Help

Substitute Teachers

District Sub Rate $200/day

>

jakeh

District Sub Rate $200/day
Old 11-06-2020, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just got an email from the district for which I sub saying our sub rate will increase from $130/day to $200/day. The district is planning to reopen schools in a hybrid model in a phased approach starting Thursday, November 12. The district has approved a new temporary COVID Sub Teacher daily pay rate of $200. This $200 daily sub rate is valid for days worked November 1, 2020 through May 27, 2021.

"Hybrid Learning Model will need sub teachers to facilitate learning in the classroom with the students physically present at the school site while the classroom teacher is teaching remotely from home. The sub teacher will act as a learning facilitator and supervise students physically present."

Shows me that 1) they want to protect the classroom teachers at home virtually from possible infection, 2) they may be very low on subs due to COVID-19 and a paucity of jobs offered, and 3) that currently active subs are not taking offered jobs due to same virus concern (even though the schools have been virtual since August 10th until November 12th. Just conjecture on my part.

I haven't subbed one day this school year, yet (EDD UI). I have subbed for this district since 1997.

jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Nice!
Old 11-06-2020, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure if my school will ever figure out that they'll need to pay more money to get people interested in subbing this year. They keep putting out requests on social media. But lots of people are not interested or able to sub in these circumstances. I'm currently filling in for a teacher out on quarantine. IAs are getting pulled for coverage on a regular basis. Just today teachers predicted a shutdown soon, mainly due to a sub shortage. They can't combine classes as they would usually do with a shortage.

This teacher did do a remote lesson one of the days, mostly to reassure the students that she is fine. Our middle school follows an A/B schedule, with half of the kids in person each day. Is yours doing something similar?
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 11-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

YayaSub wrote:

Quote:
Is yours doing something similar?
I don't do Middle school. I only do primary K-6 and prefer 1-4. They haven't decided on H/S opening yet, just that it may start November 30th. K-6 is only Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri, four days per week.

My county is, once again, very near a closure due to higher hospitalizations and positive cases, so I don't even know if schools will be open very long anyway. Daily case total returns to desired range in the county I understand as of today.

Hanging onto my UI as long as I can. Safer than going into an 'unknown' environment at the schools I at which I sub.
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 11-06-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So it's okay to expose subs but not teachers? I have no animosity toward teachers but I find that odd. Why can't the teacher be in the classroom?
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Ohiosubbie

Ohiosubbie

No raises here
Old 11-06-2020, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Although one district raised by 45 dollars but they dropped the temp agency. So wonder what the agency charged to get us jobs

Schools are still in person and business as usual.

I refuse to go back. I hear rumors that students and staff are in quarantine. One teacher (rumor) supposedly had to continue in person although exposed and should have quarantined.

MissESL

Wow!
Old 11-06-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hope that is a permanent raise. Many more people would step up to sub for a decent amount of money.
Not sure about right now...it’s like you’ve just received “an offer you can’t refuse.”
That’s probably what they are going for...are you considering it?

Technically we should have subs for any teacher that is quarantined, but it’s mostly being covered by teachers on there prep hours, bc the SINGLE sub who agreed to come back got sick and changed his mind! It hasn’t resulted in any building closures, but last week one building had most of the aides covering classes.

Sublime - I think that language is unclear, but I assume it’s like my district. In my district it means they need a person to supervise students that chose to be in-person when the teacher is quarantined. That teacher would still teach from home via zoom or whatever, so the sub would be the “adult in the room” keeping an eye on behaviors and keep kids on track.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

sila

Old 11-07-2020, 12:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Good news .

I really hope that trend they show to other school dists also .
At least until this pandemic calms down .

I go to work every day but sure with tension coming back .
I canít sit home as per need of money to support my kids .
But if I bring back home covid ,who pay my hospital extra bills and family ?Do I make enough to save to pay that ?
It is not small tension that goes in mind .
With most schools in our area opening ,with covid numbers stay same or rising .

Great news to hear that you got a hike .
sila is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-07-2020, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Sublime - I think that language is unclear, but I assume it’s like my district. In my district it means they need a person to supervise students that chose to be in-person when the teacher is quarantined. That teacher would still teach from home via zoom or whatever, so the sub would be the “adult in the room” keeping an eye on behaviors and keep kids on track.
That's how it was working in my district too, when we were in person (we had to go back to remote this past week). The teacher would only be teaching remotely if she was quarantined. In situations where it was only the teacher and not the students also who were quarantined, a sub was needed to have a physical adult in the room. This happened a lot with our specials teachers. If anyone in the cohort got sick, they were exposed because they'd spent time with every class in the cohort. So they'd be quarantined along with that one class, while all of the other classes in that cohort were still in person.

This actually would have happened to me had we not just switched to remote- I'm so thankful for that timing! My teammate tested positive. I'd been exposed to her, so I'm quarantined, but we don't have the same students, so my students wouldn't have been quarantined. So I'd have to teach remotely while all of my students were still at school in person.

We are also paying our subs $200 per day this year, and we have 4 building subs that come every single day- one for each cohort. If they're not needed for actually subbing, they have other basic tasks to do. This was also an incentive for them to come sub for us- they have a guaranteed job, in the same place, every day, and they're often getting paid for not even having to actually sub that day. Or they only sub for short periods while covering meetings or something. In a normal year we struggle with getting subs, but with this pay and set up, we filled those positions.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 11-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

ok, I understand. In my district there are pods of students at school who cannot stay home (due to parents working, etc). Those subs who were interested got positions (with higher pay) supervising those students while they are connected to their teachers on-line. It didn't sound ideal to me so I didn't take advantage of it.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 11-07-2020, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've been working almost every day this school year, in WI which is a hot spot. Some of my assignments have been just like you describe. I'd love it if we had an increase in wages like that!

mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Iíve subbed hybrid
Old 11-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

High school and middle school. Teachers taught from home and I supervised, or teachers posted assignments or videos of their teaching on Classroom, and I supervised. I have taught p.e. At the middle school doing both remote and in person, but the other p.e. teacher actually taught while I supervised those online (2 computer screens, so up to 50 students in both classes). One time, both teachers recorded the lesson, and all I had to do was make sure my students were all on their chromebooks and doing the exercises the teachers were teaching. It was hectic, but doable.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

No raises here
Old 11-09-2020, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

There have been no raises in any of the districts where I sub and they are begging, pleading, and having principals and administrators call subs on Friday afternoon asking us to work for them the following week. I've picked up a building sub position in a district that is close to home.

One district dropped me after I filled out their survey with the "honest feedback" they were looking for. I told them they needed to pay more (currently lowest paying district), stop sub switching (nearly every assignment), and if they hired subs into contracted positions they might have more subs.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-13-2020, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have worked every single day without pay raise but it's ok because I've come in late or left early and they still pay me for a full day. ALso, while in hybrid, I have not had ONE behavior issue...no issues at all. It's wonderful being in a class of 8-10 kids!!! I've had classes of anywhere from 1-5 kids in a room as well. I absolutely LOVE it.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote