Help

The VENT

Nevada law this year

>

OldBird

Nevada law this year
Old 10-02-2019, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This fall, 3 days before school started, I completed my online employee training. Our wonderful legislature changed the rules for physical restraint from, " if a danger to self or others," to, "if a danger to self," alone. They, in their wisdom, also made it against the law to suspend any student age 11 or under without first convening the school board to render a decision. As such, I've had a student in class, confine to office during recess, for nearly a week after this student brought a large weapon to school. Student was never suspended. This is only one of many scary situations in my district. Anyone else having issues like this?

OldBird is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-03-2019, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not to that extreme degree....that's nuts! I honestly do not understand how enough people can go along with that to the point of passing a law.
But my school has been all over the media the last few weeks for so much unsafe crap. I posted earlier this week under " this is so wrong"
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yikes-Ca ed code makes not just suspension, but expulsion mandatory if a student brings a weapon.

Quote:
EDUCATION CODE SECTION 48915:
(a) Mandatory Recommendations, Permissive Expulsions: Except as provided in subdivisions (c) and (e) the
principal or the superintendent of schools shall recommend the expulsion of a pupil for any of the following acts
committed at school or at a school activity off school grounds, unless the principal or superintendent finds that
expulsion is inappropriate, due to the particular circumstance:
(1) Causing serious physical injury to another person, except in self defense.
(2) Possession of any knife, explosive, or other dangerous object of no reasonable use to the pupil.
(3) Unlawful possession of any controlled substance listed in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 1053) of
Division 10 of the Health and Safety Code, except for the first offense for the possession of not more than one
avoirdupois ounce of marijuana, other than concentrated cannabis. (For second offense, any amount,
expulsion recommendation is mandatory. (AR 5131.6)
(4) Robbery or extortion.
(5) Assault or battery, as defined in Sections 240 and 242 of the Penal Code, upon any school employee.
That being said, we are seeing laws passed that eliminate willful defiance suspensions-at any grade. So they can act out and make learning impossible all they want but if they dont assault someone they are fine. I have talked to several middle school teachers in my area who have been threatened and had the student come up in their face and scream threats and nothing happens-not even more support for the students (who clearly need it). Also minor injuries are being ignored-only serious injuries are taken seriously so now when anyone is injured the union suggests they get medical care to document the injury and get a doctors opinion on its severity.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

OldBird

Reply to Kinder
Old 10-05-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sorry to see that, Kinder. Similar at my school...incidents causing small injuries or defiance incidents get documented in SWIS, a PBIS portal as Minor Behaviors. But I'm not sure whether that makes a difference. That's why I keep a journal daily.
Every adult is supposed to reply sweetly and respectfully to whatever abuse the kids give them. It's my last year so I'm not holding back, on my kids or any others I have a run in with. The thing about it, the kids love me; hugs every day...even those who are not in my class. They crave discipline and structure...how frightening for a child to be able to rule over the adults in his or her life.
OldBird is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Need parents
Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These kind of laws will only be fixed if parents scream, loudly, about their children's safety.

Concern for teachers won't do it. (We signed up for this, after all.) Either some poor child has to get hurt and the parents sue, or the parents are aware and take to social media and the news.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote