Retired Teachers

Time to get started...

>

EdfromBama

Time to get started...
Old 01-10-2020, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning to all-
Well, I plant this year's tomatoes in the mini-seed starter today. We're trying a lot of different maters this year, and I hope we have good luck- last year was a bust.
We're picking some very good broccoli right now- very good baked or in cream of broccoli soup- one of my favorites.
Carrots are about ready to pick- fresh carrots are remarkably good.
We're just about through with processing juice from our Satsumas. We had a very good crop of Mandarin oranges this year.
In a week or so after we get this current squall line and storm system that's blowing through tomorrow I will plant our snap peas and snow peas. I do like these early peas in stir fry and especially in white sauce with new potatoes- the first crop of taters are coming up well, by the way.
So that's where we are, garden wise- how about you all?

good day to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 01-10-2020, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good morning!
My garden is bare, but will soon be covered in 7-12 inches of snow. Your description is a great reminder of the spring that will come. I need to do some planning!
cabernet is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

in the desert
Old 01-10-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have two growing seasons. I'm growing some winter squash, because the ones in the stores have all the flavor bred out. The bunch from late spring/early summer was great. Right now it's slow going because of our chilly weather and shorter days.
Our lemon tree has a bonus crop. We're picking and donating like crazy.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: lemons
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Shelby- We picked and brought home a good bunch of lemons from the trees in my son's yard in Phoenix- well, Chandler, to be accurate.
anything picked and used fresh is better than store bought.
good day to all- Ed

Cat woman

Old 01-10-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are making me jealous! There will be no planting or fresh veggies here for at least 5 months .

I will be prepping my milkweed seeds soon by cooling them before planting in about 2 months...... food for monarch caterpillars

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Planting
Old 01-10-2020, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am looking at 12 of snow out my window, 18 degrees on the thermometer, and the garden catalogs on the coffee table. Need I say more?
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 01-10-2020, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My garden is blocked by a 5 foot pile of snow left by the plow guy. I have been looking at seed catalogs, but no planting for awhile.

Traditionally seeds are started indoors on Town Meeting Day in March, and in the ground on Memorial Day. Those dates work for tomatoes, but I often plant cold weather crops in April.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Gardening??
Old 01-10-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

By Sunday morning, there will be 1/2" of ice under the ten inches of snow that is on the way.

I won't be gardening much this weekend.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: gardening here- that's why we're here
Old 01-11-2020, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Good morning to all-
We have to get our tomatoes ready to go out in the garden by the end of March. If we wait too long to set them out, they die from Gulf Coast heat and humidity in late June/July. Peas can go in right now- hope for no hard freezes. Green beans go in end of February or early March depending on the year.
Yes, it's different down here from our years spent in the Midwest where we'd watch the snow drift across the roads and the kids would be whining about wanting to start baseball practice on the field and couldn't because of the snow and cold.
In fact, that's all why we're down here.
It was on a grey, very cold early April afternoon and I had my tenth graders reading independently- and they were doing it, for once- and I watched the snow pile up in the parking lot where I'd be doing after school duty in an hour or so- and I realized that down south right at that time, the flowers were blooming, the fish were biting, the breeze was soft and gentle off the Gulf of Mexico, and the gumbo was starting to bubble and smell so good.
We moved that year when Child #2 graduated.

good day to all- Ed

timeforbed

garden
Old 01-11-2020, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thoughts have turned to what I want to plant in some containers on the back porch. Seedless cukes for sure. Some herbs. A few green bean plants at the trellis by the back steps. A few raspberry bushes. (My brother and sis-in-law have many raspberry bushes in the garden next door, but I have to go over in the middle of the night to raid their bushes if I want to get to the berries before my neice does. She can strip down a bush in nothing flat.

That's all I'm going to attempt this first summer up here in the great frozen north.

The rest of the planting is going to be perenials and flowering bushes. I may attempt a row of hydrangeas along the front fence facing the road. Green and white ones. Maybe a pink one or two thrown in.

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote