Help

Substitute Teachers

Covid/school???

>

CC96

Covid/school???
Old 10-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So now that in various places across the country, students or at least some students are back in class and teachers are in class are we seeing cases of COVID-19 resulting from those students and teachers being in class? I am very curious. Thanks

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-09-2020, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school is not in session in person, but teachers are working in the building. There have been a few teacher cases at other schools. They were a direct result of teachers not practicing social distancing and wearing masks. (They all went to lunch together in the same car without masks.)

DH's school is in person on a hybrid schedule. Their only cases were in staff, and they were diagnosed before the kids actually returned. They appear to have gotten it from elsewhere in the community.

Another school in DH's district has one of their entire sports teams quarantined because the coach and one player tested positive. A friend's school in yet another district has half of an entire grade level quarantined after a teacher and student (relative of teacher) tested positive. The school is not hybrid and not practicing social distancing, although kids have to stay masked.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

IMA Teacher
Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the update, I appreciate it! Stay well!

MaineSub

My two cents...
Old 10-10-2020, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've not had any issues (cases) in my very rural district, but other districts have... However, I would be very hesitant to immediately assume "cause and effect." There are many ways one can "catch COVID." There is some consensus in the legal community that "contact tracing" aside, it is near to be impossible to say exactly and with total certainty where and how an individual contracted it.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

My sister the pediatrician said
Old 10-10-2020, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My sister is a pediatrician in California and she says in the last couple weeks as kids have gone back to school and other daycare situations she has seen a significant increase in the number of cases coming into her office and a lot of them testing positive. One of the high schools that I sub for just reported a case, so Iím sure there will be more at that school. This is not gonna go away.

Tapdancesub

Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I work in a large suburban district with inadequate capability for distancing in the classroom. Theyíre talking about not returning in person/ hybrid til spring. We all know parents send sick kids to school, so itís likely for the best.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 10-10-2020, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is near impossible, if not 100% impossible, to know how an individual got it, but some things are more probable than others. Someone asked Dr. Godhi, a few weeks ago. (California) if there had been an increase of positives in places where schools had opened, and he said there wasn't, but I don't know how many actual schools have opened, so it's probably hard to say. I would think.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-10-2020, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have been open full time in person; teachers started in early August and students started full time September 1 (they came part time the week before that). I don't think it's reasonable to expect there will be no cases whatsoever in schools. We have an online option for families who weren't comfortable coming back. After the first case, several families then wanted to switch to the online option. Really, what were they expecting? The virus doesn't stop at school doors. If it's in the community, it's going to end up at school.

We've had very few actual confirmed cases. One middle school student, one HS teacher, and two elementary siblings. However, the quarantines and rules around that have been quite a lot to deal with. In one case, a grade level at my school was quarantined for a "presumptive positive." Turns out, it was a kid who had a persistent cough for several days, but family refused to do testing. They finally did the test and it turned out negative, so they brought that grade level back early.

Then we had another case where one class was quarantined because a family member was confirmed positive, even though they'd originally said we wouldn't quarantine for that. Still can't figure that one out- maybe the child said they had symptoms too? They (tri country health, state health people, not the district) change the rules constantly which causes chaos.

I will say, my district requires masks at all times for students of all ages, and that includes students with disabilities as well. Parents who claim their child can't/won't wear a mask are told they need to do the online option. Some districts in other parts of the state have said masks are optional or in some cases optional for younger students. Those districts haven't fared well. I hate wearing my mask and wish that things were different, but unfortunately it seems to be the best protection we have right now.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 10-16-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've been subbing in 6 districts so far in Wisconsin. I'm signed up with more, but some are virtual. We've had lots of cases. I've subbed for teachers who are quarantining, and have had many classes with less than 50% attendance because students have tested positive and others who were in close contact with them have to stay home too. The district I was in yesterday just changed back to all virtual, but there are another two that are planning to go back to face-to-face soon, I think next week.
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Thanks
Old 10-16-2020, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you so much for sharing that information, please stay safe!

bodhimom

Old 10-21-2020, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just got called from the school and set up for hybrid, in-class, job. I'm excited and looking forward to it, especially if half the number of students .
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote