Help

Substitute Teachers

Tutor or Sub

>

knelson13

Tutor or Sub
Old 10-27-2020, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am 60 and in good health but I'm being very cautious of Covid. I found a family to tutor distance learning and they seemed very happy with my help. I have been working for them for 6 weeks. After our initial meeting, I did request that their 2 girls wear masks while tutoring (and I would do the same) since we were much less than 6 feet apart. It turned out that the family was not really following Covid Safety protocol as much as I thought. They attended large indoor events with no masks and didn't like wearing masks while I was there (but the girls did wear them). After one very large event that they attended in WI (which was a huge hotspot), I said I would be more comfortable taking a week off. Long story short, we weren't on the same Covid page so they want to take a break until after the holidays. I almost feel like I was fired although I know it's what's best.
At this point our elementary schools are hybrid with the secondary being all distance. No subs for secondary. How safe do those of you feel that are subbing right now? I don't know if it would be hard to jump in at this point or if I should just step back until this all gets better?

knelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 10-27-2020, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've decided not to sub this year due to covid. I'm just not willing to risk it.
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Risk comfort level
Old 10-27-2020, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think answers will vary greatly depending on what's going on in the local communities and what health considerations everyone has. I am fairly young and healthy. Cases are going up here, but hospitalizations aren't much. The odds are on my side that I would have an asymptomatic or mild case if I did get it. Plus I really feel that I'll likely get it anyway at some point before vaccines are available- IF I would even choose to get a brand new vaccine with lots of unknowns. But I think my school is doing everything it reasonably can to keep us healthy. In fact, this is the first year I can remember that I haven't gotten a cold/sinus infection by this point in the year.

We have lost many older subs here. Also some younger subs and regular teachers with health or family concerns. Some retired early and some work remotely (not subs).

I have to look at my individual risk and decide what I'm ok with... remembering that I do exactly that every time I walk out my front door.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-27-2020, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have 2 hybrid sub jobs lined up, though I haven't actually done one, yet. I'm not worried. I'm actually excited to get back, I'm excited the students are getting some face-to-face, and really excited to have just 1/2 the students. Also, I don't get the extra $300/week, though I am on the extension.

It has to be better than watching this world series game.

Last edited by bodhimom; 10-27-2020 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: World series
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

ChessandCheck

no
Old 10-27-2020, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i don't feel safe at all. i saw too much in my district to believe going back with the addition of covid can be safe, particularly for a sub.

i am weirdly grateful that my long-term health took a significant downturn in the last month (chronic condition). i couldn't sub right now if i wanted, which is freeing. i am fortunate that my life is enforcing the choice i wanted to make and believe is right. i didn't want to risk myself, my kids, my mother, or the students i would be seeing. now i don't have to feel torn about it.

ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 10-28-2020, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I donít feel comfortable subbing right now high risk 72 and respiratory issues( slight asthma, chronic bronchitis)even though Iím pretty healthy so far.
I was lucky to get an unemployment extension so good for now. I donít see myself going back this year but only time will tell. There is a critical sub shortage and theyíre offering $25 more a day for the school year
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

knelson13

Old 10-29-2020, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I guess we all have our comfort zones. I'm in the Midwest which is not doing well right now plus with the holidays coming up, that won't help. I'm just truly going to miss working with the kids but I think I may just take this year off and hope that next year is somewhat better.
knelson13 is offline   Reply With Quote