Help

Sixth Grade

How did you tell them?

>

Jewelsey

How did you tell them?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am 13 weeks pregnant and barely showing, but I already have students asking other teachers if I'm pregnant. I've only told a few close friends and plan on telling my principal after we get back from the holiday break. So I have a few questions...

1) How did you tell your administration?

2) How did you tell your students?

3) How did you handle any questions that they posed?

Thanks.

Jewelsey is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I told my principal before we started trying that we were planning a baby for the next school year (small school, and I consider her a friend). After I got pregnant, I told my principal and school staff after family knew (I knew I would want their support if something went wrong, and it was fun to share that exciting time with my friends). I did not tell my students until after we heard the baby's heartbeat at around 12 weeks. We recently had our ultrasound, and I shared some of the pics with my students - they are super excited. I didn't really get any questions besides - "Is it a girl or a boy?"

My little girl is due in April . Good luck with your pregnancy. It is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. Can't sleep right now because the little dear keeps kicking me. . . and I love it!
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've had 2 children, and I miscarried once (started while teaching). The miscarriage was my first pregnancy and I was glad I waited to tell anyone but my principal. The other two I told once I'd gotten through the 1st trimester and had heard the heartbeat.

Each time I told my principals early, so they would understand when doctor's appointments came up and could find a maternity leave sub more easily. I just had a meeting with them and let them know my wonderful news, always very supportive. Then I discussed with the principal the best way to let the students and families know, usually I told the entire class my good news, and like PP I didn't get too many questions other than the gender, and will I still teach. So many of them have younger siblings and cousins that they are used to pregnant people and are just as excited about the upcoming baby as you are.

My oldest is 9 now, and I saw one of my 4th graders from when I was pregnant with him (now a junior in college). She said she still remembers the class making a quilt for him as a present for me and asked if I still have it (which of course I do). They really do get just as excited as you.

Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

subbed
Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is kind of off the topic, but I'm retired but subbed for one of our team members when her baby - due in June - came in May. The story quickly went around about her "water breaking" while at the baseball game.

These were 7th graders, BTW. As I started the lesson for the day, one boy raised his hand and - you guessed it - "What does water breaking mean?"

You could have heard a pin drop - and our classrooms are carpeted!!!

So I explained it by saying babies are carried in kind of a water filled balloon and when the balloon breaks, the water comes out signaling the baby will be born soon. And went on to the lesson, praying no more questions came.

I guess you had to be there, but I'll never forget being blindsided like that.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

kyusho

Students
Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your students really are interested in who you are. They want to know your favorite college team, about your family, your interests, music you like. I always liked the idea of making a board about the teacher on the first day of school. Let them know all about you.

I had always planned to make a board about myself to introduce myself to my students when I got my very own classroom. I had a lot of ideas....

kyusho is offline   Reply With Quote

angelfrog

Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My son is now a year and a half. When I was pregnant with him while teaching 5th grade. I told my P first. He was thrilled for us, and very supportive. I waited to tell my students until into the second trimester. I did a big anagram on the board that spelled out "Mrs. **** is having a baby." (or something like that). I had a "Baby Ruth" bar as the prize for figuring it out. Before we got into the million question game, I set ground rules that everyone has the option to not answer personal questions, but that I would try to answer any questions for they as honestly as I could. Really they had some great questions in the end. Sometimes I would tell them to ask their parents, other times to research the answer to find out more. They wanted to know things like, "How will he know how to breathe if he's been underwater all this life?" I was also very clear that even though I would soon be having a huge belly, that personal space is still expected, and that it wouldn't be appropriate for any of them to come up and touch my stomach (or any part of anyone for that matter) without asking first.
Congrats!!!
angelfrog is offline   Reply With Quote