Help

Substitute Teachers

Now a long-term sub

>

Nietzsche

Now a long-term sub
Old 11-01-2020, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went from subbing 2-3 days a week in September and the first couple week of October to volunteering for a long-term HS sub job that will be probably be the entire year. I've had to learn Google Classroom and we are going totally online for at least the next two weeks. I'm not sure what I was thinking!

Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 11-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like one of those things that's nerve racking at first, but becomes chill as you settle into it. Are they letting you work online from home, or are they doing the lousy thing where you have to go on campus and sit in an empty room with a district laptop to manage a google classroom and sit under a webcam for 8 straight hours?

In any case, good luck. If they're reasonable and letting you work from home then I'm legit jealous, that sounds nice. Especially if it's a subject you know fairly well. And at the high school level, most of them will just show up and mute themselves. That's been my experience at least. Kinda felt like I was talking to myself at times, but still objectively the easiest money I've ever made -- in the short term sense, at least. I'm sure doing it long term is a different experience. Best of luck.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-03-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At least with long-term you donít have to juggle different school plans day to day. I felt more like a part of the staff as a long-term person. Being long term was even better than when I was an itinerant teacher.

Iím so glad that I did the Google certification a few years ago. Iíve seen so many colleagues scrambling to learn it. They have free classes if you want to brush up on your skills.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 11-04-2020, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm teaching high school. I ran into technical issues the first day totally online. I had issues with audio and video, and tech support came to my rescue. Teachers are online in the school and that allows me to get support when I need it. I'm finally comfortable with Google Classroom, which I had never used before. Being in the school also allows me to coordinate plans with teachers who teach the same subjects. I have two different preps, so it is two different groups of teachers. What has been difficult is we are now at the end of the quarter, and no grades had been entered before I arrived, so I'm playing catch up.

I can't say I really feel like part of the staff. The school is fairly large and spread out. I usually don't see more than a 6-7 other teachers during a typical day.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 11-04-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you. I wish I had the guts to jump in on the computers, like that.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote