Help

The VENT

Education going in the wrong direction

>

maliamaya

Education going in the wrong direction
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for 20 years. I can be a bit of a pessimist, but here's my vent. I feel teachers are expected to be everything to everybody these days. You must always be happy, never "embarrass" a child, by embarrass I mean correct a child in front of others, you can't take away privileges anymore, don't raise your voice, implement several different behavior plans, teach a SEL (social emotional learning) lesson every week, have PBIS meetings 3x a week, etc., find the time to teach coding, there are NO consequences anymore, therefore how do you change a behavior "trauma" seems to be this years buzz word, but no instruction as to how to teach differently to children from trauma, in a daily schedule where I am not even getting everything done as it is! I feel as if I have to be a contortionist in order to please everyone and get everything done. It just feels futile sometimes...whatever happened to "just teaching"? Maybe I'm just too "old school", I'm just not P.C. enough...

maliamaya is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 11-05-2019, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am frustrated by the lack of clear information about what to do with children who experience trauma. I agree that we have lots of kids in this situation but there are so many highly paid people who come and go in my room and don't give me specific help with these children. These children especially need clear boundaries to understand that we care enough not to let them act in an unhealthy way.

Yes, I agree that we are asked to do positively everything. I sometimes feel like my plate is already full then I attend a meeting where they ask more of me and I can visualize that plate piling up and tipping over. I can't do it all.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Know what you mean
Old 11-05-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am frustrated because I have been dubbed the teacher that is good with students with issues, trauma, drug babies, autism, Tourette’s syndrome, anxiety, hydrocephalus, dads that died young and unexpected, (one just last week), but I only had one spec Ed class in college! I am afraid my scores will look like crap this year because I have some very difficult students. No one looks at that though!
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-05-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am going to say something that might be very unpopular.

Lots of kids experience trauma. We used to call this “life” and learned to deal with it. Now it is an excuse and everyone else has to figure out how to deal differently with them.

Certainly there are some very serious situations of trauma that happen in a number of children’s lives, no argument there. But the world doesn’t change how it interacts with those children. They need to find ways to cope with life, not the other way around. And just like the word bully, trauma is used way too often to be effective anymore.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Kahluablast
Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Agree. 100%

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I can very much relate to this post!

Teaching these days in a nutshell:

"Feel sorry for the students at all times. Even when they're insulting you. And most acting out behaviors are the teacher's fault."

Back in the 90's that would not have flied.

The main problem is schools have become parent-pleasing schools. Discipline is only implemented in severe cases now.

My question is this: If these children have been through severe trauma, why aren't they in a specialized classroom with aides and therapists? What are schools thinking when they place them in a mainstream classroom like that?
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-05-2019, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm with kahluablast. Kids need help dealing with stuff in life, not an excuse to be coddled and allowed to behave poorly.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

Ditto
Old 11-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm with kahluablast!
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 11-05-2019, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Well, this is a backlash of helicopter parenting. I have said it before, I realized that the next generation of parents had messed up when I was in grad school because kids only 7 or 8 years younger than me were bad at doing group work and taking constructive criticism. Some of them had this overblown fear of failure while doing a group assignment and insisted on doing all of the work on their own because they thought others wouldn’t do their share.

But I really saw that they weren’t tough skinned. Jokes I can make with my friends became these huge deals with millennials. I basically stopped saying anything because everything offended someone. These people can’t lead our society. I hope other countries are doing better.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Dh and I talk about this all the time. We grew up in the 70’s and 80’s. If you got knocked down, you got right back up and figured it out. Our parents did not help much with that. You had to rely on yourself and maybe a few good friends to figure it out. Kids today don’t know what to do once they are knocked down. We need to let kids make mistakes, fail a test, and solve a problem without it being a major episode.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Kahluablast
Old 11-05-2019, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I could not agree more. Thank you for your words of wisdom!
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Trauma and stuff
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
trauma, drug babies, autism, Tourette’s syndrome, anxiety, hydrocephalus, dads that died young and unexpected, (one just last week), but I only had one spec Ed class in college!
70Primrose, I have been a SpEd teacher for 17 years and still don't know how to deal with some of this!

Certain events in the lives of our students are not within a teacher's parameters to deal with. I can't help them meet all of their basic needs. I can't provide food all day or shelter when they leave the school. I can't be the parent they need when they go home to an empty house. We can provide them with tools to deal with these situations, but it can't just be on the classroom teacher. It takes a village.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but a colleague and I were discussing this just this morning. We are dealing with so many children with absent parents, broken homes, and broken souls. It breaks my hear.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Preach it, Kahluablast!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote
BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

Trauma
Old 11-06-2019, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My nephews (7 and 9) have lost both parents in the past two years. They have had real trauma, and I worry about them everyday! I want them to succeed, so they still get consequences, listen to the word no (My mom does allow them to get away with more stuff, then I ever did!). They are made to do homework, religious education, and work hard in school. And, they are pretty good at doing all we give them, with all the crap they have dealt with lately.

Sadly, the kids I have dealt with in the classroom have parents who don't hold them to decent standards, say "no" to them, and let them on technology all day. Most of the kids could not handle a papercut without breaking down into a massive fit.

Between the technology, the lack of parenting, and the putting responsibility on the government to raise kids - today's young people are screwed.