Help

Substitute Teachers

FYI California EDD info

>

CC96

FYI California EDD info
Old 09-14-2020, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My regular UI has basically just run out, and I just received the following message from EDD. ďYou are potentially eligible for a pandemic emergency unemployment compensation extension under the cares act of 2020. The PEUC extension provides an additional 13 weeks of UI benefits. If the EDD determines that you are not eligible for a subsequent valid UI claim, then the EDD will automatically file a PEUC extension on your last valid regular UI claim, you should receive a notice by mail within the next 10 to 14 business days continue to certify for benefits as weeks become available.

Hopefully this info is helpful to those of you in California.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

OCsubinCA

I received....
Old 09-14-2020, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that message also. After receiving that, I checked again after a few hours and my claim stated Ďon extensioní. So they did automatically apply the extension. Iím impressed with their timeliness. It was only 24 hours since I had recertified. I was thinking Iíd get that $300 enhancement tacked on to my usual UI amount but it wasnít. Anyway, thatís a relief.
OCsubinCA is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Yes....
Old 09-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also still waiting for some of those $300 payments. I did send them a question regarding when I will get those. I know that I qualify for those payments. No answer yet

Sirsubalot

Old 09-14-2020, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I re-certified for my final two weeks and have heard nothing.

I really hope that the $180 I earned for my final two weeks does not disqualify me from an extension.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 09-14-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

CC96 said:
Quote:
I am also still waiting for some of those $300 payments.
All three showed on my BofA Debit account this am. $900. A little surprised. Always waiting for the shoe to drop and UI dinging me for some of the last 6-months monies.

jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Hopeful
Old 09-14-2020, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you Jakeh your post gives me hope. Just had to pay $450 for my dog at the vet today.😢

Sublime

Old 09-14-2020, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

A week ago I received, out of the blue, one $300 payment dated week of 8/1. I heard in CA we're approved for 3 of those payments. Don't know about after 3.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 09-15-2020, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

FYI I hot a letter in the mail today saying I didn't get the $300/week because I get less than $100/week in Ui. I knew th as t, already. I wonder why they wasted the postage when they coul8have just emailed me.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-15-2020, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I got the letter that told me i didn't qualify for the extra $100 missed it by $2. I haven't recertifited since I have this sub aid job til the end of the month. I am so ticked cause I have $840 sitting there in sick pay.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I wonder
Old 09-15-2020, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I wonder if we can cash in on sick pay that was sitting in our accounts with various districts last year that we did not use. I remember a couple of years ago I actually quit a district and later found out I had a little bit of a chunk of sick pay with them and of course I never got it, and I donít think they would give it to me now. Iím just not sure how all that works. I know when Iíve actually been sick Iíve taken sick pay and the districts have given it to me. My one district is really good about it, the district I just quit the other day made it very difficult to get sick pay.

Sirsubalot

Old 09-15-2020, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had $250 worth of sick pay that was supposed to be submitted by June 19, but I was afraid to submit it because I might need to report it as income to EDD, even though it was from 2019. I should ask the sub coordinator if I can still submit it.

Tonight I was given the option to click " yes" on the link provided by Calif EDD stating I might be eligible for the extra stimulus and extension.

The problem is that although nothing is available from two of my districts, one of my districts is coming through with some jobs.
Tomorrow I will work my 3rd straight day and earn at least $450 this week. if I don't take these jobs, my sub coordinator will rat me out.

If the $300 stimulus is retroactive back to August 1st, and is extended 13 weeks, then these darn jobs might cost me as much as $10,706 in benefits. I might be earning too much this week to get an extension.

Even if I work every day for 13 weeks, I will net only $9750, so at best I will lose $956 by going back to work.
My guess is that if we cannot extend our claims, then we will likely not be eligible for the seven weeks of retroactive stimulus pay from before our claims ended.

If I could at least get the $2100 of retroactive stimulus pay, it would ease the sting of going back to work.

Does anyone know whether or not we are eligible for the retroactive stimulus if we cannot extend our claims?

bodhimom

Old 09-15-2020, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We were told that if we didn't use our sick pay, we lose it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I am pretty sure
Old 09-15-2020, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am pretty sure that we should qualify for the $300 a week dated back to August 1st if we were indeed eligible for UI during those weeks. You canít continue to stay on UI if jobs are available because itís fraud it to not answer truthfully when answering the question ďdid you refuse workď when certifying. There will come a point when either we choose not to accept jobs and thus not receive UI, or we go back to work. I turned down one job, although not directly, but one job was available and I didnít take it. I wrote that on my UI certification and it appears they took my reasons into account. I am not sure if those reasons will be applicable or stand moving forward. I did resign from one of my three districts because I am unable to work within their new ďCovid-19Ē structure and I did not want to have to keep avoiding jobs.

Sirsubalot

Old 09-24-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My claim had only a $128 balance as of last week, as I made $525.

I was pretty excited a few minutes ago to go to my mailbox and find an EDD check.

My enthusiasm was tempered when I discovered it was only $300 that it states was owed me from the week ending August 1st. I got $600 through July 25th.

I was hoping for $300 x 8 for retroactive payment over the last eight weeks.

I suspect this is all I will get.

CC96

$300...
Old 09-24-2020, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

They are not paying all of the $300 payments at once. My first one came and then my second two came. I believe the most weíre probably going to get is three weeks worth. So I would not bank on the rest of it beyond the three weeks at all. At least weíre getting something. I wish I could go back to work full-time because financially I need it, but one of my districts has already told me thereís no jobs until at least January and my other district doesnít seem to really have any jobs yet and when they do Iím not sure I can take them because of the schedule. I really need to work. Yes, I know for now Iím getting EDD, but I am not sure how long that will last if occasional jobs come up and that is not equal to what I would earn working.

Fractured

Old 09-24-2020, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The fed govt guaranteed every state that applied for it would get the full five weeks, and is trying to make sure the sixth comes through as well. They keep pushing back the target date for us and wonít release it in one payment. UI in my state is the worst. We havenít gotten the waiting week they waived either.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Thanks...
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thanks for the hopeful news. I hope that your state gets it together for you soon.

Sirsubalot

Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Well things are getting a little better.

There were two more EDD checks in my mailbox tonight for $300 each, paid through August 15.

I wonder why they did not make out one check for $900?

This is a good start. I should have five more weeks worth if we are supposed to be paid through the end of our claims.

I do not know if we are punished for earning any income during our claim period. If so, I could only be eligible for two more weeks, although for two of the final three weeks my income was much less than my claim amount.

My final claim week exceeded my weekly amount, but this was an unusual week that will likely not be repeated for a long time, especially since the rest of the subs will be trained next week, meaning more competition for jobs.

During normal years, I average about $675 for a full week, with a claim amount of $362.

I started earning September 1st with weekly earnings of $105, $75, $525, and $300 for this week.

How low does my weekly income need to be before I can renew my claim?

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 09-25-2020 at 09:33 PM..