Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

It's Christmas Time!

>

ICrazyTeach

It's Christmas Time!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:50 PM

No. No it's not. My cousin just posted pictures of her tree she put up today. I think I'm going to have to block her for a month

When do you decorate? Do you go early to enjoy it longer? Start after Thanksgiving? Wait until a right before?

I LOVE Christmas and all the decorating. Once Thanksgiving is done I am all in.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Christmas
Old 11-02-2019, 04:06 PM

The first of December was when the Advent Calendar went up, the nativity, wreaths on the door etc. The real tree didn't go up until a week before Christmas so it wouldn't dry out.
This year I'm thinking of decorating the Sunday before Thanksgiving just to beat my daughter.
I like to leave Some of Christmas up through the dark days of January.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 11-02-2019, 04:10 PM

Many people decorate for Christmas in a much more extravagant and time consuming way than in generations past. For many people, Thanksgiving is no longer a celebration of harvest (most of us aren't connected to agriculture), but a time of thankful celebration with family and friends that kicks off the Christmas season. You don't have to like or even agree with that idea, but I think that a rational explanation of why Christmas decorations go up earlier and earlier.

Thanksgiving is late this year. Those who wait until after Thanksgiving will have a shorter period of time to enjoy the decorations. My experience is that early decorators are also early removers. When I first moved to NC, I was shocked by how early trees went up and even more surprised to see them sitting on the curb the day after Christmas! Where I grew up, the trees came down either on New Year's Day or January 6 (Epiphany).

This is my off year for family. That means the Thanksgiving whole family get-together is the weekend after the official holiday. I plan to have my Christmas decorations up the beginning of Thanksgiving week, although I probably won't light any lights until Thanksgiving Day.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Christmas
Old 11-02-2019, 04:22 PM

I always decorate the day after Thanksgiving.
If we’re going to be gone for Thanksgiving I decorate before we leave. I leave them up i until New Years.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 11-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Winter came early this year. We've already had 1 snow day and 1 early release. I'm tempted to start early this year and start putting up my white lights/garland. Not the tree...

My living room is so pretty with the decorations I put up. It's the only time of year I actually LIKE my living room!

All that to say, yep...this year I may start early! As for taking them down, they are sometimes still up until the end of January (see above). The year I got sick and ended up in the hospital during the holidays, they were up until March! . They bring me joy/harmony.

eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Christmas
Old 11-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Um, not yet! At least wait until thanksgiving. Our tree is fake so after TG is ok. I do not want to look at a tree for 2 months!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-02-2019, 05:22 PM

My teammate was blasting Christmas music at work yesterday morning. I told her to turn that nonsense off! I know a lot of people who consider November 1st the appropriate time to start Christmas stuff.

I personally wait until after Thanksgiving, but I do like when Thanksgiving is earlier, like last year, so there is more time to enjoy the decorations. I have a few seasonal/fall things out now, but Christmas is the only time I really go all out with decorations.

I honestly would put them up earlier, but I go out of town for an entire week of Thanksgiving and my cat is left here in the house (with a pet sitter who visits). I don't want to give him extra stuff to mess up when he gets bored/lonely. He does okay with the tree (mine is pretty small) but it seems silly to put it up and then leave.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I would leave decorations up all year
Old 11-02-2019, 05:40 PM

I love the twinkly lights.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 11-02-2019, 07:33 PM

Usually I wait until around Thanksgiving. Every other year my niece is here for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas, so we celebrate Christmas then with her.

I'm not opposed to putting them up now. I enjoy them after DST ends since it gets dark so early. Even more so this year since we got a bunch of snow on Halloween. I say once we get a snow that needs to be shoveled, the decorations can go up.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 11-03-2019, 04:02 AM

We always wait until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. That is when we get back from my parents house. My DH always asks us to wait, but the children and I love to get things out.

This year we might just set up the tree before we leave for Thanksgiving and put up everything else when we get back.

Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 11-03-2019, 04:31 AM

I love Christmas too! I start planning and buying way before Thanksgiving. I already bought my 90% of my gifts, bought the gift wrap, and bought my new decorations. However, everything is in my basement in boxes. I will bring them out Thanksgiving weekend. I spend Black Friday early morning finishing up shopping. I come home and wrap everything. Then it's time to deck the halls. I love getting the decorations up early. However, every speck of Christmas is gone from my house on New Year's Day. I can't imagine going back to work and still having the decorations up.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 11-03-2019, 04:55 AM

We decorate after Thanksgiving is over. Usually the following weekend.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-03-2019, 05:22 AM

Don't rush time, it already goes fast as it is, ha!

I started looking around for restaurants to see if I wanted to book reservations for a TG buffet this year. Did it once when the price was at a nice $25 per person.

I'd love to go to Disneyland's hotel dinner buffet for TG one year...won't be this year though at $180 per person!

Re: Christmas, I like having the tree and decorations up for at least a full month!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 AM

Our tree goes up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It comes down on New Years Day. I miss the excitement of starting the Christmas season the day after Thanksgiving. I love Christmas, but preparing gets earlier and earlier every year.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-03-2019, 08:03 AM

My Christmas spirit definitely changed after my kids grew up. No one wants to help decorate (or clean up) so I don't even feel like doing anything. I took a 3 foot tree out of the closet last year and stuck it on top the coffee table the week of Christmas. No decorations other than the one little battery operated lights that I found with it.

This year will probably do the same thing. Maybe I will bring our tree back from CO, since both my kids work through the holiday with only the day of off. Eh, I don't even care enough to do that.

Definitely never did any Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. I didn't put my tree up until December. Usually was ready to take it down right after the actual day.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 11-03-2019, 08:50 AM

i wait til December 1.
yesterday i saw a wreath on a car. too early!!
i want thanksgiving to be special, and christmas is a separate holiday.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

I like to get the work done early.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 AM

That way I can enjoy the holidays. I'm finishing up shopping this weekend. I bought a few new decorations yesterday. I'm waiting for my gift wrap to be delivered from my granddaughter. (I bought it through a school fundraiser.) I'll have most of my presents wrapped and ready to go under the tree when I put it up on Thanksgiving weekend.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 11-03-2019, 01:42 PM

We start after Thanksgiving, usually. I like celebrating one holiday at a time. I am a do what makes you happy person, so I have no issues with other people starting early, and who knows what we'll do this year. TBH, I see most of my decorations as clutter, haha! I do enjoy our tree, because of the ornaments and where they all came from( kids' crafts, trips, parents, ornament exchange , etc.)
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Christmas
Old 11-03-2019, 01:45 PM

I love decorating the day after Thanksgiving, although with my kids' work schedules the past few years, we end up decorating Thanksgiving night. That works, too!

I don't mind people decorating before Thanksgiving, but I personally prefer one holiday at a time. With a tree up, I think Thanksgiving would feel more like Christmas dinner - and that's a whole other event.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-03-2019, 03:40 PM

I'm fine with it until everyone is so sick of Christmas they take everything down before the 12 days of Christmas are over! We can't even find Christmas music on the radio. It' s like the song should go "on the second day of Christmas.... everyone took down their trees and turned off the music."
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 11-06-2019, 11:53 AM

Just yesterday I saw someone on Instagram who had all their Christmas decoration up already—-
What!!!! too soon!
maui is offline   Reply With Quote