Help

The VENT

Feeling Hurt

>

Phebemarie

Feeling Hurt
Old 09-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year, part of my school had to be condemned and with it my classroom and stage where I've directed 30+ plays. It still stings thinking of it. Because money is not overflowing in my district, three teachers have been moved to adjacent buildings owned by the county. The room I'm in is large, but open and impossible to secure completely. Half of it is also used for the make-shift cafeteria. There's an elevated stage with a kitchenette right beside my classroom area.

Because I am away from the main building, I'm feeling a distinct separation from the rest of the staff...and it hurts.

It's been a difficult year. Last spring, a club that I really enjoyed advising was taken from me. The principal didn't have any substantial reason for doing this. She mentioned that I had a lot on my plate (and that's true), but gave no other reason.

This fall, I requested an assignment as upper level class advisor. I'm also NHS advisor and thought it would be easier if I had the older students as advisees. Again, my request was turned down even though the principal said openly at a staff meeting that she had to beg another teacher to take the position.

Today, a teaching assistant came into my classroom (there's an elevated kitchen immediately adjacent to my teaching area) and stashed food in the refrigerator. When I asked what she was up to, she said the football team was having a team dinner in the "cafeteria" that evening and the principal had given her permission to use the facilities. In fact, they were using the area for team dinners throughout the rest of the season. My question, why wasn't I informed? My classroom area is open to any one who might decide to wander through. It's just one of many small things that make me feel like I'm not part of the staff anymore.

I'm feeling sad and it's only the third week of school. The principal is overworked and gets short with anyone who questions her. I don't know what to do. Lay low and hope nothing else happens seems the only choice right now.

Phebemarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

((Hugs))
Old 09-20-2019, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This sounds like an untenable situation for everyone. I'm sorry that it makes you feel like you are an outsider.

Is there any way you can get some kind of room dividers to separate your room area from the kitchen area? Defining your own space would send subtle messages to anyone who enters the room. You could also put obvious classroom signage on the doors...

Again, I'm so sorry you are going through such displaced, cut off feelings. Please accept my commiseration.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-20-2019, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
....my request was turned down even though the principal said openly at a staff meeting that she had to beg another teacher to take the position.
Im so sorry youre hurt, but honestly, I think this is a message to you.

Iiwy, Id make an appointment with my principal and flat-out ask.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Feeling hurt
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Temporary lodgings are always tricky.

You should not just sit and wallow...go directly to your P and ask about securing the room AND why he removed you from other positions. Could be a terrific learning moment for you. Maybe you have taken on too much.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote