Substitute Teachers

No plans left, no log ins

>

subasaurus

No plans left, no log ins
Old 10-20-2020, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Subbing rant. Day from hell.

Was left no plans of any kind the other day.

Haven't had that happen in a long time.

It's a lot worse to be left no plans during this era of remote learning.

There's obviously no way to enter Zoom meetings without having login credentials for Zoom or the computer itself. I was left with neither, and students were left without remote learning for the morning.

Let's just say yesterday was about as fun as a having a root canal.

Teachers, I beg of you...

Please leave behind computer, Zoom, and/or Google Meet log in information for us. Leaving us instructions on how to use it wouldn't hurt either. I have yet to see one teacher leave these details behind. I've had to ask the kids every time for assistance.

The students shouldn't have to figure out the technology for us. The lazy modern attitude of "the kids will know what to do" honestly is unacceptable.

That lackadaisical way of thinking is quite unhelpful, and devalues the authority of subs. And a lot of the time the students actually DON'T know what to do.

No wonder students disrespect subs so much. We must seem clueless and helpless to them. Even the next door teacher didn't know what to do. Why's it so forbidden to leave subs log in credentials??

And for the love of God, have stuff posted on Google Classroom for students to do in the event of an emergency. Emergencies, like you being unable to leave us plans.

Just a heads up: They're going to play video games and goof off all day if they have nothing to do. Please don't blame us for that.

If this teacher had a major health emergency of some sort of course I'll let this slide. I know these times are unprecedented.

All I know is I was left in a detrimental position having zero back up plans available. It was a waste of a day. And other teachers couldn't help.

Not willing to risk getting banned by using my own curriculum. Been there, done that. Not worth it. Never subbing for this teacher again, unless they have a good excuse.

Praying I didn't get banned due to the lousy day.

Last edited by subasaurus; 10-20-2020 at 10:47 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-21-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am really sorry that you had a terrible day! It sounds like you had kids in person and kids remote?

I wonder what we will do? Right now we don't even get subs. You work it out with your team, or let your families know and cut back work. I carry my computer back and forth because if I get sick or the building is closed for cleaning suddenly, I would need my computer. There is no way I would leave my own credentials for logging in because they are what we use for everything! We don't even have a generic account to log into on our computers like we used to be able to have. But since our creds are how we log into every system, we certainly can't just leave them for anyone else. I don't know what they are going to do-we still have no word on subs after Week 10.

Hope your next day is better and I hope that you left (kind) feedback with the principal. Our principal would take steps to make sure that didn't happen again and fixed whatever problems.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-21-2020, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Exactly why I'm not doing distance learning.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-21-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Really sorry you had such a terrible day. This is my biggest fear. "Everything's on Google classroom, the kids know what to do." Yeah right!
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 10-21-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been generally lucky so far this year.

Sometimes an administrator or the teacher will leave me the google link so I can enter into the classroom meeting the night before and review the plans in advance while at home. Otherwise the Principal will give me the link when I arrive. The link has the students work for the day, or week, or month.

Sometimes the teachers will put the lesson plan on Aesop, but this does not always work because I would need to open Office 2010 which I do not have installed. This happened this morning, so the secretary printed out the plan for me. If they leave a PDF file on Aesop, I can study the plan in advance.

I still do not know some of the basics, especially for WEBEX, but I can still get by. I do not know how to get all students on the screen at once. I am usually limited from five to nine at a time.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 10-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

@Kahula

Thanks.

Didn't bother leaving feedback because they could turn it around and blame me.

As a sub we are expendable and sometimes admin don't want to deal with the "whiners."

We can get banned for little things as subs.

And regarding logins... I don't understand exactly how teachers expect their subs to log into their computers, Google Meet, attendance, etc. without them.

subasaurus

Old 10-21-2020, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

@tapdancesub

Exactly. Your fears are justified!

subasaurus

Old 10-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

@sursubalot

I was lucky too until the other day. Hope it stays that way for you.

subasaurus

Old 10-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

@bodhimom

Wise decision.

sila

Old 10-21-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Very very true .
Not a class list or few lines some teachers give to inform Sub anything of lessons .

Or they assign half time only student work for one half hour period .

I can hear the question .
I am done .
Can I do other class work ?

How can I let them do other class work unless teacher said so and more than that teacher might be seeing also their screen as half students are at home .

Risking covid and going in person .
Do the dist pay the hospital bill ?
Still no care for subs at all in some places .

What I feel is another issue now .
Even the students who work in class are all online .
It is very hard to know each block whether they submit assignment .

I find it hard to look over all computer as social distance issue there also .

At least last year ,even though half class work they did in computer ,sub can see it clearly .

Very very true your post is .

sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We are not allowed to leave log-in credentials. We have to share items with the sub and let them use their own credentials.

Sometimes the kids really DO know what they need to do, and they are just playing dumb. They do their with their parents a lot, too.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-22-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Really sorry you had such a terrible day. This is my biggest fear. "Everything's on Google classroom, the kids know what to do." Yeah right!
Been there, done that, never went back after I heard a first year teacher was complaining about my not being able to log on. The school office issued laptop didn't have her passwords "memorized."
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-22-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Sometimes the kids really DO know what they need to do, and they are just playing dumb. They do their with their parents a lot, too.
It sets the sub up for failure when we don't know what they need to do.

Sub: Everybody needs to log on to Google Classroom and do the assignment your teacher left for you.

Whole class (in unison): We don't know how to do that!

Soon the class is in chaos, the teacher across the hall calls the office, principal stops by, witnesses the chaos, bans substitute at the end of the day.

As compared to.

"The students will log on to Google classroom and complete the math review assigned as today's assignment. I've left a paper copy for you and paper copies for students without their devices. Ask the office to make you additional copies if you need them."

Sub: Everybody needs to log on to Google Classroom and do the assignment your teacher left for you.

Whole class (in unison): We don't know how to do that!

Sub: That's okay, your teacher left this paper copy for you to complete. Put away your device and get out a pencil.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Stevejay

Stevejay

Waiting It Out
Old 10-22-2020, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am slowly looking over all of this online learning stuff. Watching these
videos and completing these online learning trainings is incredibly dull and boring. I belong in several districts. I haven't taken a job yet this year. Subbing is difficult enough with out the mask wearing and distance learning stuff.I will take a job when there are more face to face assignments. I am also looking for other careers. I'd much rather have my own class than going to a new place everyday with all of these new protocols and distance learning platforms. If distance learning and masking is the new normal, then I will do something else. Perhaps
after the results of the election we'll see changes for the better in schools. During normal times, several problems could arise during the day. Now I can imagine how there could be multiple problems with all of
the new changes.

Tapdancesub

Thanks Subman
Old 10-23-2020, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Maybe because i sub mostly elementary, but "the kids know what to do" usually is not the case and the situation devolves into arguments between them about what needs to be done and how to do it. My answer to them is "if there's so much discussion on what /how to accomplish this we'll just do it my way." End of discussion.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
The kids know what to do!
I'm so lucky that most of the teachers in my district don't leave me with stuff like that anymore. When I did get an assignment like that, it makes me wish subbing for a year were a requirement to full-time teach. Even if the kids do know what to do, sometimes they just pretend not to know. You're basically forcing the person covering for you to play the worst game of Poker ever, because now the sub is expected to just bluff and tell students that they know what's expected of them, when even the sub doesn't really know. When I started out, I was placed in that situation so often, and it was always nerve racking. The worst were when technical issues were entrusted to students instead of being explained to me, the working professional who's here an hour early but can't prep because you gated everything behind your students. Scenarios where teachers expected me to log into their computers but didn't leave credentials and insisted that the TA knew how to set everything up. But then, surprise, the TA doesn't know. Or the TA doesn't come in because there's a sub. Or the TA is sick that day, or shows up 20 minutes late to class. Or "have them work on their chromebooks, they know what to do" and then it turns out they "don't know what to do," and now neither do I. Whether they're lying about being clueless or not is moot; either way, we arrive at the same point. And that's my day now, for 7 hours. It sucks. Sorry your day sucked too. The few online jobs I've gotten so far have been so well planned that I wondered why I was even being paid or why I was there at all.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I totally agree with Stevejay. From what I've read in here, teachers don't really go out of their way to help the subs, even when they know where there will probably be problems (logging on, etc.).

I'm glad I have enough experience with schools to see what a nightmare the distance "learning" model would be, at least for me.

I'm looking forward to going back face-to-face, and not until.

With respect to google classroom, however, the students really DO know what to do, and I don't get the I don't know what to do excuse. I actually like it because they really do do it, and quietly.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote
bodhimom
Old 10-23-2020, 01:25 PM
This message has been deleted by bodhimom. Reason: Duplicate

MissESL

Sub No Plan
Old 11-02-2020, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am going to give that teacher the benefit of the doubt and say it must have been quite the emergency. I would have a few tricks up your sleeve just in case of another situation like this. If itís not something youíre comfortable with, like you said above, then you might want to step back from subbing.

We donít all have this figured out and sometimes - a lot of times - itís messy for everyone, without intention. Everyone needs space and grace right now, and if thatís not something you can give, thatís okay.

We do not have any subs. We had one agree to come back. He got sick before we even had school, and he changed his mind. I donít blame him.

We are required to have two weeks of plans made for this reason. We have assigned buddy teachers. That person is on our Classrooms and posts for us in the event we are not able to. In this situation, students would be told there is no meeting, but to do x assignments.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote