What would make an Assistant principal go back to being a teacher??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

What would make an Assistant principal go back to being a teacher???

>

Ohana

What would make an Assistant principal go back to being a teacher???
Old 10-02-2019, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you have about 15 years of experience as an AP what would make one transfer to another district and be a teacher ??

Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Two thoughts
Old 10-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For one, admin is much different than teaching. I know the salary is more, but that's not everything. It's not the end all, be all. Some may not be happy in admin and go back to teaching. Admin can be rough. I know teaching is, too, but some people get sick of the commitment with admin (night events, sporting events, etc.) and the parents (think about parent complaints teachers get-admin gets probably around that same amount for all the teachers, on top of school complaints).

At my old school, last year, we had a really good AP in his first year. That school as a messed and fired him, basically because he tried to hold everyone accountable. He went back into teaching.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

different possibilities-
Old 10-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1. mismanaged a situation and was told resign or else
2. ran afoul of some board member
3. let go for someone's relative and left in embarrassment
4. burned out (just like teachers do sometimes) and wanted to be in the classroom again
5. figured they weren't going to ever get to be a principal

I can see wanting to change districts if one wasn't successful in administration. Fifteen years stuck as an AP...
Singvogel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I've known more than one....
Old 10-03-2019, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

...principal who chucked administration and went back to teaching. In most cases, it was because they were tired of being the "bad guy" all the time and weren't highly enough motivated by money to stay in a job they hated. Principals who were good teachers sometimes hate the policies they are expected to enforce as much as teachers do. Did his financial situation change? I know one who went back to teaching after 18 years (as both AP and P) when his last child graduated from college.

A move to another district is pretty much the only way to go if a principal decides to hang it up because it's hard to work with people you have supervised.

In my experience, APs who are disgruntled about not being promoted usually apply for head principal jobs at other schools if they feel they're not ever going to get promoted in their current job. Same thing for principals who have gotten into some type of conflict or trouble; they usually just go to a different district as an administrator.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-03-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We had an AP who decided to go back to teaching after she had her kids. I think teaching offered a bit less stress.

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 10-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We had a superintendent who moved cross country and took a job as a middle school teacher.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

AP to classroom
Old 10-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My district had 2 AP's go back to teaching last year. One of them even stayed in the our district. She said that being an admin was miserable and she didn't care about the money.

My own admin talks about going back to the classroom all time.
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

Family
Old 10-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One of our APís chose to go back to teaching this year because she felt being an Admin kept her away from her kids and husband. Money wasnít an issue and she was only an AP for 3 years.

I like this thread. I donít think I could ever handle being an administrator and I appreciate the perspective that teaching is a better option for some.
heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

My dad was a principal
Old 10-03-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This was a long time ago, when we kids were young. He went back into the classroom because he worked long hours with meetings and dealing with school stuff. He wanted to have time for his family. Plus, he missed teaching. He was a principal for about 10 years.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Admin isnt
Old 10-04-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For everyone. Could be positive or negative reasons. Personally, I love teaching and have no desire to move to admin despite being given leadership positions over the years. Maybe they decided they wanted a change.

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

mistydawn

Assistant Super.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We had an assistant super. take a job as a principal in a seaside town where he wanted to retire.

His retirement was based on his salary as an assistant super. but he needed a few more years toward retirement.
mistydawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

Old 10-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know a principal who became a full time teacher after being a very successful and beloved principal for twenty plus years. He retired. Then he did some consulting work for about a year or two. Then he went back into the classroom full time. After teaching for about five or six years he retired again. Now he is an administrator at a private school where he also teaches the occasional class. He is approximately 74/75 years old. He is greatly admired by everyone. He loves teaching.
Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 10-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My husband left admin after 10 years to return to teaching. He missed the kids. He missed the peer relationship with other teachers. He grew tired of lots of his admin responsibilities (budget, angry parents, politics, etc).
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-04-2019, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've worked for two principals who were fired. Both were told by HR to tell the staff that being an admin was keeping them from spending time with their families and that for their family's sake, they were going back to teaching in order to spend more time with them. The first one did it and the second one refused and told the real story.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 10-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our former principal moved out of state due to her husbandís job. She was comfortable as admin in our small private school, but didnít want to continue in that when she moved. She is now teaching in a public school.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote