words...they mean the world to me right now! Full day tomorrow for me at the MS and have all homeschool materials out and organized for my husband to go through with our kids tomorrow. Finished grading assignments from my online students tonight. So far I have 37 but that number could grow. First check from online job this week was able to cover my car payment for the month. I'm calling that a win!

jazzer

Old 10-08-2020, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Who are you doing online teaching for? I have been teaching online English for a couple of years, but I donít make enough money for it to be my only job.

I am a semi retired band, music and theatre teacher who is working as a teaching assistant for a retirement job. I am currently teaching online as our school is 100 percent remote and I love it. I know though that someday we will go in person. I love working from home and would love to do that for the rest of my working life even without Covid. I would be interested in any opportunity that pays decently.

You are doing a great job juggling things and making money for your family.

jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 10-09-2020, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Jazzer,

Congratulations on your retirement after many years of service. I am glad you have a remote opportunity with your district! I wish schools here had those opportunities but it is only in person for subs and aides. I work for an online secondary school and work with kids all over the country. I would do it exclusively if I could, but it's only part time and doesn't pay enough to cover all the bills so I have to go into the schools still here and there as a sub and hope the precautions I am taking are enough to keep my family safe. My husband works from home and covers as the homeschool teacher when I must sub. So grateful that we can make that work.

bodhimom

Old 10-10-2020, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm jealous of you guys that are comfortable enough with computers to do the 100% distance learning. Wish I felt that confident. ...and I've had the training!
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote